Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (in Chrome)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (0)  
In Chrome, Shift + Numpad does the same thing as Numpad alone.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

06-17-2012 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (+1)  
Is Num Lock enabled? If so, disable it. (I have no idea why regular movement works with Num Lock enabled.)

06-18-2012 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
icon Re: FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
Is Num Lock enabled? If so, disable it. (I have no idea why regular movement works with Num Lock enabled.)
That fixed the problem, but it should work anyway. If regular movement works with Num Lock on, so should Shift + (move).

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-18-2012 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
Trickster wrote:
That fixed the problem, but it should work anyway. If regular movement works with Num Lock on, so should Shift + (move).
You wish :(. I might try again, but the last time I tried it was simply impossible.

Edit: I remember now, I didn't have numpad before, so I wasn't able to test it empirically, so maybe it is fixable.

[Last edited by skell at 06-18-2012 07:18 AM]
06-18-2012 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
skell wrote:
Edit: I remember now, I didn't have numpad before, so I wasn't able to test it empirically, so maybe it is fixable.
It's okay if it isn't fixable (or if it's too much trouble), but it should be noted in help, command list, and the scroll that mentions Shift+ that Num Lock must be turned off in order for it to work properly.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-18-2012 at 01:56 PM
skell
icon Re: FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (+1)  
I had to do here one of the ugliest hacks in my life (not including anything I did for my normal job).

Tp make it short, Flash Virtual Machine tells the code that Shift was released by the user just before doing Shift+Numpad when numlock is off. After you release last of the Numpad keys it tells the code that Shift is back up. Confused already? Fixed for 1.02

06-19-2012 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
skell wrote:
I had to do here one of the ugliest hacks in my life (not including anything I did for my normal job).

Tp make it short, Flash Virtual Machine tells the code that Shift was released by the user just before doing Shift+Numpad when numlock is off. After you release last of the Numpad keys it tells the code that Shift is back up. Confused already? Fixed for 1.02
You have had my deepest sympathies from the very beginning for being stuck with Flash, to be honest.

I tried to learn Flash once just to make animations. Jegus, it was complex...I gave up after a couple of days when I realized I'd need to purchase a manual to make progress at a decent rate. I can only imagine what programming for it must be like, and I know it's larger and ungainlier than it should be, as well as extremely insecure (at least if anything re: Jobs' personal war against it was truthful).

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-19-2012 at 09:43 PM
skell
Trickster wrote:
You have had my deepest sympathies from the very beginning for being stuck with Flash, to be honest.

I tried to learn Flash once just to make animations. Jegus, it was complex...I gave up after a couple of days when I realized I'd need to purchase a manual to make progress at a decent rate. I can only imagine what programming for it must be like, and I know it's larger and ungainlier than it should be, as well as extremely insecure (at least if anything re: Jobs' personal war against it was truthful).
Heh, I am afraid I can't agree at all :). The language by itself is not difficult, very similar to Java, and pretty advanced - I am talking about coding in Actionscript 3. AS2 was uglier and much more Javascript-like, true. On the other hand, using Flash Authoring Tool is a pain in everywhere, unless you know all the tricks and ways on how to NOT make it crash,

Flash is less insecure than Javascript and Java in all honesty. It has much less access, more restrictive sandbox and, sometimes, it gets to a point where it feels they tried to hard and made it developer unfriendly. I am pretty sure it has been quite some years since last major security bug was available, at least nothing I heard of.

As for Job's personal war, I have only one thing to say - if you have an app store you don't want to give your user access to free applications on the internet. I doubt there was much more to it.

I don't know when you wanted to learn it, but the language has evolved quite a bit and despite its numerous quirks (but seriously, nothing is perfect) it's a pretty fine piece of software.

06-19-2012 at 09:50 PM
Trickster
skell wrote:
I don't know when you wanted to learn it, but the language has evolved quite a bit and despite its numerous quirks (but seriously, nothing is perfect) it's a pretty fine piece of software.
That's encouraging! The last time I looked at it was nearly ten years ago, so I expect it has changed a bit.

I'd probably be more interested in looking at it for making art than programming--I can do all the graphic stuff in Java I need easily enough already. I'll take another peek when I get a chance, probably in a few months.

And I'm not exactly a Jobs-worshiper, so my impression has been similar. I've heard Flash's security questioned by other sources, though. It had numerous vulnerabilities for exploits a few years ago (as recent as 09 or 10), and this has been reported on by a number of tech outlets. I don't know how it's changed since then, though. I don't really keep up-to-date on tech stuff outside the things I use personally.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

06-20-2012 at 02:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : FDROD: Shift+Numpad Doesn't Work (in Chrome)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com