Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How old are you?
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How old are you?
< 15
15-18
19-22
23-30
31 +
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged
icon Re: How old are you? (0)  
trick wrote:
I remember .. brown .. although there were more colors, I think.
Maybe it's because I'm posting at 1am, but for some reason the vagueness of that struck me as immensely amusing.

:lol :lol :lol :lol
03-22-2006 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: How old are you? (+1)  
Anyway, this was a cartridge game, a labyrinth game of some sort. I remember .. brown .. although there were more colors, I think. Also, there were monsters and keys and stuff, and lots of animations -- torches burning on the walls. It also had a two player mode, which was the best part. I think it had 'Labyrinth' or 'Maze' in the title (and the title had more than one word), but I've searched a bit and found nothing.

Ok... this can be tackled.

Firstly, I too had that console. But there were definitely no 3D games on it. Even tile based pre-gened dungeons. Are you talking about top down view?

Secondly, brown would generally suggest Eye of the Beholder as all the walls were a rather dull brown. But again, wasn't released on that particular console.

Thirdly, the torch thing is very reminscient of Dungeon Master for the Atari, but the computer as opposed to the console (STE|F). It was the first game to really capture the atmosphere of an underground maze in "3D". This includes the first "pseudo 3D" monster anims, as still used by ID Software 7 years later. In fact, if you changed "brown" to "grey", and "console" to "computer" I'd have put money on the fact this was the game.

Fourthly, and sticking with "brown", later came Ultima Underworld which is definitely either brown, or has a brown feeling to it.

And fifthly, in a bizarre twist, I also suggest Solomon's Key (Web remake that's very akin to the original) as it has not only brown blocks, and keys (on every level) but also featured on the Atari 520 (albeit never on the cartridge version). This is indeed a longshot, especially considering the original blocks were more yellowy, had a theme tune, and the fact there's no 3D.

Go on... one more hint ;)
03-22-2006 at 09:58 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Syntax wrote:
Ok... this can be tackled.
Thank you for the attempt, but it was none of these games (at least not if Google Images is to be believed). I never said the game was 3D .. maybe you mixed my and mattcrampy's descriptions ?
And fifthly, in a bizarre twist, I also suggest Solomon's Key (Web remake that's very akin to the original)
Great game! But alas.
Go on... one more hint ;)
Okay. The game took place in a dungeon, with top-down tiled graphics. IIRC the tiles were pretty colorful, but it's a pretty long time ago since I played this, so that might just be my imagination. I'm 100% sure this must have been before I was 10 (due to certain later events), probably long before. Probably before I was 8, now that I think about it. Anyway, the keys were yellow, and the doors looked like old wooden doors, upright squares where the top corners were rounded. The ground was dark. I think there might have been other tilesets, but I'm not sure. Also, it was not a turn based game, everything moved around in real-time. I don't think there was much music, but there were sound effects. You played a man, and, hm, I think one of the monsters was a ghost (classic white sheet with holes style). I don't remember being able to get rid of the monsters, so maybe you just had to avoid them. Not sure, though (might have been just the ghost). The torches on the walls lit up (smoothly) a small circular section of the wall they were hanging on, making them lighter brown, and the animation of the torches was more than 2-frame (3, maybe 4).

Also, it was definitely a cartridge game. I remember my cousin putting in the cartridge, turning on the machine, and the game popping up. I think the title screen had some red text.

- Gerry
03-23-2006 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: How old are you? (+3)  
Well that sounds very much like Gauntlet from 1985.
Especially the ghost and key references.

Plus everything was mostly brown :P
03-23-2006 at 01:17 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Well that sounds very much like Gauntlet from 1985.
Especially the ghost and key references.

Plus everything was mostly brown :P
"Blue delver needs food, badly..." *g*

Yes, Gauntlet could fit the bill even though the ghosts were definitely killable.

np: Vladislav Delay - Part 02 (Naima: Live)

03-23-2006 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Food! You had to eat food regularly, or you died! I remember it looked like a meaty bone.

It certainly sounds like it could have been Gauntlet from the Wikipedia description (I think the game even had the narrator comments it mentions). Thank you, Syntax! However .. the screenshot from (and the description of) the XEGS version I found (on this page) doesn't even look remotely close to what I remember. I mean, the game actually had nice graphics and animations and such. Granted it's a long time since I played this thing, but I can't be that wrong, can I ? Maybe it was a clone ?

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 03-23-2006 06:25 PM]
03-23-2006 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
Wow, Gerry, that game sounds eerily familiar, but I can't remember what it's called. It also has some elements of "Haunted House" on the Atari 2600.

Tangentially, "Demon Stalkers" is a fun and interesting Gauntlet clone I played through on the Commodore 64, but it doesn't look anything like that.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-25-2006 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
*cough*
This is supposed to be an age thread.

-Insane
03-26-2006 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Insane wrote:
This is supposed to be an age thread.
True, but the poll has been outdated for more than two years. This old games discussion is the only activity this thread has had since September 2003. Also, there's two other age threads around, from 2006 even. So, all things considered, I don't feel particularly bad for assisting in the hijack of this thread. (Maybe it should be split, so that the age portion of it could rest in peace, but I don't think this forum has topic split functionality.).
mrimer wrote:
Wow, Gerry, that game sounds eerily familiar, but I can't remember what it's called. It also has some elements of "Haunted House" on the Atari 2600.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's seen this mysterious game :).

- Gerry
03-26-2006 at 02:23 PM
trick
I decided to be a good mod for once and post a new thread about this in the Electronic Games forum. We can now continue the old games discussion here! (Or watch the new topic get ignored. It should be entertaining either way.)

- Gerry
03-26-2006 at 03:36 PM
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
The Amiga game which Matt Crampy asked about is Mind Walker. It was one of the first games for the Amiga, and one of the strangest. Figuring out how to play it without a manual was quite a challenge; when we eventually got a legi^H^H^H^Hcopy which did have a manual, the official terminology was a bit of a let-down.

And this post is related to age: if I weren't 50, I would be too young to remember such things. When Ah were a lad, we 'ad 512Kb machines and thought that was luxury. Luxury!

04-03-2006 at 04:22 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
512k? Ee, you were lucky! We could only DREAM of 512k. We 'ad a ZX80 wi' only 1k of memory, AND we 'ad to build it ourselves. But we could run a power station wi' it, if it didn't wobble.
04-03-2006 at 08:45 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
The MOTD on my first computer: "Thou filthy manant! Liv'd I so many bygone days to see the worseth of felonies? Get thine hands off the computer o' thy lawful king Henry the Fifth (blessed he be), lest thou shouldst be smotten by his dreadèd hand!"

My computer really was that old. I kid you not.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 04-03-2006 12:19 PM]
04-03-2006 at 12:17 PM
trick
Computers really had MOTDs back then ? Did they make him say it every day when he woke up, or did you have to ask him for it ?

- Gerry
04-03-2006 at 01:46 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: How old are you? (+3)  
Don't be silly. Of course MOTDs existed back then! Have you ever wondered what MOTD stands for? Well, you know it is "Message of the Day", but doesn't that word sound odd?

MOTD actually meant "Monkish Office for Transcribing of Data". A few monks were busy writing down everything the computer said (in its own cryptic language), and presented the results to the user a couple minutes afterwards. If the monks were in a good mood, they would even say it aloud; text-to-speech was the pinnacle of technology back then, something that has been lost on the so-called modern computers.

These roots of input/output explain some of the characteristics of operating systems. See, that's why many commanders are not verbose by default. It took long enough to write down "rm *" in bold, shiny letters, so spending days writing all the notices, warnings and errors was not feasible. Pipes were also born in the days of yore: since you had several monks, each with different specialities, you would often appoint one particular monk to a specific task. "Hey, could you just print the first four lines, and then some more?" One monk would often create partial content, only for the next monk to improve on the thing (adding colour, say). In times of high monkish employment, you might have had the luxury of using a particular monk for your output purposes, thus giving birth to yet another common syntax tool. Alas, the origin of words like "awk" or "grep" has been lost to time.

Now you can imagine why compilations were truly an amazing feat back then, given how much output they tend to produce (and all the files that need to be written down by hand). If it takes a while in the reign of Elisabeth II, think about how things were back under Aethereld! Dumpcores were truly awesome, equivalent in power and drama to the mightiest of divine curses; they were second to none, and... Okay, you got me here: Usenet was an even fiercer beast than dumpcores, though one that deserves a book of its own.

I find it very sad that the stories of old are being forgotten now, lost in the tides of swelling change and neckbreaking programming.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 04-03-2006 02:48 PM]
04-03-2006 at 02:45 PM
miketo
Rank Points: 61
I used to work on a computer that used nothing but zeros and a unary operator. Programming that one was a challenge, I tell you. :D
04-14-2006 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Getting caught is the mother of invention. --Robert Byrne
I always thought Frank Zappa was the mother of invention.
04-14-2006 at 06:55 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
miketo wrote:
I used to work on a computer that used nothing but zeros and a unary operator. Programming that one was a challenge, I tell you. :D
As odd as that sounds, it reminded me of quantum computing. A computer that uses nothing but zeroes, ones, and boths, and only has "unary" operators (more generally mis-defined as an operator with the same number of outputs as inputs). And, programming those are definitely a challenge too.

++Adam H. Peterson
04-14-2006 at 07:40 PM
miketo
icon Re: How old are you? (+2)  
bandit1200 wrote:

Frank Zappa was the mother of Robert Byrne. :D
04-15-2006 at 06:10 AM
miketo
AlefBet wrote:
As odd as that sounds, it reminded me of quantum computing. A computer that uses nothing but zeroes, ones, and boths, and only has "unary" operators (more generally mis-defined as an operator with the same number of outputs as inputs). And, programming those are definitely a challenge too.

If I recall correctly, an early Intel Pentium 90 chip was pretty much the equivalent of a quantum computer, depending on the values you fed into it. Sometimes it added up, sometimes it didn't. Kind of like how my age gets fuzzier the older I get. :D
04-15-2006 at 06:16 AM
bandit1200
miketo wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Frank Zappa was the mother of Robert Byrne. :D

Or was it David Byrne?
04-15-2006 at 07:06 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Binary! you were lucky.
We had to use an old difference machine, which we had to power ourselves.
04-16-2006 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
........... and you tell that to the kids today, and they don't believe you!

04-17-2006 at 02:15 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
You know, that punchline is slightly spoiled by the fact that the next thing you read is "I'm Welsh".

"Oook!"
04-17-2006 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How old are you?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com