Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : BlazBlue is awesome.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon BlazBlue is awesome. (0)  
Really. It is. I don't think there's anything else that's as polished, intense or as sheerly fun. Even the story kicks some serious arse.

Also, I'm not here to do a review, just to tell you all how awesome this is and why.

Essentially the plot revolves around a man known only as Ragna the Bloodedge. Long ago, Ragna's home was burned down, he loses an arm, his brother escapes and his sister's fate is unknown for most of the game. Something happened since that point and the present that forced Ragna to try and destroy the Novus Orbis Librarium, known also as the Library, a dictatorship that took power in Ragna's land after a bloody war against an enemy known as the Black Beast.

So one man's going to take on the mighty Library? Well, he isn't the first, years ago an organization known as the Ikaruga Foundation tried to do the same, and was destroyed in the process. Luckily, Ragna somehow came into possession of the Azure Grimoire, also known as the BlazBlue. Ragna has already been traveling the land for some time, taking out the mysterious cauldrons, the source of the Library's power. Now Ragna has reached the 13th city, Kagatsuchi, this time with an absurdly large bounty on his head.

As you may have guessed, the bounty hunter subplot naturally gives rise to a large amount of playable characters. There are 16 in all, and they range from Library Assasins to people who are invested in the plot to a far greater degree. What's brilliant about the story is how it's told. Instead of a linear narrative ala Melty Blood ReACT, BlazBlue is told in a more traditional fashion. In both the Arcade and Story modes you choose your character and start their story from scratch, but the latter has branching paths and are all pretty long (by fighting game standards, about an hour each). To unravel the story, you'll have to play each character's story mode several times, and one you've beaten it once with each character, a second story for Ragna pops up. By doing this, you unravel the game's extensive backstory (it goes far beyond what I already told you, which is all in the manual) and the purpose of at first inexplicable events becomes clear. It doesn't hurt that the dialogue is all well written (with the exception of Ragna's tough guy monologues, which made me feel like I was playing a doujin): you'll feel chills the first time you hear the almost erotic imagery as v.13 describes what it was like being killed by Ragna "the last time" in such an excited voice.

The main draw, though is that the gameplay is fast, fun and approaches excess when it comes to depth. It's the successor to Guilty Gear, and even though it condenses some of that game's features to make the experience smoother, there's still a lot to sink your teeth into.

There's also a solid online mode. Though matches occasionally lag, it is always near the beginning of the match, and dies down soon (if by some miracle both players decide to watch the opening sequence, which takes about 10 seconds, it's gone). It has six player lobbies (as opposed to SFIV's two player lobbies), full replay support and exhaustive stat-tracking that tracks every player's two most used characters, win/loss record (for both Ranked and Player matches, which will annoy some) and a full experience system that always makes sure you're fighting people with a similar skill level.

The best part, though, is the little touches. Character's taunt each other by name during the match (seriously, almost every voice sample has a version for every other character in the game), the instant kills only work in very specific conditions, destroying their use as a cheap ticket to a lucky victory, the percentage of cutscenes seen is displayed next to the character's name in Story Mode and there are throwaway graphical details everywhere the eye can see. This game has polish.

I'd suggest buying a copy now, since you get three extra disks. One of these is a substandard tutorial disk, that does little but reiterate the manual and spell out some basic combos (also in the manual), but the other two are the soundtrack for the entire Guilty Gear series, which had some pretty awesome music. It also costs the same as the Standard edition that will be released later this month.

But really, the only thing you need to know is that BlazBlue is awesome. Really, really awesome.

07-01-2009 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: BlazBlue is awesome. (0)  
but libraries are good things :(

07-01-2009 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Also the 360 has a patch that adds double-bind selection for Ranked Matches (you can't see who the other person is picking) and I've heard it also all but eliminated the lag. The PS3 version doesn't have it yet, but we've been assured that it's getting it "very soon".

07-02-2009 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
Please tell me you got the 360 version.
07-02-2009 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
No, why?

The PS3 patch is out anyway.

07-02-2009 at 06:44 PM
Snacko
Just finished the story mode, and although the True Ending story path was undeniably awesome, it's worth noting that the story is complex enough that you will be confused unless you really pursued certain character's alternate endings.

That said I really enjoyed the story overall, filler aside (there are some joke endings that follow plots such as Lichi chasing Noel around the city in order to dress her up while making fun of her flat chest and there is absolutely no way to know if an ending is vital to understanding the story). The characters were well developed and the cyclical nature of the story both really works with the game's structure and is utterly fascinating from an existential standpoint, but people who don't like reading or anime are going to be bored, and for them, unless you really like unlocking galleries, I would suggest that they simply don't play the Story Mode. It's entirely auxiliary to the main experience and they'll get most of the story anyway from the much more abridged Arcade Mode (though they'll be missing the true ending and I don't think Terumi, the main villain, appears at all, though Kokonoe's hand is ever present), which has 20 fights a character as opposed to the the 3-15 in Story Mode.

The patch literally worked perfectly. I have not been in one laggy match since downloading it. I think a lot of people write off fighting games as not worth their time because their experience is limited to Street Fighter II's god awful single player mode, which is a shame because competitive play can be absolutely exhilarating, especially in games as good as Street Fighter III, Guilty Gear XX, Melty Blood Act Cadenza and, of course, BlazBlue.

In my experience, I've seen five kinds of fighting games:

Street Fighter (simple mechanics, good balance, lots of strategic depth)

Mortal Kombat (absolutely not designed with gameplay in mind. Simply driven by a gimmick that looks crappy and in no way improves the game)

Melty Blood (big flashy explosions, long combo strings. Incredibly difficult to get a handle on, but almost always worth it)

Virtua Fighter (driven by a need to find, create and exploit openings in defense. Can be just as combo-heavy as Melty Blood, but is based more on timing than positioning)

Namco's Fighters (button mashing with only the requisite helping of counters and parries to make things interesting)

The great thing about BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear for that matter, is that it takes the best parts of the third and first to create something new. Combos are important, but they're no substitute for good timing and although many parts of the game take a lot of practice, they are generally accessible. How is this done? Well, there are a few ways:

Guard Gauges/Libras and damage scaling:

In Guilty Gear, it was fairly clear how this was done. Whenever a character blocked, a meter would increase, increasing the damage they take when they DO get hit, and the reverse happens when an attack connects. This meant that it was vital to stay on the offensive at all times, but the combo system (which is near excessive, especially in the case of characters like Chipp or Anji) requires that you be more deliberate in your revolver chains and that you find ways to chain together heavy hits rather than simply working your way up.

In BlazBlue, this is achieved through damage scaling and the Guard Libra. Every time a character blocks, the Guard Libra moves towards their direction. Once it hits the edge, their barrier shatters. Furthermore, the higher the combo meter gets, the more damage will be scaled down, determined by a percentile that is unique to each character. Tager, for example, won't do much damage on the second hit, as the main challenge of playing him is attempting to tag the enemy with powerful attacks: if his combos were useful, the character would be completely broken. Noel on the other hand needs to carefully use her Drive and long range attacks in tandem in order to keep pressure, especially since she can't do much damage outside her Drive. This also creates interesting situations, such as Jin's downright frightening combo potential made useless if it needs to be set up with weaker attacks, calling for Yukianesa's freeze Drive attacks.

Revolver Routes

The Revolver Route is the basic idea that a character can combo from a normal executed with a weaker button to one performed with a stronger button, with little quirks in the formula differing by character. This sidesteps the most intimidating part of mastering a combo: finding it out in the first place. It's clear what your next attack can and can't be, and you're left to puzzle out more important things, like when something can be jump or dash cancelled and whether that can be used to extend a combo. In other words, it takes the positioning and timing, that is, all the fun parts of constructing combos, and makes it the only thing you have to worry about. Tellingly, this system is virtually untouched in BlazBlue, with the only change being that Drive does not necessarily fit into the Route (with a few very important exceptions, such as Jin's Yukianesa).

Roman Cancels

I'm fully aware that I'm going a bit into the hardcore side of comboing here, but the truth is Roman Cancels open up a good deal of really tough combos for inexperienced players may not have the timing for them. Of course, the main draw of the feature is all the cool stuff you can do that you can't do traditionally, and luckily that works well too.

It's a game made for the hardcore crowd, sure, but it's always been accessible. Even if you don't want to learn all the bells and whistles, you can have a lot of fun just on the surface (as long as you don't play someone better).

Also Bang Shishigami is too awesome for words. Not only does he inexplicably carry a giant nail on his back that he never uses, but his will is so powerful that the only way he can truly express the essence of his never ending fight for love, loyalty and justice is with a special move that plays his theme song until the stage ends. Now that's a true hero.

[Last edited by Snacko at 07-03-2009 11:51 AM]
07-03-2009 at 11:44 AM
Bobpie
Snacko wrote:
No, why?

The PS3 patch is out anyway.
So I could fight you online
07-06-2009 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bobpie
Bump

Blazblue: Continuum Shift has been announced
From what I heard they are fiddling around with all of that characters and adding a few more.
09-29-2009 at 03:07 AM
Snacko
Judging by the announced addition of Tsubaki and Terumi (Tsubaki with a fancy new Armagus), it also seems to take place after Calamity Trigger.

I'm usually as pissed off as anyone else about Street Fighter II syndrome, but AKSYS has a long history of releasing updates that make previous versions seem virtually unplayable. The updates I've already heard about seem like big ones, like a completely redone Drive for Ragna (his Drive was incredibly powerful when used in conjunction with his install, but considering it drained his health it did little to counteract his laughable health bar, instead turning the match into a desperate attempt to land every Drive hit possible), a more balanced and accessible Carl (hopefully with the removal of his pseudo infinite loop) and a retooled barrier burst.

Not that I wouldn't rather have an online enabled PSN Accent Core, however.

09-29-2009 at 05:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : BlazBlue is awesome.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com