Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Conquered Holds (This may be a bug, or I might be doing something totally wrong.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tonyk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 45
IP: Logged
icon Conquered Holds (0)  
I have a question about conquered holds - I recently downloaded via CaravelNet the "Easy or Hard" hold by LarryMurk. Fun little hold.
Anyway, I finished it, got the conquered hold message at the end of the level, and the hold location list shows 100% next to the hold. I figured this would buy me an entry on the conquered holds listing for my profile. Apparently, I'm wrong. I've tried uploading my scores, but haven't gone so far as to re-download the hold and try it again. Any ideas?

PS: I'm assuming that the Dreamplane has to be finished in JtrH in order to conquer it....

03-08-2006 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Conquered Holds (+1)  
In order to conquer a hold you need to go down the stairs that end the hold, and get the ending screen. So you can conquer JtRH before you Master it...in fact, you have to go down the final stairs before the master walls will let you pass.

So if the final stairs of a hold take you back to the beginning, then it won't count as conquered. If there is a bug, I'm not sure whether it is a game or a forum one, but if you could let us know what version of DROD you are running that is always useful. Have you clicked on Upload My Scores in the Settings screen recently, just in case some information wasn't sent along to the server?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-08-2006 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tonyk
icon Re: Conquered Holds (0)  
I'm currently runing 2.0.12.
I have, in theory then, conquered (but not quite mastered ;) ) JtRH, since I've almost finished the Dreamplane. I've also seen the ending screen for the "Easy or Hard" hold, but the server believes I haven't even explored that hold yet.

I've also tried using the Upload scores feature, which hasn't made a difference for JtRH. I've downloaded a nice easy hold and tried that, and it has appeared in the conquered hold list.

Maybe it's a forum bug? I'll re-visit the ending screen in JtRH again, and see if it makes a difference.

03-08-2006 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tonyk
Well, whadya know - restored on the last room of Level 25, went through the credits and now it's there. I'll try that technique on some of the other finished holds I have.

03-08-2006 at 08:17 AM
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 844
Oneiromancer wrote:
in fact, you have to go down the final stairs before the master walls will let you pass.

That's not true, you just have to conquer all secret rooms and all master-walls drop.you can check it with this hold
(4th post)

03-08-2006 at 12:01 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
I tried the hold and as expected, the master walls didn't drop after clearing the secret room. You have to walk down the ending stairs as well.

You probably had conquered the hold already before clearing the secret room.
03-08-2006 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
tonyk wrote:
I have, in theory then, conquered (but not quite mastered ;) ) JtRH, since I've almost finished the Dreamplane.
Well, in that case, you have technically mastered the hold, since in order to get to the Dreamplane, the master walls have to drop. Mastering a hold is going down the end stairs and beating each secret room.

++Adam H. Peterson
03-08-2006 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 844
Doom wrote:
I tried the hold and as expected, the master walls didn't drop after clearing the secret room. You have to walk down the ending stairs as well.

You probably had conquered the hold already before clearing the secret room.

Oops, my bad. I checked it and you're right

03-08-2006 at 10:04 PM
wombatiouspenguin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I'm having this same problem. I have conquered KDD 2.0 and the user made hold tunnel vision. I've walked down the ending stairs and gone behind the master walls of both. I just tried restoring and walking down the ending stairs of both of them. Tunnel vision is in the conquered holds, but KDD 2.0 is not. In fact it says that I've only conquered 69% of the rooms. What's going on?

Hold Completion:
Click here to view the secret text

09-02-2009 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
wombatiouspenguin wrote:
I'm having this same problem. I have conquered KDD 2.0 and the user made hold tunnel vision. I've walked down the ending stairs and gone behind the master walls of both. I just tried restoring and walking down the ending stairs of both of them. Tunnel vision is in the conquered holds, but KDD 2.0 is not. In fact it says that I've only conquered 69% of the rooms. What's going on?
I just happened to know that you have found and completed the secret rooms in Tunnel Vision. And according to my list of uploaded scores here I can see that you haven't done that for KDD 2.0. There are lots of secret rooms here, so that would explain the missing 31%.

As why it doesn't detect you completion status of the hold, I'd suggest you to try a couple more times (walking down the stairs with CaravelNet on). I understand that the Caravel server is quite finicky.

09-02-2009 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
I have. I got past the master door. It's just that for some reason Caravel net doesn't realize that.

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 10:49 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
What version of DROD 3 are you using?
09-02-2009 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
In that case I'd suggest that it's probably linked to that other problem of yours. If your DROD data somehow got corrupted, the scores will not likely be sent to the server.

And I'd suggest you to make a backup of both your data and the player file immediately, before doing anything drastic. (like a reinstall, which I would recommend)

Disclaimer: I'm not part of Caravel, and you might want to wait for someone with more "reputation" ;).

09-02-2009 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
I've got KDD 2.0.16 and it's working fine. It's JtRH 2.0.16 wont open... :(

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 11:01 PM
Tim
Looking at your posts, it's pretty obvious to me what your problem is. Your game has become corrupted.

In that case, there's nothing I can do.

You can wait for a Caravel official to help you, though.

09-02-2009 at 11:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Conquered Holds (This may be a bug, or I might be doing something totally wrong.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com