All content on site copyright © 2020 Caravel Games, All Rights Reserved, unless otherwise indicated.
The latest patches for DROD: The Second Sky, DROD: The City Beneath, DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold and DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon can always be found in our download area. If you're like me, you get sick and tired of everyone demanding you to upgrade your software. Well, it's your choice, buddy! Have a look at the list of improvements below and see if it's really worth it. Note that the latest patches will include any improvements from earlier ones. For example, if you currently have version 3.1 installed, then installing the latest patch will give you all of the improvements described below for 3.2, 3.3, and so on, up to the latest section of changes.
Changes included in patches are listed below.
The Second Sky
184.108.40.20665 (Too Many Beethros)
* Many bug fixes, stability and performance improvements (see here for the complete list)
The City Beneath
220.127.116.11 (The All-Seeing Eye)
* Many additions, changes, and bug fixes (see here for the complete list)
18.104.22.168 (The Golden Fegundo)
* Many additions, changes, and bug fixes (see here for the complete list)
Journey to Rooted Hold/King Dugan's Dungeon
Click here to view the secret text
- Explosions: now don't break crumbly walls under force arrows pointing the wrong way.
- Room editor: now tarstuff mothers can have unstable tar under them
- Export: optimized memory usage and speed
- Added "Startup:QuickPlayerExport" option to the INI.
- Path map fix that could potentially affect Halph and Slayer movement paths, but shouldn't break any rooms.
- CaravelNet: Fixed room conquer upload hang and key loss when connection is bad.
- Checkpoint save bloat when other entities activate a checkpoint. Semantically duplicate saved games are now checked for and deleted during player export.
- Halph: door opening replay speed optimization.
- NPC scripts: AppearAt sword fix.
- Room Editor fixes: couldn't place monster where NPC sword was after deleting the NPC; overlapping Halph & Slayer edge placement issues; error highlights now remain during script command AOE selection. Now can't paste obstacles under serpents. Stair placement now updates minimap. Level entrance now doesn't change orientation on Cancel.
- Fixed some memory leaks.
- Various stability and cosmetic improvements.
- Import player speedup.
- Room editor: Fixed bug: allowed cut-and-pasting NPCs onto serpents.
- Fixed help file error in 2.0.15 full/demo build.
2.0.15 (Journey's End)
- Huge player export speedup.
- Reduced memory allocation and fragmentation during import significantly.
- Made saved game and demo verification during import much faster.
- Added command line API for text localization (-exportTexts and -importTexts).
- Updated third-party libraries: SDL 1.2.11, SDL_ttf 2.0.8, libpng 1.2.12.
- Now "Wait 0" script command halts script execution till next turn.
- Seep in the open on room start now immediately die.
- Now can make NPCs look like decoys.
- In-game: press F7 to toggle move counter; Alt-F7 toggles framerate.
- CaravelNet: Now room rankings can be displayed during level exit sequence.
- CaravelNet: Now player may view room conquer demos if they are flagged as having conquered the room on the server.
- Can now delete SS holds from the hold list.
- Added INI options: Startup->ValidateSavesOnImport and LogErrors.
- Now stairs ending hold are marked in the room editor.
- Optimized database set+query operations.
- Reduced delay going to and from editor screens.
- Now duplicate NPC script text labels aren't allowed.
- Evil eye: now can spot decoys when player is invisible and outside smell range.
- Fixed crash when starting a game on stairs that end hold.
- Now you can't remove a level's main entrance room to another level.
- Now a door can't be made to have multiple associations with one orb, allowing orb lightning to empty tiles.
- Room conquer demos weren't recorded when leaving an initially empty room after undoing or restarting.
- Script "Wait for Monster stabbed" event didn't catch rock golems breaking.
- Player sound preferences not always set correctly on startup.
- Fixed game display issues: incorrect persistence of user-clicked tile highlighting, burning fuse non-display, shadow of a wall under an obstacle can be cast onto the obstacle, missing error highlight.
- Fixed small text.dat file bloat when playtesting, deleting holds and player profiles.
- Removed erroneous saves to disk during demo playback or playtesting.
- CaravelNet: sometimes wrong conquer demo lists would show up. Network interface now more robust to errors. Now JtRH users may delete the KDD Smitemaster's Selection hold.
- Game more robust to bad data files.
- Fixed conquer demo error when saved in empty rooms. Fixed demo display assertions.
- Fixed "end on room exit" script bug.
- Fixed speech memory leak.
- Fixed double-song play.
- Editor: Couldn't playtest a room on a level entrance w/ arrow or potion. Now can start playtest w/ sword on a monster. Serpent placing stopped working after tool tip pops up.
- Editor: Could make a broken serpent segment.
- Settings Screen: Keyboard UI now works on the check boxes.
- Fixed a speech voice loss bug during hold import in 2.0.14.
- Optimized disk saves.
- Now serpent type may be changed during placement.
- Fixed speech loss/crash after repeated editor playtesting, then undos.
- Fixed incorrect decoy/door highlighting.
- Fixed faulty 2.0.13 fixes.
- Added some alternate instant exit hotkeys: Ctrl-F4 (all OSes), Ctrl-Break (Linux/FreeBSD).
- Linux: Don't copy data files before reading DataPath.txt.
- NPCs can now move onto tunnels.
- Now can't place wraithwings on stairs in the room editor.
- Brain pathmaps: should not consider preplaced mimics and Halph as obstacles. Broken rock golems destroyed by bombs should be removed as pathmap obstacles.
- Multiple player profiles now don't lose saved games on hold upgrade.
- Unstable tar tiles with monsters on them now break.
- Fixed crash when the player is recording a multi-room demo and deletes the previous demo in the sequence.
- Can't kill Halph and exit the level on same turn.
- CaravelNet: more robust to key loss due to connection failure.
- NPC script editing fix.
- Changing screen mode during playtest is now saved to player settings.
- Linux: Fixed memory detection issue.
- Linux: Load libX11.so.6 in stead of libX11.so for clipboard, etc
- Linux: Installer now works on amd64/x86-64 systems (w/32-bit emul.)
- OS X: Change location of data files to ~/Library/Application Support/Caravel
- Added AutoLogin INI option.
- Restarting room goes to false checkpoints.
- Cosmetic fixes and improved UI.
- Now demo recording isn't aborted when rewinding to a move inside the recording session.
- Lost drod.ini entries are now set to default values on startup.
- Reduced slowness caused by unneeded data saves.
- Faster in-game rewinding to a checkpoint save.
- Halph pathmapping faster with lots of monsters in the room.
- Script commands created, then changed to a Label type, couldn't be made Goto destinations.
- Victory demo recording wasn't working after restoring to the start of a clean room.
- Slayer's wisp couldn't find player on a tunnel; wisp shouldn't intersect decoy swords.
- Goblins now avoid decoy's sword when targetting the decoy.
- Now orb associations aren't lost when door tiles are deleted in the room editor.
- Scripted sounds wouldn't play repeatedly.
- Minor cosmetic and UI fixes.
- CaravelNet batch score upload: much quicker.
- Loads, saves, and data lookups: optimized (especially NPC script initialization and hold imports).
- Death restarts: Now pressing R during the death sequence will restart instantly.
- NPC: command coords were updated incorrectly when a room is reflected via F7/F8 in the editor.
- Room copying bug (in 2.0.9): Room records were duplicated when copying certain rooms from another hold in the level editor.
- Fixed several memory leaks.
- Minor aesthetic fixes.
- Import: now adds imported data faster and requires less RAM to perform.
- Movement animation: fixed jerky motion and increased frame rate when moving fast.
- CaravelNet beta holds: now can view demo lists for any rooms in beta holds.
- Rattlesnake: killing a rattlesnake by placing a mimic/decoy caused a crash
- Guards: could accidentally stab each other when next to the player
- Copying a hold: could potentially scramble staircase destinations; show demos were not being copied
- Copying a room to another hold: Kept a reference to the special floor image in the old hold, resulting in the image floor being lost when the room is deleted.
- CaravelNet demos: sometimes couldn't view demos in rooms conquered previously.
- Demo playback: fixed incorrect state display
- Time: 12PM was shown as 12AM.
- NPC: had wrong stab effect displayed for some monster types
- Seep: now won't be transparent while a double is being placed for better visibility.
- Other minor fixes.
- Game texts: weren't changing when only removing characters from the end.
- Import: more robust to invalid data.
- Hold upgrade: doesn't assume previously clean rooms are automatically conquered.
- Room editor: couldn't undo a character script view/edit. Removed confirmation on serpent deletion.
- Rattlesnakes: weren't killed by NPC sword stabs.
- Characters: subtle script fixes; invisible swords should not be treated as monster barriers; wubba NPC is now invulnerable by default; mimic/decoy NPCs can now light fuses and drop trapdoors.
- Export: Now can export hold speech script by enabling ExportSpeech ini parameter.
- Explosions: effect is no longer expansion order-dependent.
- Seep: kills by door now counted.
- Level start position: couldn't place sword on serpent.
- Minimap: room state wasn't updating when an NPC turns into a monster.
- Brain powerdown: was incorrectly playing on some room entrances.
- Stairs: double cast shadow.
- CaravelNet holds: augmented displayed hold information on download screen. On hold upgrade, demo scores can be re-uploaded. Beta holds now recognized.
- CaravelNet Scores upload: now faster and more friendly -- allows interrupting the process at any time. Cleaned up Internet options on Settings screen.
- Room UI: now can click on tunnels to highlight the exit tunnel. Added hold name to stats box. Refined minor handling issues.
- Demos screen: reduced delay when selecting a demo.
- Memory usage: Slightly optimized. Screen fades now take up 50% less memory.
- Modding: can now perform partial tile mods.
- Startup: could open more than one instance of the program at the same time, possibly causing data loss
- CaravelNet: Marquee crash when not connected; some CaravelNet holds were not matching up with local holds; now not allowed to download non-existent demos; now tracks version and OS.
- Room editor: could copy a monster onto a serpent head, causing a crash; placing NPCs wasn't updating where swords are located in the room; copy region highlight not being reset; fixed phantom orb-door associations after a copy-and-paste.
- Saved games: now overwrites the saved games at the beginning of a hold any time you start the hold from the beginning (via Play New Game). Now overwrites the saved games made at the start of a level if you enter the level w/o any rooms in it explored yet. Now the saved game made on exiting a hold is always resaved. The turn exiting a hold is now counted.
- Multi-room demos: now room featuring stairs exit won't mistake room as conquered; map now updates instantly on room change.
- Evil eye: gaze is no longer obstructed by a tunnel.
- Brains: now don't direct monsters toward an invisible player when a decoy is next to the brain
- Slayer: patched a tactical vulnerability; sometimes could have two wisps
- Tar mother: now grows when the player is invisible and a decoy is near it; now does not grow if a monster kills it on the same turn that it would spawn
- Character: fixed rapid running with MoveTo conditional; WaitForCleanRoom script command now waits until green doors have dropped.
- Serpents: now brained movement won't move them the wrong way off force arrows.
- Low-quality graphics: Turning off alpha blending now gives more benefit to lower-end systems (less frame rate drop instead of more complex rendering).
- High score submitting: Now demos you have already submitted are not tested again for submission.
- Door placement: Sped up placement of large yellow doors in room editor.
- CaravelNet key loss: Could invalidate your key on the settings screen after editor playtesting.
- Browser: Opening external browser from in-game while full screen might freeze cursor.
- Custom speech speaker: Was resetting to None after playing once.
- CaravelNet rank: Was not displaying higher scores correctly.
- Death animation: Fixed minor rendering problems.
- Explosions: Reduced delay when rendering large explosions.
- CaravelNet: Fixed problems showing extended ASCII chars.
- Import crash: when importing buggy DROD:AE beta holds
- Map: fixed incorrect color
- CaravelNet high scores: place text now correct for high numbers.
- Room editor: could leave while defining a script operation, causing assertions or crashes.
- Hold import: fixed player saves sometimes not retained during upgrade/downgrade.
- Special floor designation and import: fixed UI problems.
- File selection dialogue: fixed UI problems.
- Hold Select Screen: now all uninstalled CaravelNet holds appear at the bottom of the list.
- News marquee: can now click on hyperlinks. Telltale sound indicates news has been updated.
- CaravelNet: fixed crashes on connection failure
- Importing saved games: was flagging a hold as completed when no end stairs were in the "end hold" saved game's room
- Editor: crash after editing a room, deleting it from main editor screen, then viewing help
- Restore screen: wasn't showing levels where player hadn't entered at the main level entrance
- Change Location menu: Double-clicking the scroll bar selected the highlighted location.
- Title Screen CaravelNet news marquee: long texts were being truncated Decoy highlighting via mouse: compounded highlighting for multiple clicks
- Credits: updated screen
- Hold export: was incorrectly exporting bad values for special floors that no longer exist in the hold, causing import to think the hold was corrupted.
- Added MSVCP60.dll to install.
- JtRH L3:1N2W: fixed Halph script bug. Fixed L7 entrance typo.
- Full Screen: When a dialog box is active, using Alt-Tab to switch between applications caused the screen around the dialog to be black.
- Switching to windowed mode: When in full screen mode, after Alt-Tabbing between applications, switching to windowed mode moves the app window offscreen so it's no longer visible except in full screen mode.
- Halph: Couldn't follow Beethro over force arrows, scrolls or potions.
- Demo descriptions: Death demos were incorrectly recorded.
- Room stats dialog: Now real time elapsed is always current.
- Script assertion: StrikeOrbAt, when no orb is at square.
- JtRH L3:3N1W: fixed script problem allowing a Slayer kill