Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Page 1 of 9
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon DROD Source Released (+5)  
Okay, all of the source code is up for grabs:

https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod

Previous snapshot maintained for now at:

http://www.caravelgames.com/sourcecode.html

For private development purposes, it should be possible to copy the "Data" directory from either the demo or full version of JtRH/TCB/GatEB/TSS and have a working copy with your own build. But remember, you cannot distribute the media. It is also wrong to reconstruct it using screenshots or other techniques, and that includes the media included in the free demo version. We didn't put any of it into the source code archive to prevent people from assuming it was distributable.

That doesn't mean making your own distributable version of DROD is impossible or even discouraged. One of our team members, Adam Peterson, made reference artwork and put it in the public domain. You can use this artwork to make a distributable game if you like.

Myself and others are here to help with any spinoff projects. I've already given lots of advice to lone wolves working with DROD source code, and I'll probably give a lot more before it's over. So please don't get too irritated about the difficulties created by the media-less distribution. There is lots of help here to get you past it.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 03:39 PM]
04-18-2005 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+1)  
When I open the solution file it complains about the missing folders vbprojects Compat, Compat1_5, DRODLib1_5, and Help. Where can I get these?
What did you use for your png and jpeg library?
Does DRODUtil require FrontEndLib?

Sorry to bother you.
04-18-2005 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
patmo98 wrote:
When I open the solution file it complains about the missing folders vbprojects Compat, Compat1_5, DRODLib1_5, and Help. Where can I get these?
You don't need them. We don't use any of those anymore except for "Help". We aren't distributing the "Help" files because that is copyrighted media. There was a DSP file used for managing the HTML files in the help directory. So you can just delete those projects from the workspace and it should be fine.
What did you use for your png and jpeg library?
Component Name: zlib 1.2.2
Licensed from: Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
License: zlib license
Info: http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib.html
Mark Adler <madler@alumni.caltech.edu>

Component Name: libpng
Licensed from: Glenn Randers-Pehrson
License: libpng license
Info: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html

A good way to see all the version numbers and dependencies is to look at the legal.txt file that is installed in the "licenses" directory with either the demo or full version of JtRH. Also there are directories that show the licensing terms for redistribution there if you are interested in making your extra-funky build public.
Does DRODUtil require FrontEndLib?
Yeah, it does.
Sorry to bother you.
I'm not bothered. I like to see people interested in the source. Have a good time! Make something cool!

-Erik

04-18-2005 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oh, sorry, I meant to post this instead of the info for zlib:

Component Name: jpeglib
Licensed from: Independent JPEG Group
License: jpeglib license
Info: http://www.ijg.org

And sorry that I'm missing the version#s on these two. Just use the latest released version unless it gives you problems. We upgrade to latest versions always during development except for the last month or two before a release.

-Erik

04-18-2005 at 09:05 PM
patmo98
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (0)  
Thanks for the information. Would you ever concider posting a copy of CaravelNetInterface.* that pretends it isn't connected to the internet for every call. That way DROD would compile cleanly, but you won't be giving out your caravel.net code.
04-19-2005 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Argh... the VS.NET solution must have been released with the CARAVELBUILD flag enabled. Just delete that (Project/Properties/C C++/Preprocessor/Preprocessor Definitions) and it should compile cleanly.

04-19-2005 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
patmo98
I had to remove browser.* and Caravelinterface.* from the solution. Now everything but DRODUtil COMPILES fine, but project "drod" is giving me this error. Is this my fault?

Compiling resources...
fatal error RC1110: could not open .\\DROD.rc
drod : error PRJ0002 : error result returned from 'rc.exe'.

I am using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

I am also having trouble during the linking of DRODUtil.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 05:54 AM]
04-21-2005 at 05:53 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I don't know the answer to that question, but somebody else are bound to.

Anyway, make sure you're not using SDL version 1.2.8 with JtRH. Doing that will probably make JtRH crash. Any earlier or later* SDL version should be fine, though. The reason 1.2.8 won't work is because it has too strict limitations on surface sizes, and JtRH uses some surfaces that exceed those limitations (but are within the real limits).

- Gerry

* As of right now, that means CVS, but 1.2.9 should be fine when that's out. The easiest way is probably to just stick with 1.2.7 for now.

04-21-2005 at 03:12 PM
patmo98
trick wrote:

* As of right now, that means CVS, but 1.2.9 should be fine when that's out. The easiest way is probably to just stick with 1.2.7 for now.

OK thanks for the advice, I am now using the CVS version, but it didn't fix the error.

Will SDL_ttf-2.0.6 cause any problems?
04-21-2005 at 03:48 PM
trick
patmo98 wrote:
OK thanks for the advice, I am now using the CVS version, but it didn't fix the error.
I didn't expect it to :). As I said, I don't know the answer to that question, but someone else will probably reply with some amazing insights.
Will SDL_ttf-2.0.6 cause any problems?
No, not unless you use it with freetype 2.1.3 (but you knew that already, right ?).

- Gerry
04-21-2005 at 04:10 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
patmo98 wrote:
I had to remove browser.* and Caravelinterface.* from the solution. Now everything but DRODUtil COMPILES fine, but project "drod" is giving me this error. Is this my fault?
Mike and Erik use VC6, and I'm the only one who uses VS.NET. Thus whenever Mike changes any of the projects, I change the .NET version to match, but I've been lazy about checking them in since nobody else needed them. I've checked them in now, so hopefully when the next version of the source is released, it will compile without making any changes.
I am using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
I think the quickest way for you to get it compiling right now would be to delete the .sln and all the .vcproj files and try to open the .dsw instead - since it is up to date, the auto-conversion to .NET projects should work just fine.

04-21-2005 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Currently I am attempting to build under Linux. Depite removing instances of -DCARAVELBUILD from the Config file, I still get a dependency problem. (Even find-grep has failed me when it comes to figuring out where this dependency is coming from!)

make clean all
rm -rf custom release debug profile beta  
    Preparing to build BackEndLib.a, custom build
    CXXFLAGS=-W -Wall -Wno-unused -pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Assert.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/AttachableObject.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Base64.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Browser.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Clipboard.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Date.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Dyn.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Files.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/GameStream.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Heap.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/IniFile.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Internet.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/MessageIDs.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Ports.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/StretchyBuffer.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/SysTimer.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Wchar.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/CoordIndex.cpp
    DepComp ../../BackEndLib/IDList.cpp
    Archive custom/lib/BackEndLib.a ()

Preparing to build DRODLib.a, custom build
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `custom/obj/DRODLib/CaravelNetInterface.o', needed by `custom/lib/DRODLib.a'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [DRODLib-custom] Error 2
make: *** [drod-custom] Error 2

04-21-2005 at 06:03 PM
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
I'm having exactly the same problem as md5i. Can't get DRODLib to compile.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 06:48 PM: order changed word]

04-21-2005 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Schik wrote:
I think the quickest way for you to get it compiling right now would be to delete the .sln and all the .vcproj files and try to open the .dsw instead - since it is up to date, the auto-conversion to .NET projects should work just fine.

In that version I had to remove the help project, remove "CARAVELBUILD" from DRODUtil and DRODLib, and "CaravelNetInterface.*" manualy.

BackEndLib, FrontEndLib, and DRODLib compiled cleanly, but I still am getting the same error. Thanks for the help.
04-21-2005 at 07:54 PM
trick
Currently I am attempting to build under Linux. Depite removing instances of -DCARAVELBUILD from the Config file, I still get a dependency problem.
The Linux Makefile figures out which files to compile from the Windows project files, so that's where this dependency comes from. If you edit DRODLib/DRODLib.dsp, find a line with the text
SOURCE=.\\CaravelNetInterface.cpp
and delete that line, things should work. Sorry for the inconvenience :)

- Gerry
04-21-2005 at 07:57 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I can now get DROD to compile, but it fails during linking with the error(s):
g++ custom/lib/DROD.a custom/lib/FrontEndLib.a custom/lib/DRODLib.a custom/lib/BackEndLib.a -lmk4 -lz -lexpat -lfmod-3.74
-lSDL_ttf -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread -lpng -ljpeg -lcurl -o custom/bin/drod
custom/lib/DROD.a(DemosScreen.o)(.text+0x2ca1): In function `CDemosScreen::SetForActivate()':
: undefined reference to `useInternetStr'
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x5beb): In function `CSettingsScreen::SetUnspecifiedPlayerSettings(CDbPackedVars&)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x5c04): In function `CSettingsScreen::SetUnspecifiedPlayerSettings(CDbPackedVars&)':
: undefined reference to `submitScoresStr'
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x615b): In function `CSettingsScreen::SetUnspecifiedPlayerSettings(CDbPackedVars&)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x618c): In function `CSettingsScreen::SetUnspecifiedPlayerSettings(CDbPackedVars&)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x6f51): In function `CSettingsScreen::UpdateWidgetsFromPlayerData(CDbPlayer*)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x6fbd): In function `CSettingsScreen::UpdateWidgetsFromPlayerData(CDbPlayer*)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x7bd0): In function `CSettingsScreen::UpdatePlayerDataFromWidgets(CDbPlayer*)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(SettingsScreen.o)(.text+0x7c4a): In function `CSettingsScreen::UpdatePlayerDataFromWidgets(CDbPlayer*)':
custom/lib/DROD.a(TitleScreen.o)(.text+0x1866): In function `CTitleScreen::SetForActivate()':
custom/lib/DRODLib.a(CurrentGame.o)(.text+0xa0e6): In function `CCurrentGame::WriteCurrentRoomConquerDemo()':
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [custom/bin/drod] Error 1

make[1]: *** [link] Error 2
make: *** [drod-custom] Error 2

Also, when I try to compile DRODUtil, I get the error:
    Preparing to build DRODUtil.a, custom build
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `SOURCE=..\\DROD\\DrodBitmapManager.cpp', needed by `custom/lib/DRODUtil.a'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [DRODUtil-custom] Error 2
make: *** [drodutil-custom] Error 2

Deleting the corresponding line from DRODUtil.dsp gives a similar error, but with an another filename. Deleting them all gives the same error during linking as shown above.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:04-22-2005 at 12:40 PM]

04-22-2005 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
The link error is caused by some variables that are defined in one of the files that are not included in the source distribution. Adding these lines somewhere at the top of DRODLib/NetInterface.cpp should fix it for now:
const char useInternetStr[] = "";
const char submitScoresStr[] = "";
As for the DRODUtil error, it seems the dsp file includes a bunch of files that's part of the DROD module. Just delete all the lines starting with SOURCE=..\\DROD\\ from the dsp, and it should work (after the NetInterface fix above).

By the way, you might want to use SDL_mixer in stead of FMOD, since there's some mystery bug in the FMOD code that causes DROD to randomly crash in Linux. To use SDL_mixer in stead of FMOD, either add -DUSE_SDL_MIXER flag to the C++ flags (CXXFLAGS_* in Config) (this will require a clean recompile, since the dependency system doesn't detect command-line changes yet), or add #define USE_SDL_MIXER to the top of FrontEndLib/Sound.h (this will make the dependency system pick up the change, so a normal recompile is sufficient), and add -lSDL_mixer to the link flags (LDFLAGS_* in Config).

- Gerry
04-22-2005 at 02:41 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
FYI, I'm preparing a new source bundle that should have all of these issues resolved. It will also contain the latest bug fixes and enhancements included in the 2.0.6 patch. It should be ready in the next day or two.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-22-2005 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
The 2.0.6 source is grabbable at:

-Erik

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:04-25-2005 at 04:29 PM]

04-25-2005 at 02:55 AM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
ErikH2000 wrote:
The 2.0.6 source is grabbable at:

-Erik

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:04-25-2005 at 04:29 PM]
Um, the HTML page says "DROD 2.0.5 Engine Source Code". It has a different size than the 2.0.5 code I downloaded before, though. It might be nice to name the .zip file with the full version number as well.
04-25-2005 at 06:34 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
What program you used to make DROD and where can i get it?

I know, it's C++ heh?

Jeff_ray===

[Edited by Jeff_Ray... at Local Time:05-20-2005 at 10:46 PM]

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-20-2005 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
What program you used to make DROD and where can i get it?

I know, it's C++ heh?
Yeah, it's C++. If you're a beginning programmer this isn't the best place to start. In fact, it's a terrible place to start! :) Oh, and I'm guessing you are just starting out--sorry if that is incorrect. But if you are new, I'd recommend something like Game Maker which lets you do a lot of stuff without learning formal programming.

-Erik

05-20-2005 at 10:55 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: DROD 2.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Yeah, i'm using it for an DROD Project.

Check Development Forum. Find Making Drod: GM Edition.

Using custom graphic, musics, etc, i will have a great great game (maybe)

Jeff_ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-22-2005 at 01:21 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I remembered that I own MS VC++ 6.0 and decided to dust off the cd (literally) and install it. I'm now working on compiling DROD so I can hack it.

I had a distribution question, though. What if instead of distributing a stand-alone game, I said "here's how the install works: it's a patch for DROD, so install DROD in a different directory than your main installation, and then apply this patch" (patch would include just a .exe and additional graphics/text needed)... would that be a distribution no-no?

---

I'm farrrr from a beginning programmer ( http://www.silverchat.com/~silver/silverHarloeOnlineResume.txt )

---

is the 2.0.7 source grabbable yet?

---

looks like my MS VC++ 6.0 is too old? I don't seem to have mk4.h anywhere.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-26-2005 at 06:35 AM]

05-26-2005 at 06:10 AM
trick
silver wrote:
I had a distribution question, though. What if instead of distributing a stand-alone game, I said "here's how the install works: it's a patch for DROD, so install DROD in a different directory than your main installation, and then apply this patch" (patch would include just a .exe and additional graphics/text needed)... would that be a distribution no-no?
I'll leave the actual answer to Erik or Mike, but you should be aware that doing multiple installations of DROD as the same user might not work as intended. Install path overwrite comes to mind... I'm not 100% sure how things work in Windows, but the official patcher might only patch one of the installations (the last one to be installed), or at least might use the wrong install path by default. In Linux, the installer will actually prevent multiple installations to paths other than the path containing the already installed game unless you uninstall it first -- which is nice, since multiple installations to different paths by the same user would actually only use one of the paths anyway.
looks like my MS VC++ 6.0 is too old? I don't seem to have mk4.h anywhere.
Don't worry :). You'll get mk4.h as part of Metakit (which is one of the dependencies of DROD).

- Gerry

[Edited by trick at Local Time:05-26-2005 at 08:01 AM: clarification]
05-26-2005 at 07:56 AM
silver
what are the other dependencies? I got the 3 Erik listed above and the one you just mentioned. Need more links :)

the windows patcher, incidentally, prompts you for a path.

and windows DROD seems to run multiple instances just fine.

---

bugger. It appears I don't know how to work dependencies in this system. Oh, I should be doing this in Linux. I know make backwards and forwards and can make g++ dance and sing.

So I made a directory called "ThirdParty" under my source tree (i.e. parallel with BackEndLib) and in ThirdParty I have "ThirdParty/Include" (wherein lies mk4.h) and "ThirdParty/Lib" (wherein lies mk4vc60.dll - I downloaded the prebuilt. I might need to rename this to mk4.dll?) and then I hit Project/Settings. The "Resource" tab has a spot to enter "additional resource include directories" so I tried "..\\ThirdParty" and "..\\ThirdParty\\Include" and "C:\\Documents and Settings\\silver\\Desktop\\DROD20Source\\ThirdParty\\Include"... in all three cases it seemed to add a nice "/i" entry to the command line shown, but in all three cases, building still says "no mk4.h, die scum bag!"
argh?

What was the "correct" way to add these dependent libraries?

(incidentally, if it were me, and I had a third party dependency I couldn't/wouldn't distribute with my source, I'd include shell directories where I put them as part of the project with a README.txt saying "this is where you put the files you can get from XYZ url, unzip them here" and then my build would already be configured to look in that place (only) for the third party stuff. And, yes, I do have a cvs tree littered with of ".keepdir" 0-length files (I think subversion is better about allowing you to check in empty directories, though)).

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 03:48 AM]

05-26-2005 at 08:22 AM
silver
Hrm. I didn't mean my "if I were doing it..." parenthetical to be off-putting and cause people to withhold answers from me.
I just want to get the bleedin' thing to compile. argh.

05-27-2005 at 05:36 AM
trick
silver wrote:
Hrm. I didn't mean my "if I were doing it..." parenthetical to be off-putting and cause people to withhold answers from me.
I just want to get the bleedin' thing to compile. argh.
Patience, young grasshopper*. :)

silver wrote:
what are the other dependencies? I got the 3 Erik listed above and the one you just mentioned. Need more links :)

Metakit
Expat
Zlib
libcurl
SDL (NOT version 1.2.8)
SDL ttf
(SDL ttf requires Freetype 2 (NOT version 2.1.3))
libpng
libjpeg
FMOD (Windows/Linux), or SDL_mixer, libogg, libvorbis (any, doesn't crash in Linux).

In general, you can just use the latest of everything except SDL, which has a bug in 1.2.8 that prevents JtRH from working.

What was the "correct" way to add these dependent libraries?
You know, I'm glad you asked, because this means I finally get a use for that Visual C++ 6 book I've got lying around here! I have no idea why I've got that thing. Anyway, go to Tools->Options->Directories, and add paths to Include files and Library files.

- Gerry

* Something tells me you're older than me, but hey.
05-27-2005 at 06:18 AM
silver
So the precompiled stuff works fine (where I have it? libjpeg, for example, seemed to only have C sources. ick. does anyone have a dll of that they can send?) I don't have to add third party source directories and add the builds for those?

I guess, more to the point, is there a problem with just having 'one' ThirdParty/Include and ThirdParty/Lib where I just drop ".h"s and ".dll"s? How does it look on YOUR system? or Mike's, for that matter? :)

--

age I can answer immediately, because I have no secrets. I was born September 27th, 1970. So I'm currently 34.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 06:32 AM]

05-27-2005 at 06:30 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
silver wrote:
So the precompiled stuff works fine (where I have it? libjpeg, for example, seemed to only have C sources. ick. does anyone have a dll of that they can send?) I don't have to add third party source directories and add the builds for those?
Iirc, some of these TPLs need to be compiled. Almost always, their dev download bundles come with a Visual Studio workspace file that you can simply open to compile the project, either in Debug or Release mode. (I'd probably compile both versions, so you have them around for both DROD build configurations.)
I guess, more to the point, is there a problem with just having 'one' ThirdParty/Include and ThirdParty/Lib where I just drop ".h"s and ".dll"s? How does it look on YOUR system? or Mike's, for that matter? :)
As you know, the .h's in <>s require an explicit path given through the IDE, in the way Gerry/trick described. If you like, you could throw these all these .h's from all the TPLs into a single Include directory. But I've never tried that, and I'm guessing it's simpler and cleaner to just add the list of Include dirs to the IDE instead. The .dlls aren't required for compiling. You need those in the directory where the drod.exe is built and run from (in DROD/Release, for example) for run-time use. However, to compile, you will need various .lib files because not all the TPLs compile to produce DLLs. Several provide static libs. And some of the ones that have DLLs also use static libs. The way to include these into the compilation is to, in addition to specifying where the .h's are in the Include list, specify where each TPL's .lib file is in the Library list. If you don't do this, you'll get a bunch of linker errors (i.e. undefined/missing ...) once everything is compiled and it's trying to link everything into the one .exe.

Getting this all together can take some getting used to...and then it's like riding a bicycle, or something. Ask more questions if you're having trouble.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-27-2005 at 05:43 PM
Page 1 of 9
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com