Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Ramifications of Oremites (Sounds like a fantasy novel, doesn't it?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon The Ramifications of Oremites (0)  
Anyway. Apparently, these "oremites" eat metal and cover the entire city. Now, how does one build an Empire without metal? I mean, certainly there are other substances that can be used, like stone, plastics, and various polymers, but these either aren't as versatile or qualified as metal, or require a high level of technology unattainable without the benefits metals provide!
This would explain why they use runners instead of telegraphs, though.
I could go on, but it's late and I haven't ordered the full version yet.

04-06-2007 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: The Ramifications of Oremites (0)  
I dunno, the oremites aren't everywhere.
04-06-2007 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
It seems that the actual element of oremites was only used in the gate of sheathing. All the other rooms use a script.

04-06-2007 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
My bet is that the oremites only eat metal suitable for use in swords, and the guy at the gate just said they ate "metal" because he didn't like going into finer details.

That, or they have some way of removing oremites from an area during construction efforts and sealing everything with a metal interior, but non-metal exterior (e.g. electronics). That seems plausible, going by the fact that there are some buildings in the city without oremites inside.

04-06-2007 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Fafnir wrote:
That, or they have some way of removing oremites from an area during construction efforts and sealing everything with a metal interior, but non-metal exterior (e.g. electronics). That seems plausible, going by the fact that there are some buildings in the city without oremites inside.
Well sheathing beethro's sword will protect it, so it can't be all that nasty.
04-06-2007 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
I keep thinking about the rust monsters from Dungeons and dragons. :fear

04-06-2007 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Ramifications of Oremites (+2)  
It's all flawlessly consistent! flawlessly consistent, I say!

But to clarify - there are oremites in the entire city, but they're not very dense, plus it would be really ugly if everything was lime green, so we didn't actually put them for most of it.

As for materials - the Empire is an expert in manipulating earth and stone - remember, they can make it come to life. It stands to reason they can use it for complex construction even when out own science cannot achieve that.

Plus, Fafnir is right - oremites probably don't eat all metals. They don't affect orbs, for instance, or all the pipes that are found around the city, or the clockweights. But these are metals that are either too heavy (e.g. lead) or soft (e.g. copper) to make weapons of.

Oremites, like most of what's found under the surface, have been engineered by the Empire for their purposes - which in this case is forcing people to disarm, not making it impossible for their society to function.

04-06-2007 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Ramifications of Oremites (Sounds like a fantasy novel, doesn't it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com