Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
<<4567
Page 8 of 17
9101112>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
Maurog wrote:
Umm, what about diagonal grid doors like you got in Dugan's snake levels? JtRH won't treat them as one door, so will it like, translate this into a button which commands all of them, or will just the door that the button is physically linked to be switched? Is there a limit to how many doors a button controls in JtRH?
There hasn't been a limit on how many doors can be controlled by each orb since DROD:AE. And when JtRH imports an AE hold, it will add orb associations to maintain the same behavior. The only difference you should see is lightning bolts going from the orb to all door components rather than just one, but considering that the graphics engine has been redone anyway, that may not be so noticable.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-14-2004 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5059
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+3)  
Maurog wrote:
Umm, what about diagonal grid doors like you got in Dugan's snake levels? JtRH won't treat them as one door, so will it like, translate this into a button which commands all of them?
Yes, that's right.
Is there a limit to how many doors a button controls in JtRH?
608 doors.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-14-2004 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
mrimer wrote:
608 doors.

Just to forestall questions, (38*32)/2 = 608. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-14-2004 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
mrimer wrote:
608 doors.
Just to forestall questions, (38*32)/2 = 608. :P
... which is twice the limit of 304 doors in DROD:AE!

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:12-14-2004 at 05:27 PM]

++Adam H. Peterson
12-14-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
...Which should increase the move requirement of upcoming longest possible rooms by a lot moves ;)
12-14-2004 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
I have 3 questions:

1) Can levels be connected, i.e. have to different start points joind by steps? Or will to copies of the same level need to be made to achieve the same outcome?

2) Will/Can the entire level map be displayed at the start of a level, or is it on an 'appear on the map when you enter it' basis?

3) Can orbs affect doors in other rooms/levels

All of these may have been answered before, so I apologise for this of course.

Ta.

:)

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:12-16-2004 at 01:35 PM]

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
12-16-2004 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
geomatrx wrote:
1) Can levels be connected, i.e. have to different start points joind by steps? Or will to copies of the same level need to be made to achieve the same outcome?
In JtRH you are able to make multiple start points, and multiple stairs in each level. There are even up stairs now which are useful for making a tower (or if you want to have the player backtrack through the levels).
geomatrx wrote:
2) Will/Can the entire level map be displayed at the start of a level, or is it on an 'appear on the map when you enter it' basis?
They appear on entrance, just like DROD:AE.
geomatrx wrote:
No.
12-16-2004 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
Thanks Zmann, have some responses below:

Zmann wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
In JtRH you are able to make multiple start points, and multiple stairs in each level. There are even up stairs now which are useful for making a tower (or if you want to have the player backtrack through the levels).
Cool! Now, If I start to make a hold in AE, and then I import to JTRH, will I be able to make use of this feature on my imported hold?
Zmann wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
Again, cool? But when you return to a previous level, or enter through another staircase, will the areas you have already discovered remain on the map?
Zmann wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
No.
OK. (Was expecting this one)

MetDROiD Echoes
12-16-2004 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
geomatrx wrote:
Thanks Zmann, have some responses below:

Zmann wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
Cool! Now, If I start to make a hold in AE, and then I import to JTRH, will I be able to make use of this feature on my imported hold?

Yes.

Zmann wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
Again, cool? But when you return to a previous level, or enter through another staircase, will the areas you have already discovered remain on the map?

They will remain on the map.

12-16-2004 at 02:42 PM
geomatrx
Great! I better get cracking then. Only [unknown period of time between 3-6 months/] to go

MetDROiD Echoes
12-16-2004 at 02:47 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
About this character scripting stuff... Does it support what I would call "relative" scripting ? Especially relative positions ?

Say, I want my character to jump up and say "Baaaah!" when there's a goblin 2 squares to the left.

Then I want it to move and stay 2 north from that goblin.

Or perhaps I'm going to make a room where one nasty character controlling mimics and trying to hunt me down. (Possible to make one character mimic other's moves ?)

? ? ?
Click here to view the secret text
?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-17-2004 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Nope. You have to pick one absolute spot for things to move to.

-Erik

12-17-2004 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
If you are interested in buying the Boxed version of JtHL, will we be able to recieve them around (before/after) the exact date it comes out?
12-17-2004 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
The CD version of JtRH will be available before or at the same time as the downloadable. We won't release the downloadable first, because I don't want people having buyer's remorse about not getting the deluxe CD version instead.

Kinda like when I bought the Special Elite Collectors Edition of Fellowship of the Rings, and then there was a month later the Really Special Previous Release Was Crap Collectors Edition of Fellowship of the Rings for me to buy. Unscrupulous greedmongers and their exploitation of segmented markets. Hate em.

-Erik

12-17-2004 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
Yeah, gotta hate those unscrupulous greedm- wha? FREE HOBBIT FEET IN THIS EDITION?! It must be mine! :D

Probably best to release the CD version first to allow for postage time - I know I'd have a hard time taking the CD if I knew while I was waiting the downloadable version would be right there, teasing me every time I went on the site, telling me I could be playing right now, why don't I just pay the extra, it'll be worth it, come on, I know I want to...

[lucid] Hmm. I feel an idea coming to mind - really long postage times, anyone? :devil

12-17-2004 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
ErikH2000 wrote:
the deluxe CD version

What exactly is it that makes the CD version deluxe?

12-17-2004 at 11:24 PM
ErikH2000
You'll find out. We gotta have some secrets.

-Erik

12-17-2004 at 11:59 PM
Oneiromancer
Edit: Whoops, didn't realize Erik wanted that kept secret until after I posted...

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:12-18-2004 at 12:04 AM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-18-2004 at 12:03 AM
eytanz
RoboBob3000 wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
the deluxe CD version

It comes with lettuce, tomato, and fries.

12-18-2004 at 12:29 AM
ErikH2000
Honestly, I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what we intend to do with JtRH CD. It will definitely be more than just JtRH on a disc. For the sake of good showmanship, and because we don't know exactly what will be on it right now, I prefer to tell you later.

-Erik

12-18-2004 at 12:36 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
eytanz wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
the deluxe CD version

If you're very lucky, it will also come with the limited edition fold-out model of Matt's basement (scaled down accordingly to allow it to fit in the box, of course).

12-18-2004 at 12:38 AM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
ErikH2000 wrote:
Honestly, I think people will be pleasantly surprised by what we intend to do with JtRH CD. It will definitely be more than just JtRH on a disc. For the sake of good showmanship, and because we don't know exactly what will be on it right now, I prefer to tell you later.

-Erik
With all due respect, I think you should reconsider this; those of us who don't want to have to get it shipped from America will feel like we're really missing out. If the extra material is software rather than physical, then maybe consider making it downloadable for people who have completed the downloadable version of JtRH?

12-18-2004 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Slug
Rank Points: 122
agaricus5 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:

If you're very lucky, it will also come with the limited edition fold-out model of Matt's basement (scaled down accordingly to allow it to fit in the box, of course).

Or maybe they will send some alive miniature sized dungeon roaches and stuff, so that everyone can build their own real dungeon in their living room!
12-18-2004 at 07:34 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I might just do that...
12-18-2004 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
Actually they've been sending miniature giant roaches to your house for a while now. You've just been mistaking them for regular roaches.
12-19-2004 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Ah, those. I was wondering why someone was sending me insects. Does matt want them back, do you think?

Anyway, As long as this CD has the game I'm happy. But now I have broadband, I can just download it if possible!
12-19-2004 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388

Of course, you don't actually need to scale it down to fit in the box, but then we have enough room for a cloth map.

We're not putting a cloth map in there, but there's room for it.

With all due respect, I think you should reconsider this; those of us who don't want to have to get it shipped from America will feel like we're really missing out. If the extra material is software rather than physical, then maybe consider making it downloadable for people who have completed the downloadable version of JtRH?

Well, not that I'm going to sort of blow the whole thing open (I've had a sternly worded letter), but remember that the CD isn't going to be a special edition sort of thing, so you might able to work out what sorts of things we'd put there (and more importantly, won't put there) if it's not going to be a special edition. It's a brainbender, I know, but then you play DROD so I guess you're used to puzzles grabbing your head and beating your brain on the table.

Matt

12-21-2004 at 12:06 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Will the contents of one level be influenced by the contents of another in the same hold?

I mean, can I make a hold with one level connecting to two others but have the entrance to the third level (The second one the first is connected to) be only accessible one the second level (The first one the first is connected to) is done?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
12-21-2004 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
You can't have what happens on one level influence another directly, although you could probably approximate this by using multiple stairways and blue doors.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer at Local Time:12-21-2004 at 12:14 AM]

12-21-2004 at 12:13 AM
eytanz
To expand, one easy way to do what you suggest is as follows:

Say level 1 is connected to levels 2 and 3.

Put a blue door in level 1 blocking the entrance to level 3. Have level 2 drop you back in level 1 in a room (or part of a room) that's inacessible otherwise. Hence, the blue door won't open until level 2 is solved.

You don't even need blue doors - if you're careful, green doors will do the trick (just make a room that can only be solved from one direction, put a green door in it that blocks the entrance to level 3, and make that direction only accessible from level 2).

12-21-2004 at 12:40 AM
<<4567
Page 8 of 17
9101112>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes