Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Challenge Crafting Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged

File: Challenge Crafting Compilation.hold (25 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Challenge Crafting Compilation (+4)  
Differences from the contest version:
-Placements in the contest have been added.
-All passageway rooms have some degree of decoration.
-Clock's entries all have names rather than all being called Subterranean Shallows.
-All challenges have been scripted. Specifically, I've added scripts for Three-in-one, Tar Overflow, and Clock's entries.
-I didn't accidentally leave Clock's entire submission in there after putting it in to simplify copying the rooms, whoops

Note that for Three-in-one, Red XIII said I could name the challenge for killing the skipper nest first if he hasn't come up with something by Monday. For the moment I've put in a filler name and that will stand if I don't get something else.

The main thing to check here is that the challenge scripts work. Otherwise, if any entrants want to make adjustments to their rooms, let me know. For my own rooms, I'm only concerned if there are major unintended solutions that allow getting the challenge.

Edit: Forgot to add ending text initially. Now that's in there!
Edit 2: Accidentally wrote "gentrii" instead of "gentryii" on the scroll for Difficulty Selection trapdoors. Fixed this.

Update: Hydro Plant has two waterskippers removed at architect's request, making it very hard to get the challenge now. Challenge script is fixed in Tar Overflow.

Update: Drop All The Trapdoors In The Same Turn now has force arrows on the water platforms, at the architect's request.

Update: Detonation Derby updated to a new version provided by the architect.

Update: Checkpoint added in Kill All the Stalwarts, Viscous Stepmother updated to a new version provided by the architect.

Update: Checkpoints added in 1N1W and 1S1E. Minor scripting fix in 1S1E to remove redundancy.

Update: Reworded scrolls in 1N1W and 1S4E. Unintended solution fixed in 1N1W.

Update: Tweaked script in Diagonal Domain to reset the challenge variable on re-entering. Added the title character back into Viscous Stepmother - it wasn't there because I copied a new version of the room. Added names of people who suggested challenges to scrolls. Changed scroll outside Diagonal Domain to use the exact wording of the suggested challenge.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 11-29-2022 06:48 PM]
11-20-2022 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Challenge Crafting Compilation (+1)  
My challenge (1S1W) was actually intended to be harder than it ended up being. I wonder if this oversight made the entry received better or worse.

Suggested fix is simple. Remove two waterskippers from the bottom row (e.g. the ones at [11,18] and [13,18]).

[Last edited by Doom at 11-20-2022 05:30 PM]
11-20-2022 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

File: CCC Rise To The Challenge 1N Victory.demo (27.4 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
icon Re: Challenge Crafting Compilation (+2)  
My solution to Tar Overflow (1N) is not satisfying the challenge, though I have yet to see what I might be doing wrong.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-20-2022 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
There was a script error in Tar Overflow. Fixed now.

Also changed Hydro Plant according to Doom's wishes and now I have no idea how to get the challenge.
11-20-2022 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
At disoriented's request, Drop All The Trapdoors In The Same Turn now has force arrows on the water platforms.
11-21-2022 at 05:26 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: SEs Challenge Crafting.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
After watching Chaco's excellent video, I have a few changes I'd like to make to my submission, Detonation Derby. While I think there are probably changes that would make it a great room rather than just an okay room, due to it being a contest room I'll just make the small ones.

Those are: adding a few checkpoints in key locations and a counter of how many separate bomb explosions have been set off.
11-21-2022 at 06:25 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
Dragon Fogel wrote:
There was a script error in Tar Overflow. Fixed now.

Also changed Hydro Plant according to Doom's wishes and now I have no idea how to get the challenge.
Script in Tar Overflow works now.

Hard version of Hydro Plant challenge is possible. One of Chaco's comments when doing the easy version was on track.
11-21-2022 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Added the new version of Detonation Derby.
11-21-2022 at 04:29 PM
Dragon Fogel

File: CCC Rise To The Challenge 1S1W Challenge completed.demo (30.2 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Solved the challenge in the new version of Hydro Plant.

In general, I'd like thoughts on checkpoint placement and I'd appreciate it if someone could go over the challenge scripts and note any issues they catch.
11-22-2022 at 02:19 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Challenge Crafting Compilation (0)  
For the record, I don't know of anything I need/want to fix/change in my entries, including them hopefully having good enough checkpointing.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-22-2022 04:30 AM]
11-22-2022 at 04:30 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185

File: Viscous Stepmother.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
For my entry I'll add a couple checkpoints and try to make the bit with the scroll a little less ugly.

Does anyone think I need to explain the challenge better? For the contest I wanted to give people exactly what I was given. And it seems everyone (Dragon and Chaco) tried the challenge solution first then struggled to figure out what the non-challenge solution was supposed to be.

EDIT: New version with a couple checkpoints, tweaked scroll placement, and changed challenge name to provide a slight hint about the interaction I wanted. Shouldn't break any demos.

[Last edited by Kalin at 11-23-2022 08:36 PM]
11-22-2022 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Whether the relevant interaction is arcane is inherently going to be a matter of opinion; the thing that confused me was that I couldn't tell what the "arcane interaction" was supposed to be after actually doing it.

I don't mind the scroll being vague before you do the challenge, but I think it would be best if there were an explanation afterwards.

Anyways, I've added a checkpoint to Kill All The Stalwarts at (6,4); not going to upload a new version just for that, though. Not unless there are no other pending changes.
11-22-2022 at 07:05 PM
Dragon Fogel
I didn't notice the edit to Kalin's post until just now. Viscous Stepmother has been updated, and a checkpoint has been added to Kill All the Stalwarts.

Nobody's gone through the scripting yet. I can do that, but I'd particularly like a second set of eyes on my own scripts. Those would be the ones in my three entries (Diagonal Domain, Briar Cultivation, and Runaways) and the ones where no script was provided (Three in One, Tar Overflow, Clock's entries).
11-27-2022 at 05:26 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
1N1W has no checkpoints. Obvious placement is one next to each pressure plate.

1N1W scripting:

1S4E: Scroll should maybe include "and exit the room".

1S1E doesn't need both characters to set HerdingFailure to 0 on turn 0, but of course this isn't an actual problem other than being redundant.

I don't see any problems with the rest of the rooms you listed.

11-28-2022 at 11:28 AM
Dragon Fogel
Checkpoints added to 1N1W. I added some to 1S1E while I was at it; I have no idea where the optimal placements on the trapdoors would be, but it's better to have something than nothing. Also removed one of the redundant variable resets.

I'll contact Clock before changing scrolls in their rooms. 1N1W also has a probably-unintended solution of using the clone to activate the plate at (30,19), I'll ask if they want anything done about that.
11-28-2022 at 05:20 PM
Dragon Fogel
Heard back from Clock, so the unintended solution has been fixed and the scrolls have been changed.

I'm going to check the challenge scripting and get a demo pack together, and then I'll send this off to HA.
11-28-2022 at 09:46 PM
Dragon Fogel
Went over the scripting myself. Only issue I saw was that I didn't reset the challenge variable in Diagonal Domain - it would be hard to fail the challenge and leave, but now if that happens it won't cut you off from ever getting it.

Also, in copying Kalin's changes to Viscous Stepmother, the character that renames the room was removed. I've added that back in now, and checked that all rooms are using their titles.

Finally, the scrolls outside the entries now list the person who suggested each challenge. While doing this, I noticed that I had reworded the challenge on the scroll outside Diagonal Domain, so that now uses the original wording.

Unless someone raises an issue in the next few days, I will probably submit this version of the hold.
11-29-2022 at 06:52 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: CCC Rise To The Challenge 2S3E Victory.demo (17.8 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
demo for 2s3e, recorded on contest version
12-02-2022 at 11:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
This has now been submitted to HA. Hopefully we'll see it published soon!
12-03-2022 at 12:11 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Challenge Crafting Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com