Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Back to Playing DROD Again (Random musings from an old player)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Back to Playing DROD Again (+2)  
Hi all,

Its been a really long time since I've posted here last, but I figured that with the DROD games making an appearance on Steam, I thought I'd check back in and see how everyone's doing.

As soon as I saw that KDD, JtRH and TCB had been released as DLC for Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on Steam, I just had to buy them all again, along with the Smitemaster Selections. And going back and even just playing a few minutes, I gotta say it was a super fun blast from the past, and I felt like a teenager playing them for the first time again. And hopefully now that I'm older and wiser, I can appreciate the puzzles on a new level as well (there were a few rooms I remember getting really stuck on as a kid). If the source code for the games are still available, I might poke around there at some point too, since C++ isn't one big incoherent mess to me anymore.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop by and say hi. Also if anyone from back in the day sees this, be sure to drop me a line. I'll keep an eye on this thread and my PMs for a little just in case :)

01-06-2017 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Back to Playing DROD Again (0)  
Hey, it's Pilchard!

Does that mean that KPVIIID4: The Next Generation might be coming out someday? :D

01-06-2017 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2334
There's still a few of us who have stayed (relatively) active over the years. Good to have you around again!
01-06-2017 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Hikari wrote:
Hey, it's Pilchard!

Does that mean that KPVIIID4: The Next Generation might be coming out someday? :D

I might give hold creation a shot again at some point (especially since I want to see what new gameplay elements have been added), though it'll probably only be a small thing if I do make one.

You've given me an idea too, I might go back and try to play the KPVIIID levels I made and see what they were like, though I get the feeling they will be pretty cringy xD

01-06-2017 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Okay, so I just tried playing The Slayer's Revenge, as well as KPVIIID1. TSR wasn't as great as I remember thinking it was back in the day, and I think I was trying WAAAAAY too hard to be edgy and cool back in KPVIIID1 to the point where its super cringeworthy. I had a friend watching me play and we were both laughing literally at the first sentence of the hold (I can't believe I called Beethro's friend Strafe xD)

01-06-2017 at 11:26 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Hey Pilchard! Welcome back to the forums! :)

If you're interested, I started doing a Let's Play channel about two years ago, and I played KPVIIID1 on it! I'm planning to go through the other ones as well eventually :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-07-2017 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
OdiePie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Welcome back, PilchardVIII! I've actually been a lurker on these forums for a long time, so I hope Elfstone comes back too.... ;)

My Magistream Keep (click the eggs here first!)

(\__/)
{='.'=} This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(“)_(”) signature to help Bunny gain world domination.
01-08-2017 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Welcome back! I tend to fade in and out too so it's nice to see familiar faces when I come back too.
01-08-2017 at 06:06 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Holy crap, it's Pilchard. At this rate Elfstone might randomly show up again.
01-14-2017 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
icon Re: Back to Playing DROD Again (+1)  
Just me again. Thought I'd drop a message to say that I am really enjoying the updated versions of the original DROD trilogy. The additions of challenges and the new themes and features really make it feel like I'm playing the definitive versions of each hold.

So far I've completed all of KDD and JtRH, and I'm up to the platform level in TCB. and I've noticed that the later levels were a lot less frustrating than when I played them as a kid, and there were only a small handful of rooms that I got really stuck on, as opposed to where I used to be checking hints or solutions for every other room. Probably just a wisdom with age thing, but yeah, I'm having a much more trip through this time round.

PS. I'll definitely be picking up TSS when I complete GatEB

02-01-2017 at 07:45 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Back to Playing DROD Again (Random musings from an old player)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com