Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 3.3.0 Patch (Build 96 Release)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+7)  
TFMurphy and I have been doing some tag-team action (mostly TFMurphy) to bring this latest version of DROD to you. It involves several various enhancements, including some new features that can be put into scripting, so we're bumping this version to 3.3.0. This is expected to be the final major release involving a hold format update to DROD 3 before DROD 4 goes beta.

If anyone would like to help test, please check out the new features and changes listed below. Also, it would be helpful if you can verify that any bug fixes listed below are actually fixed (if you happen to know which bug reports they are addressing). If there's a problem with any of these fixes, we'll put out a new build to fix them before 3.3 goes official.

Edit: 3.3.0 is now officially released!

Change log and build history:

+: addition
!: change
*: bug fix

-----------
* Fixed: platform rendering issue when room is reflected in the room editor (thanks, TFMurphy!)

-----------
* Fixed: "C:\" directory access issue when trying to make a new path for the app data (thanks, Schik!)

-----------
* Fixed (Windows): couldn't run DROD after patching to build 93.
* Fixed (Windows): when running a fresh demo version (i.e. identified when path has "Demo" in the name), a "drod-3_0-demo" dir will be created for player files in the defined app data folder. It needs to be kept distinct from the full version player .dat files.

-----------
! (Windows) Added support for a player app data directory outside of the user's installation directory. Now no longer requires Administrator privileges by default to run the game on Vista or Windows 7. Backwards compatibility of maintaining player files in the app install dir is supported for existing installations.
! Mod files can now be placed in the app's program data dir instead of having to put them in the installation's Data folder.

* Script variable assignment: fixed whitespace parsing problem in expressions with multiple terms
* Fixed: script variable naming no longer allow vars with trailing whitespace
* Fixed expression parsing of vars with underscores
* Fixed: Now when a Label script command is added, any trailing whitespace is removed (see here)
* Fixed: double death of clone causes beeps (see here)
* Fixed: adder double kill of critical hero (see here) (thanks, TFMurphy!)

-----------

(thanks, TFMurphy, for all of these!)

+ Added colored "Cut Scene" text to the location scroll during a cut scene
! "Room start" button on the Restore Game screen now considers entering an unconquered room via level entrance, and not just entering from an edge
* Fixed some error log warnings about missing texts introduced in build 90.

-----------

+ NPC Scripting: (No) Ghost Display imperatives added that allow an otherwise invisible NPC be visible, i.e. it's still not in the room, but it is rendered (thanks, TFMurphy!)
+ NPC Scripting: Speech Speaker Player option added for greater ease of script speech design (thanks, TFMurphy!)
+ NPC Scripting: Added Set Music Default Music option for real this time (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Fixed some weather rendering issues [see here] (thanks, TFMurphy!)

-----------

+ Scripting: Added support for expressions when manipulating variable values.
+ Scripting: Added "(Default music)" option to the "Set Music" script command
+ Platform rendering: now platforms slide smoothly when moved
+ Light rendering: now light and shadow doesn't slide along with moving sprites (thanks, TFMurphy!)
+ Light rendering: improved over pits (thanks, TFMurphy!)
+ Room editor: Now holding "Alt" will show custom character tile images instead of the default type images. (see here)
+ Level editor screen: Now F3 and F4 will give you some basic stats about a hold or level, respectively [i.e. # of levels, rooms, doors].
+ Custom NPC tiles: Added warning message when an NPC's custom tile images might not render correctly because the image is not an even multiple of a room tile.
+ Slayer: Left-clicking on Slayers highlights their wisp trail. (thanks, TFMurphy!)
! Settings Screen: converted GUI to tabbed menu interface; added buttons to revert custom key commands to the default configuration (thanks, TFMurphy!)
! Scripting: Invisible Characters are now permitted to use Move to, Move and Wait for Player to Touch Me, using the same rules as in DROD RPG. (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* CaravelNet: performance and reliability improvements (thanks, Schik and TFMurphy!) [see this post for details]
* Staircase destinations: fixed so they don't break when rotating a room in the editor (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Halph: fixed assertion/crash when looking for path to pressure plate (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Room editor: having only mimics/decoys/clones in the room should now properly highlight green doors as an error (see here)
* Fixed an error message being logged of a fuse burning when a briar simultaneously grows onto it.
* Custom Styles: Using Default Sky no longer causes crashes. (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Custom Characters: Attempting to use Player Role to change to a Custom Character that uses Brain or Waterskipper Nest no longer causes crashes. (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Dead monsters are no longer unlinked from the process queue until their current turn has ended. (thanks, TFMurphy!)
* Conquer Tokens: Hitting a Conquer Token on Turn 0 is now handled correctly. (thanks, TFMurphy!)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-29-2011 11:11 PM]
07-18-2011 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+2)  
A few other fixes not mentioned for 3.3.0.90, but that you might find interesting:

! Scripting: Invisible Characters are now permitted to use Move to, Move and Wait for Player to Touch Me, using the same rules as in DROD RPG.
* Custom Styles: Using Default Sky no longer causes crashes.
* Custom Characters: Attempting to use Player Role to change to a Custom Character that uses Brain or Waterskipper Nest no longer causes crashes.
* Dead monsters are no longer unlinked from the process queue until their current turn has ended.
* Conquer Tokens: Hitting a Conquer Token on Turn 0 is now handled correctly.
+ Slayer: Left-clicking on Slayers highlights their wisp trail.

Also, looks like "Set Music (Default Music)" didn't actually make it into this build, I'm afraid.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-18-2011 10:29 PM]
07-18-2011 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+1)  
mrimer wrote: Also, it would be helpful if you can verify that any bug fixes listed below are actually fixed (if you happen to know which bug reports they are addressing).
I can confirm that Halph no longer crashes when pathfinding to a pressure plate, and Default Weather doesn't crash whilst using custom styles.
07-18-2011 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (0)  
It was written:
+ Room editor: Now holding "Alt" will show custom character tile images instead of the default type images.
[...]
! Scripting: Invisible Characters are now permitted to use Move to, Move and Wait for Player to Touch Me, using the same rules as in DROD RPG.
You have made my life much happier. Thank you.
07-18-2011 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
A few other fixes not mentioned for 3.3.0.90, but that you might find interesting:
Oops! Thanks for mentioning these. I'll add them to the list at the top and into the changelog.txt included in the patch.

07-18-2011 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+3)  
Would it be possible to get a patch for the Linux and/or OS X version as well as the Windows version? The current Linux version is 3.2.0.83 and there are no patches whatsoever (except for some KDD 'Neather fix) available for other OSes than Windows...

I realize that trick seems to be MIA, but are there any other Linux developers on the team?

07-19-2011 at 02:58 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+1)  
Stefan wrote:
I realize that trick seems to be MIA, but are there any other Linux developers on the team?

I'm a Linux developer who is technically not on the team but has collaborated with the team in the past. So I'm probably part of the way through the setup needed to get a Linux release built.

If it turns out I'm the best option for getting a Linux build, I could try and help out with that.
07-20-2011 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm going to keep trying various things but am just getting "Attempting to connect to CaravelNet". I'm glad the timeout seems to be extended but no joy at the moment :(
07-23-2011 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Timeout hasn't really been touched. As far as I'm aware, the following CaravelNet fixes/improvements have been implemented in this patch:

Explored Rooms: Entering a room should now immediately mark it as explored. This is done as a fast upload with no response expected from the server. If it happens to fail, the room you just entered should still be marked as explored properly when you leave the game to the main menu.

Cached Results/Queued Requests: The CNet code should now properly handle multiple requests. It should also no longer have a problem where it confuses the results of an old request with a new request, which was causing much of the "This room has no scores"/"This hold is not published on CaravelNet"/<List of wrong scores for room> data. Demos Screen now properly cancels requests when they're no longer required. There should also be fewer times when DROD absolutely demands that the current requests be dealt with, so hopefully no long pauses immediately after leaving rooms. (There may still be some when changing levels or exiting to the main menu, since those events attempt to make sure that all demos to be uploaded are done before finishing... this has a timeout of 10s, so that should be the longest it takes)

Hold Conquered: CNet should now get Hold Conquer status from simply uploading scores. You shouldn't *have* to conquer the hold while connected anymore.

Those are the only major changes implemented. If they have side effects that make stuff work better, then great. But it's sounding like your own problems are a lot deeper than that. It was interesting to read that DROD RPG works perfectly for you... I do have to wonder if your problem is connecting to a particular *part* of the site, since that's one of the major differences between the two sets of code.

EDIT: Another major difference is how much data you need to receive in order to be 'connected'. The hold list for RPG is vastly smaller than it is for TCB: something like 5kB vs 200kB.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-24-2011 11:43 PM]
07-23-2011 at 03:16 PM
mrimer

File: DRODTCBPatch3_3_0_build91.exe (1.6 MB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
Thanks for enumerating the CaravelNet fixes, TFMurphy.

Okay, here's a new patch (build 91). TFMurphy has added some scripting niceties that we were planning to hold off till DROD 4, but are already in the DROD RPG engine. Rather than make you wait for the next iteration of the game engine, and seeing that we are already incrementing the hold version value in 3.3.0, we thought it best to include them here. These simple additions should make certain types of involved hold scripting simpler to implement and maintain. See top post for full change list.

I think we're not planning on changing anything else before 3.3 is released unless bugs in the 3.3 changes are found, but devs are welcome to commit bug fixes in the interim.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-27-2011 04:48 AM]
07-27-2011 at 04:42 AM
mrimer
I've attached build 92 and its change log to the first post.

08-20-2011 at 03:52 PM
mrimer
icon DROD 3.3.0.93 Patch (+2)  
I've attached build 93 and its change log to the first post.

It contains some minor scripting and assertion failure bug fixes.

Edit: also, better support for mod file directories and now will keep the player files out of the install directory on new installs for full compatibility with Windows 7 and Vista.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-06-2011 01:06 AM]
09-03-2011 at 11:19 PM
mrimer
icon DROD 3.3.0.94 Patch (+3)  
I've posted build 94 beta (top post). This fixes an issue in build 93 where the drod3_0.dat file isn't being opened. Now the game should run whether you have a DataPath.txt file in the install dir from a previous version or not.

We've also done some code clean-up in preparation for the official 3.3 release, but there should be no other functional changes in this build. Please test things here and there. If this build exhibits no new problems, it will be the final 3.3 build!

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2011 06:32 PM]
10-22-2011 at 06:29 PM
mrimer
I've fixed the path creation issue Schik mentioned.
Build 95 above.

I think we need to fix the room reflection rendering bug Jacob reported that appeared in build 90 before releasing.

10-26-2011 at 04:42 PM
TFMurphy
icon Re: DROD 3.3.0 Patch (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
I think we need to fix the room reflection rendering bug Jacob reported that appeared in build 90 before releasing.
Okay, made an attempt at that. The reason behind the bug is that DrawPlatforms now expects the 'blocks' CCoordSet to be accurate, but platforms aren't explicitly reflected when the room is. The room tiles are, so when you test the room, the platforms are rebuilt from that. But the local working copy of the platforms aren't.

So I've put together a quick procedure to reflect the blocks CCoordSet. It does not update edgeBlocks, since I don't think those are actually used in Edit Screen, nor does it update CoveredOSquares, since those are already reflected by the room itself. But please check if I've missed anything: I only took enough time to familiarise myself with the Platform code, but I don't understand it well enough to be *completely* sure of this fix.

This fix will eventually need to be backported to DROD RPG, since that's where the bug originated (since it's just one more thing that the introduction of DrawPlatforms caused).
10-26-2011 at 07:42 PM
mrimer
Thank you, TFMurphy. I think these changes are sufficient for room reflecting in the room editor.
TFMurphy wrote:
This fix will eventually need to be backported to DROD RPG, since that's where the bug originated (since it's just one more thing that the introduction of DrawPlatforms caused).
I've done this, and also added support for room rotation in the RPG room editor.

Build 96 is available with this fix. Any other issues anyone wants to bring up? Speak now or forever hold your peace...until 3.3.1.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-28-2011 02:43 PM]
10-28-2011 at 02:42 PM
mrimer
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback on the 3.3.0 beta. I'll be posting the official release builds presently.

10-29-2011 at 10:43 PM
Yur-Val
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66

File: 1 4.jpg (40 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
what should I do when I see that window?

[Last edited by Yur-Val at 10-30-2011 07:52 AM]
10-30-2011 at 07:08 AM
mrimer
Yur-Val wrote:
what should I do when I see that window?
Install the patch to the directory where you already have "DROD: The City Beneath" installed.

10-30-2011 at 02:49 PM
mrimer

File: drod-tcb-osx-demo-3.3.0.build96.dmg (45.7 MB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon DROD 3.3.0 Patch - OS X Power PC (+1)  
I'm resurrecting this thread to announce that I've successfully built 3.3.0 for OS X (Power PC).

I'm attaching the TCB 3.3.0.96 demo installer here so Mac users can try it out. If this build works for you, then I'll make the full installer available to registered TCB users on the Downloads page.

If this build works, it also means that our Mac build woes are (mostly) behind us, and I can get to work on releasing DROD 4 for Mac!

No Intel build yet...one step at a time.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-20-2012 02:15 AM]
03-20-2012 at 02:13 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I have an intel Mac running Snow Leopard. It seems that Rosetta must have been eliminated or something because I can't run this file because it crashes (maybe I just misunderstood what Rosetta did). Sorry I can't help with the testing.

03-20-2012 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
west.logan wrote:
It seems that Rosetta must have been eliminated or something because I can't run this file because it crashes (maybe I just misunderstood what Rosetta did).
Crashes for me as well. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. My guess is that Rosetta has nothing to do with why this build is crashing, as all my other PowerPC applications work perfectly.
03-20-2012 at 12:24 PM
mrimer
Lamkin wrote:
west.logan wrote:
It seems that Rosetta must have been eliminated or something because I can't run this file because it crashes (maybe I just misunderstood what Rosetta did).
Crashes for me as well. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. My guess is that Rosetta has nothing to do with why this build is crashing, as all my other PowerPC applications work perfectly.
Yes, I thought that these Power PC builds would work up to before 10.7 Lion.

03-20-2012 at 02:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 3.3.0 Patch (Build 96 Release)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com