Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Final Reckoning (First and Second Chapters complete)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: The Final Reckoning.demo (140.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Final Reckoning (0)  
I played a bunch more this weekend. Demos are attached to go with my usual long-winded comments.

Void of Indeterminate Time
Now we're getting to some of my favorite elements. Time clone combat rooms run the risk of being tedious "blind fighting" rooms, but I was happy to see that most of these rooms avoided that tiresome format. Most of the rooms made it simple enough to just have the time clone(s) and Main Timeline guard captain deal with different parts of the room separately. 1S1W was the only room I remember having to be careful in to avoid distracting monsters with the main timeline guard captain while the time clone fought them. The challenge in 1N1W is really not much harder than doing the room while using the time clone. I would honestly say that the room could probably use more rock giants to be on par with the difficulty of some of the other horde rooms in this part of the hold. It's fine to have an easier room though if you want to keep it as it is. 1N2W is also possible without a time clone and is much more challenging to do this way. I had a lot of fun with it though, it was an enjoyable challenge.

Shrine of Temporal Transcendence
This was neat! I didn't really pay much attention to the temporal resonator puzzles in TSS, but this level really shows some how they can be interesting for setting up horde encounters. The Entrance and 1N do a good job of showing this off and I like how the goblins and trapdoors are set up in 1N to make it likely that you drop some of the goblins in the pit! 1W was also really fun, I enjoyed being able to carve out a configuration of trapdoors to make my stand in. 1E on the other hand felt a bit underdeveloped and repetitive. I only used the special command once at the very end of the room to get back across the closed red door. I felt like I was just cleaning out the same mini room 9 times. I would suggest maybe spicing this up a bit by somehow letting out some of the roaches early or making it impossible to reach all 9 squares without using special command (or perhaps both). Other players may have differing opinions though.

Cult of the Cosmopolitan
Oh nice! I love temporal Aumtlich and am glad to see them used here! They weren't used much in horde rooms in TSS so this was a lot of fun to play through. I particularly like how you set up a lot of 1x1 walls to ensure that they split frequently. I have no complaints about this level. Some of the rooms were a bit similar, but really it's so fun dispatching temporal aumtlich hordes that I wouldn't mind seeing more rooms like these!

Arena of Angst
This was an interesting way to introduce the dagger as a weapon into the plot. I like the variety of monsters in this level a lot. Difficulty is varied too, for instance I found 1N2W to be fairly straightforward just because goblins are fairly easy to trick while wielding a dagger. 2W was trickier for me, but quite enjoyable. But it's fine to have some harder rooms and some easier rooms on the same level.

Mountain Hideout
This level appears on my map twice for some reason. Both map icons lead to the same level though. Does this happen to anyone else? I liked how this level was laid out, with the east and west wings both taking on a different set of monsters to add in to the fluff vent horde, but having a similar progression. In 1W I did not use the speed potion, so that's a possible challenge. I did not even attempt to skip the speed potion in 1N1W though, that does not seem like it would be worth it. The final room, 1N is fairly simple since the slayers basically just stand there and let the puffs come to them, but it's fine since it is mostly a room to develop the story dialog. Lastly, it is possible to exit this level as either Bongthro or the Pirate Captain and thus to have either a sword or staff in any of the other levels accessible at the same time as this one. I'm not sure if access to the staff is really desirable in those other levels, but you may want to make it so that you can only exit the level as the Pirate Captain.

Temple of Pain
This was lots of fun. I liked the combination of aumtlich and temporal aumtlich. I've never seen that combination in a horde before, but they both have very different styles of attacking which makes things interesting. I also liked that there was a lot of variety in how the rooms were laid out. I'm not sure what is going on in 2N. The aumtlich there are trivial to kill and I did not use the special command until the very end of the room and then only to exit. 1N1E also felt a bit trivial. I just sat on the tile with the fuse and waited for the bombs to kill most of the monsters and cleanup was simple after that. I feel like there should be more to deal with while I wait for the fuse to burn down. The other rooms were all fun though.

Jaded Jail
Yikes. This level was a different experience for me. I typically don't care much for stalwarts/soldiers much in the first place. One of the biggest problems with them is that the path they will take is literally not predictable by human beings and relies on some some opaque code implementation. They will completely redirect their paths in unpredictable ways due to minor changes to room geography on the other side of a room. They also have a tendency to get themselves killed as they are incredibly bad at fighting monsters. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I find rooms like this to be an exercise in frustrating and tedious brute force experimentation. Blindly hitting keys until something magically works. Here are a couple of forum threads detailing the reasons why stalwart behavior is so weird and unpredictable:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=21265

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42389

If you really want to include a level like this one where the player must keep at least one soldier alive to complete the room, I strongly encourage you to make things a bit more lenient on the player by including more soldiers and fewer things that might kill them. In 1E for example, I found it extremely fiddly to prevent the stalwarts from just dying on the spike traps. This room would have felt a lot better if I only had to keep one stalwart alive instead of two, or if there were fewer spike traps or more gaps in the spike traps. Ideally both of those things. This is only one example (though probably the most egregious one). I found that most of the other rooms on this level also had me resorting to frustrated button mashing and fiddling around until something finally worked.

I don't mean to end on a sour note. All the other levels were super fun so far. I'm looking forward to exploring further into the hold soon.

12-09-2019 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: TFR Temple of Pain 1N1E- Challenge.demo (7 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Temple of Pain 1N1E : challenge : Kill all Nests before any Aumtlich dies
12-09-2019 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KituU

File: map repeated names.jpg (158.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Hi, comments so far:

Shrine of temporal Transcendence: fantastic theme ! undoing trapdoors, awesome
1N1E: nice puzzle, can be solved without using temporal at all

Cult of Cosmopolitan : personally, found it a bit too easy and repetitive

Arena of Angst: 2W: fun interaction of dagger and gel !
Arena of Angst: 1N3W: only one temporal token needed, suppose you know that

Mountain Hideout was fun !
2N1W: it is possible to do without speed potion, enjoyed it.

Repetitive Ridge of reversal: personally i think less is better, the room is great but doing it again and again ... it gets too tedious. A pity cause the last room is a lot of fun.
I would remove some rooms, or make the variant of same room a different experience.

Map: shows repeated names of places (image)

Having to go through many rooms already beaten, looking for new destination: i would simplify the connections between maps and levels

12-10-2019 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
Okay, I took into consideration both KitU's and Insoluble's comments.

Void of Indeterminate Time: Giant room made more difficult, challenge moved to tar room (1N2W)

Shrine of Temporal Transcendence: Fixed 1E by adding trapdoors between sections, and added roach queens to provide more monsters as the player progresses.

Mountain Hideout: Added mandatory Pirate Captain switcher in entrance and fixed 1N by moving the pressure plate.

Jaded Jail: Modified rooms to be easier.

Repetitive Ridge of Reversal: The repetitive nature of the rooms is intentional, as the different weapons in each section provide variety in the combat, but I decided to add a little bit more variety.

Temple of Pain: Fixed 1N and 1E.

12-14-2019 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Also, I believe the reason the map shows repeated names for you and Insoluble is because you are continuing where you left off, which happened before I fixed the hold map.

Please let me know if the problem still occurs, as my computer died again and so you will have to play Chapter 2 from the beginning. I provided a level skip straight to VoIT, making sure to set flags required for that point in the story (director_chase, climbing_gear, etc)

12-14-2019 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Hi,
Merciless Moat 1N and 1N1E : have bactracking problem. After the rooms are solved, the red doors are up, and there is no way to drop trapdoors, so the rooms cannot be traversed again to access other rooms
12-18-2019 at 12:48 PM
KituU
icon Re: The Final Reckoning (+1)  
Hi, had a lot of good fun playing, ...until i got to Torture Chambers, (the "torture" is a bit too literal)
Comments:

Click here to view the secret text

12-21-2019 at 08:04 PM
azb
I fixed Torture Chambers 1N by removing the obstacles - the large amount of Roach Queens and Slayers is intentional, as I gave the player a speed potion.

I fixed the rest of the rooms by adding yellow doors around all the monsters so that the player is not overwhelmed at the beginning - 1N1E should now be easier to do (the player should also have a sword rather than staff at this point), and 2N1E should be possible with the fix now. If you are still having problems, don't be afraid to ask for help! :)

I also fixed Merciless Moat backtracking and Royal Fortress secret room.

12-27-2019 at 07:18 PM
KituU
azb wrote:
I fixed Torture Chambers 1N by removing the obstacles - the large amount of Roach Queens and Slayers is intentional, as I gave the player a speed potion.

Hi, didn't download new version, but obstacles were no problem, in fact they helped to keep chambers closed. The obstacles could be moved with the staff'
Regardless of speed potion, the only way to kill roaches is with slayer's sword, so it is very laborious. Don't know in how many turns you solved it, but to me it was a lot. The northern chambers were filled with roaches and to have the slayer killing them is not fun, none.
Also, didn't post latest demos as it seems you are not downloading them, personally think you may get a lot of feedback by players demos
12-30-2019 at 04:50 AM
azb
The main reason I didn't watch player demos in the most recent postings of them is because they are usually for rooms I fixed by the next update. As an example, in the case of the previous post, you should not be able to access the torture chambers with only a staff after the new version - I intended for the player to do it with their sword intact (as the guard/pirate captain).

01-04-2020 at 12:13 AM
KituU
Hi, the demos i refered to were from current versions.
I continued playing the previous version as changes in the later levels were not mentioned, and didn't know if i could keep the progress. Will try it
01-05-2020 at 06:24 PM
azb
I don't know if that's possible with the changes I implemented... you should be forced to play as the Pirate Captain before getting to the Torture Chambers. Did you perhaps continue from where you left off? If so, could you please restore back to the entrance?

I fixed it again right now by adding a Captain Tile at the entrance and I also fixed a backtracking issue in 1N1E.

01-05-2020 at 08:07 PM
KituU
So, downloaded latest version, it is regarded by drod as a new different hold, no progress saved at all.
Maybe you can add a way to access later levels for testing purpose?

Playing in the editor:

Torture Chambers with a sword it's fun.
1N 1E : backtracking: Slayers get in the narrow passage,no way to pass.

Atrocious Archive Basement 2S1W : after solving room, if you exit through the west entrance, when reentering there is a yellow door that doesn’t allow to pass through the room.

Royal Fortress 1N2W: how to open yellow door to exit?, what can press the pplate that toggles that yellow door at the exit

[Last edited by KituU at 01-06-2020 03:25 PM]
01-06-2020 at 02:11 AM
azb
Hello, I am sorry I didn't get back until now - I was busy with other errands in life.

However, I think I fixed all of the above issues (starting at the Torture Chambers problem) to the best of my ability - please let me know if there is any other you can find. Thank you! :)

The reason the hold ID was different was because my computer had died a second time, so I had to start afresh on another one.

02-20-2020 at 12:31 PM
bbb
Rank Points: 215
The stairs in Ancient Dungeon end the hold instead of going to the world map.
01-12-2021 at 05:56 AM
azb
That's really strange - I thought I fixed that before the most recent version, but I will try to fix it again. I think it's because of a bug/glitch with the World Map Select script no longer worked when I imported it on another account, and had to manually make the script work again

01-13-2021 at 04:48 PM
azb
Okay, it wasn't the script, it was a hardcoded feature of the game that glitches out - stairs that lead to World Map Select screens don't function properly when you edit them on another account and revert to "end hold". I got it fixed now though.

I had to edit it on yet another new account so another hold ID will show up, because I got an upgraded laptop from my old one with a different graphics card and more RAM.

[Last edited by azb at 01-13-2021 04:56 PM]
01-13-2021 at 04:54 PM
bbb
Dugandy Tribe to world map needs to be fixed.

01-15-2021 at 04:43 AM
azb

01-16-2021 at 02:42 PM
azb
I am also planning on 100 combat levels total for this hold similar to TSS' amount, with 60 main levels, 15 side levels, some optional and some mandatory for progress among the main levels, 20 bonus levels, one for each challenge completed in the main and side levels, and 3 post-conquer extra levels and 2 post-mastery levels.

So far, I have 33 main levels implemented, and 6 side levels implemented. I think I should probably work on finishing the main and side levels before adding the bonus, post-conquer, and post-master levels.

01-16-2021 at 03:25 PM
azb
I have finished the Heart of the Fortress level as well now, so I will post that as well. I plan on making the next couple of levels story-wise be the town where the Slayer from the arena comes from, like I did with the Stalwart and the final main levels at this point in the process.

01-16-2021 at 05:04 PM
azb
I just noticed that I forgot to add the custom NPC's to the trapdoors to make them reset in Heart of the Fortress 2W when you need them to. :doh

I got it fixed just now though too.

01-17-2021 at 12:44 AM
bbb
Responses:

New:

Temple of Pain:
1N1E - There is no way to light the fuse. Is there a missing power token? (I managed to clear all the skipper nests.)

01-17-2021 at 02:04 PM
azb

[Last edited by azb at 01-18-2021 02:22 AM : Hall of the Forgotten problem solved]
01-17-2021 at 10:30 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Final Reckoning (First and Second Chapters complete)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com