Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on Spotify
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TideGear
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
IP: Logged
icon DROD on Spotify (0)  
Can we please get all the DROD music possible on Spotify and such streaming platforms? It'd be great work music!
03-12-2021 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (0)  
TideGear wrote:
Can we please get all the DROD music possible on Spotify and such streaming platforms? It'd be great work music!
How do you do that, though?

I went to Spotify and there was no "upload" buttons.

-Erik

03-12-2021 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TideGear
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+1)  
It's a paid subscription service like Netflix, so I assume you have to go through a submission process. They'd pay you based on listens.
03-12-2021 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+3)  
TideGear wrote:
It's a paid subscription service like Netflix, so I assume you have to go through a submission process. They'd pay you based on listens.
Makes sense. I was half-joking.

It's just that these things take time to do. And is it worth it for the person doing that work? You could say it would be a good thing for the music to be on bandcamp, youtube, soundcloud, spotify, napster, pandora, iheartradio... I agree, certainly. But all these things take work to set up.

Thank you for your appreciation of the music. I sincerely thank you.

-Erik

03-12-2021 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+4)  
This is why I maintain the music I want to keep forever on my own computer as files. All the work of getting the music into the same place where I can listen to it for whatever purpose is work that I alone do; I don't have to worry about anything disappearing if some company goes bankrupt or crazy; and hey, no ads!

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-12-2021 05:19 PM]
03-12-2021 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TideGear
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
TideGear wrote:
Makes sense. I was half-joking.

It's just that these things take time to do. And is it worth it for the person doing that work? You could say it would be a good thing for the music to be on bandcamp, youtube, soundcloud, spotify, napster, pandora, iheartradio... I agree, certainly. But all these things take work to set up.

Thank you for your appreciation of the music. I sincerely thank you.

-Erik

Fair enough! Thank you for all the work you do.
03-12-2021 at 06:49 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+1)  
This is actually a very good idea. Considering that a-list artists have their music uploaded on spotify it's a good idea to promote DROD that way. It's like myspace, only spotify works since like 2008 and became more popular instead of irrelevant and obsolete like myspace did. My girlfriend has a spotify account, so if you guys are ready, I will share the link with her.

It's 100% worth it, because spotify will also actively recommend the songs, and we can create playlists like "essential songs from classic games". So the omission of DROD is noticeable, considering the stuff that is available there.

I personally purchased the soundtrack myself, but also, be advised that a friend of mine to whom I introduced DROD, started playing the game only for the sake of listening to the music, because he wasn't aware of the fact that there is soundtrack available. And had DROD been on spotify, he most likely would support the songs.

Personally, I am old school, I buy tapes, CDs, and vinyls, rather than subscribe to internet options, but yeah, even I heard about spotify

[Last edited by Illusionist at 03-14-2021 01:31 PM]
03-14-2021 at 01:24 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD on Spotify (+7)  
Returning to this because my original take wasn't quite right. I've recently done some research on what would be needed to put The Godkiller soundtrack on Spotify, iHeartRadio, etc.

Here's a practical, but still time-consuming, plan for getting DMOD on Spotify and company:

1. Mike Rimer would have to register with a Performing Rights Organization (PRO) as a publisher, probably BMI or ASCAP.
2. Emmett Plant and I would have to do the same, but as a songwriters. Jon Sonnenberg is already registered.
3. Mike would register songs via the PRO with him as the publisher and whoever the appropriate songwriters are for each song.
4. Once everything is registered, use a distribution service such as Distrokid, TuneCore, or CDBaby to automatically put the song out to all the services. CDBaby has the added benefit of creating a storefront for physical CDs.
5. Royalties on "spins" are paid out through the PROs. I don't think anyone involved would care about the pennies coming in from this. But it's a side effect of jumping through the needed hoops to use a distribution service that gets music onto everything.

There would be complications with Jon's stuff, e.g. conflicts with his agreements with labels. I can't say how it would get worked out, if at all.

I think that's 90% right. I'm still learning.

I might do some version of the above for The Godkiller soundtrack, which is quite a bit easier to do with just one person (me) signing off on everything. Maybe I have good luck with this and can later try making a case to Mike for DMOD. But honestly, it's a lot of "ifs" and "maybes".

-Erik

06-12-2021 at 10:33 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on Spotify
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com