Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ZebTM
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format? (0)  
FLAC, WAV, etc.

I've been learning to make beats lately and I'd like to sample DROD songs, but that requires having a lossless version of the music. I'm assuming the soundtracks on steam are NOT lossless but someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to pay for them if they're in FLAC. Otherwise, are there any options outside of tracking down the sold-out physical soundtracks somehow and ripping them myself?
12-04-2016 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format? (0)  
Music for TCB, Guntur and TSS are available in FLAC. Don't know about the other tracks. http://artoftravelogue.bandcamp.com/album/soundtrack-to-drod-the-city-beneath
12-05-2016 at 08:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
DMOD and Emmett Plant's pieces on Steam are in mp3 format, so if you want a lossless format the only choice is to convert them. However, Emmett Plant's TSS pieces are also available on iTunes on Amazon, and lossless format might be available there. DMOD are simple music pieces with simple tracks and compositions that converting directly shouldn't bring out any noticable issues (And that all the mp3 files have 256k bitrate anyway).
12-05-2016 at 09:12 AM
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
uncopy2002 wrote:
DMOD and Emmett Plant's pieces on Steam are in mp3 format, so if you want a lossless format the only choice is to convert them. However, Emmett Plant's TSS pieces are also available on iTunes on Amazon, and lossless format might be available there. DMOD are simple music pieces with simple tracks and compositions that converting directly shouldn't bring out any noticable issues (And that all the mp3 files have 256k bitrate anyway).
Bandcamp actually allows you to download the files in flac, a lossless format, which is what I did, as I bought it from them, not iTunes or whatever. I believe there is a link somewhere in the forum, just use the search function to find it.

12-07-2016 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 115
There's another method I'm thinking of, but I'm pretty sure it's dubiously legal, and surprisingly, I don't mean piracy; in fact, AFAIK, you'd actually need to own a full copy of DROD to even do it.

That, and I don't know if it would contain all songs unless you had all DROD versions and all songs belonging to those particular holds. (I say this because there's this really awesome song in the Deep Spaces design that I don't see under the Deep Spaces name in scripting and it drives me nuts because I want to use it for stuff like cutscenes but I can't.)

But that's all I'll say about it. If someone wants to PM me asking if they think they know what it is (and tell me if that's classed as okay, or just legal, or if it's plainly illegal) please be my guest. I've probably said enough already knowing me.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 12-10-2016 05:19 AM]
12-10-2016 at 05:18 AM
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
Camwoodstock is probably talking about extracting the music from the game files using something like MetaKitExtract. Which is okay to do as long as you don't actually redistribute the files you've extracted. They're not in lossless format by the way. And converting a lossy file to lossless also doesn't actually make it lossless by the way.

12-10-2016 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 115
DezzTech wrote:
Camwoodstock is probably talking about extracting the music from the game files using something like MetaKitExtract. Which is okay to do as long as you don't actually redistribute the files you've extracted. They're not in lossless format by the way. And converting a lossy file to lossless also doesn't actually make it lossless by the way.

1. HOW DARE YOU NOT PM ME NYARG >:V
2. Nah, it's okay
3. Yes, that's what I was talking about.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-10-2016 at 01:05 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format? (+1)  
EDIT: Not Cam. My mistake. The OP was ZebTM.

Zeb, there is a thing that is bugging me...

You are acting like the only obstacle here is just figuring out how to get the file data.

It sounds like you want to make some new music sampling other people's works and distribute it in some form. Right? Like put it up on Soundcloud or Youtube or somewhere so your buddies and folks on the DROD forum can hear it.

That's very cool. I'm all for that.

But dammit man... are you gonna ask permission? Just ask the people that made the thing you want to use. They're all cool people. They'll probably say yes.

Just ask. It's not hard. Legally speaking, you're required to. (With the exception of the public domain music from DROD:AE.)

So for example, if you love the intro music to Journey to Rooted Hold and want to use that. Who wrote it? Emmett Plant. Then find Emmett with google and send him a message, "Emmett, I love this song. Can I use parts of it in my own song I'm making?"

And I think Emmett might say something like, "yeah, go ahead! Which parts did you like? Hmm... But this one section of the song, I didn't do, so maybe ask Mike or Erik about that if you want to use that."

The conversation might take extra time, but you are doing some good things by talking to people whose work you intend to use. You're giving them a compliment. You're respecting their wishes in how they want their work to be used. If it goes well, you become collaborators of a sort. It's a great way to enhance your creative experience as well as other people's.

Zeb, I know you mean well, and I already have a good opinion of you. I am just trying to show you that everybody's life could be a little bit better if you would do this one thing.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 12-11-2016 06:25 AM]
12-11-2016 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format? (+2)  
Re fair use argument. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/permission-sampled-music-sample-clearance-30165.html

Summary: For noncommercial use of samples in distributed music it seems to be ambiguous, and ends up depending on how a judge will rule. Recommendation is to get permission.

US Fair Use law is unfortunately very unclear in certain areas. They should get Lawrence Lessig to redo it.

-Erik

12-11-2016 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where can I get the DROD soundtracks in a lossless format?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com