Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trial By Fire (Various Puzzles of Medium/Hard Difficulty)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (10 votes)
σ 0.54
Author Name:Bomber50
Submitted By:bomber50
Hold Name:Trial By Fire
Theme:Various Puzzles of Medium/Hard Difficulty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:39
Number of Monsters:286
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:8 (+8 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Trial By Fire.hold (14.7 KB)
Downloaded 529 times.
License: Other
icon Trial By Fire  
A delver inadvertently stumbles into a dungeon whose rooms are covered in lava. Getting inside the dungeon wasn't too hard, but getting out will prove to be more of a challenge...

There are many puzzles to discover and solve! Have fun!

A big thanks to blorx1 for finding *tons* of unintended solutions! Thanks as well to Nuntar, Dischorran and lopsidation for beta testing!
10-15-2014 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Trial By Fire (+2)  
This is another hold in a similar vein to the same author's Foursquare -- one level of individual puzzles that can be tackled in any order, with a pleasing geometric level layout and nice attention to room aesthetics, particularly in the central corridor rooms. The puzzles have a good variety, and most are "simple" in the sense of few elements and clear goals. However, the hold is definitely a couple of notches harder than Foursquare, with some very nice linchpins and fun manipulation rooms.

Overall verdict:
6 brains
9 fun/quality

10-17-2014 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Trial By Fire (+1)  
My progress through this hold was pretty strange. When I first tried to tackle it I got stone-walled by most of the rooms and thought it was very hard, but then came back about a month later and just blasted through most of it really quickly. In hindsight I wonder what the problem was in the first place.

This hold has a whole bunch of very smart and cool and fun rooms, I liked it a lot. I could probably whine about one or two rooms here or there, but that's not really very fair, so I'm not going to. Instead, I'm going to suggest that you give it a try. Even if you don't play it all the way to completion, I think you'll find a number of rooms that'll make you sit up and think "Hey that was pretty neat".
11-14-2014 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trial By Fire (Various Puzzles of Medium/Hard Difficulty) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com