Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A concept hold (Master Eyes, Death-Trap Squares)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged

File: Jatopian.hold (984.2 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
License: Other
icon A concept hold (+1)  
Play this, if you would, and tell me what you think of my ideas. If they receive favorable reaction, I shall expand on them (including as specified in the intro). I believe this is somewhat original, and if I accidentally stole something or messed up canon or whatever, just tell me and I shall cease and desist.

This is also my first attempt at architecture, so let me know if I have made a newbie mistake (besides letting players just run up the stairs; I know about that). I think the checkpoint placement might be a bit awkward. :unsure

Note: This thread was deleted then reposted due to delay in hold upload.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-31-2006 07:26 PM : fixed size tag]
01-31-2006 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: A concept hold (0)  
Hmmmm.

The Master Eye certainly works, though it's a little unnerving to have a bunch of eyes suddenly coming after you without hearing the "hmmm!" noise.

I'm not sure how to "sisarm" the traps--the bombs at the bottom I can set off, but how does one disarm the booby-trapped squares?

(And I'm not sure what's up with the rock golems--are they part of a trap?)
01-31-2006 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: A concept hold (+1)  
Lots of bugs in this room... You have to be extra careful when scripting something like a master eye.

- The eyes in the room don't count as monsters.
- If you kill the eye in the top by stepping NE or NW, it shouldn't technically wake up. And after you step off, the eye will reappear in the top.
- If you block the tile where the top eye should move with your or the decoy's sword, the eye will appear in the same tile with it.
- If you kill the eye in the top with a decoy or after opening the green door, the eye in the bottom will wake up when you walk over the line of sight of the dead eye.
- If you kill the eye in the bottom and wake up the first eye, a new eye will appear in the bottom.
- You can't wake the master eye by placing a decoy in front of it.

It will be very tricky to make a fully functional master eye, if even possible at the moment. You've got the general idea, but it needs a lot more. And you can't do much about the green door thing...

By the way, I stepped on all of the ground tiles and lived to tell about it ;) The bottom one was the most interesting to do.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-31-2006 07:43 PM]
01-31-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Note: My Internet access may be sporadic soon for various reasons.
Tahnan wrote:
Hmmmm.

The Master Eye certainly works, though it's a little unnerving to have a bunch of eyes suddenly coming after you without hearing the "hmmm!" noise.

I'm not sure how to "disarm" the traps--the bombs at the bottom I can set off, but how does one disarm the booby-trapped squares?

(And I'm not sure what's up with the rock golems--are they part of a trap?)
You have a good point about the Eye. I might try a wordless speech command with that sound effect attached.
The traps are meant to be disarmed by
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-31-2006 08:16 PM : secret text]
01-31-2006 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SFE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Interesting hold. The death-trap squares are interesting. One tip:
Place a green door against the stairs. The one thing I did not like was that one could easily accidentally beat the hold. Other than that, an interesting concept. I can't wait for more.

J'nis Tomb 2.9.7
01-31-2006 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
I actually made a hold with a room with both normal eyes and master eyes, where master eyes are marked by a different floor. I could pull it up soon, but I need my upstairs computer to be fixed first. Anyway, the eyes in Jatopian's hold seem to be fully functional.

If you're worried about green doors and scripting, simply have another eye in the path of a master eye, facing the opposite direction, so that you can't stab the master eye without awakening it. So if you awaken the master eye, then the non-scripted eye with also awaken. The other eyes in the room will also awaken and turn into monsters, so that's taken care of. You just need to place the master eye in a place where you can't just stab it. Stabbing a master eye is also tricky, because you don't want monsters to awaken when the NPC is not at its spot. Coding diagonal eyes are particularly tricky.

Quiz on this tommorow.

01-31-2006 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jatopian wrote:
The traps are meant to be disarmed by...

Yeah, just got that. That certainly explains why you bothered to put in a "turn into monsters" command. Fascinating idea.
02-01-2006 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Doom wrote:
- If you kill the eye in the top by stepping NE or NW, it shouldn't technically wake up. And after you step off, the eye will reappear in the top.
- If you block the tile where the top eye should move with your or the decoy's sword, the eye will appear in the same tile with it.
- If you kill the eye in the top with a decoy or after opening the green door, the eye in the bottom will wake up when you walk over the line of sight of the dead eye.
- If you kill the eye in the bottom and wake up the first eye, a new eye will appear in the bottom.
- You can't wake the master eye by placing a decoy in front of it.
Er... yeah. I shall add some 'if monster present' and 'when monster stabbed' (does that work for NPCs? 'player location and direction' might substitute some) conditionals when I get back to DROD.
I did not know decoys would wake eyes...

Hopefully TCB will let NPCs count as monsters while still scripted... until then, some complex scripting with conditional orb striking might substitute.

02-01-2006 at 04:29 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
The only problem I see is the blatant spoiler in the note. I mean I suspected from other threads, but that was mean. :(
02-05-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Interesting hold. The eyes must have taken for ever to script. Could be broken, but *gets an idea* Inter-character scripting! Characters send messages! Brilliant!

Also, Ezlo, you are known as Squee? Anyone known as Squee is a good goblin! Let's do that again!

EDIT: Apparently you aren't a goblin anymore. Anyway, it still applies.

[Last edited by coppro at 02-06-2006 03:34 AM]
02-06-2006 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
coppro wrote:
Interesting hold. The eyes must have taken for ever to script. Could be broken, but *gets an idea* Inter-character scripting! Characters send messages! Brilliant!
:blink Is that something we could implement with present scripting, or a feature request?
And yeah, and the eyes still don't quite work properly... :?

02-06-2006 at 06:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A concept hold (Master Eyes, Death-Trap Squares)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com