Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Character move to single step without implicit wait turn (Allow for scripting of complex characters, such as two moves per turn, post-move checking)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
melvin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged
icon Character move to single step without implicit wait turn (+2)  
Hi,

Today while working on a hold with custom character scripts I wanted to add some post-move checks. For example: if moving on top of water, build ice and die. Or a speedy roach that moves twice per turn ("slow potion" from player pov).

However there seems to be an unavoidable implicit wait turn when calling a move command. You could manually set X/Y variables, but that means you aren't able to use any of the usual pathfinders.

It would be very useful for more complex characters to be able to move without the implicit wait, probably through a GUI option or setting some MyScript variable. This likely only applies to move single step commands.

Current workaround seems to be having another NPC checking every tile every turn for your custom NPC and handling the post-move checks from there, with no real workaround for multiple-move NPCs.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Edit: Potential other workaround via "Natural target", not sure. https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=40631&page=0#402481

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by melvin at 11-28-2021 01:48 AM]
11-27-2021 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon Re: Character move to single step without implicit wait turn (+2)  
One way I've seen someone get around this was to have a slowing effect where the player is forced to wait one turn after each move, allowing monsters to move twice for each player move. Obviously this isn't ideal since it messes with anything tied to the threat clock.

Hold was Chance for Paradise by Crimson Moon and the script forced a one-turn cutscene to make the player wait.

With this method, as long as you're only using custom monsters, you could have some normal-speed monsters scripted to wait with the player while giving the faster monsters their extra moves.

It'd definitely be nicer to just be able to do multiple moves in one turn though.

11-28-2021 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Character move to single step without implicit wait turn (Allow for scripting of complex characters, such as two moves per turn, post-move checking)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com