Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Name the game! (In which people vaguely recollect games of yore.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon Name the game! (+1)  
Some of us more rebellious types have been taking up a 3 year old hijacking of an age poll topic in the General forum, discussing old games we played once upon a time but don't remember the name of. Since concern was expressed over the aforementioned hijacking, and a dedicated topic would be nice to have anyway, I decided to go ahead and post this topic here so that others may actually find it and join in.

If there's a game that's been bugging you, a game you played sometime in the past but don't remember the name of, or maybe a game you do remember the name of but others don't, feel free to share your thoughts with the rest of the world in this thread!

But first, a short recap: (secreted for size)
Click here to view the secret text

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 03-26-2006 03:43 PM : secret history]
03-26-2006 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
icon Re: Name the game! (0)  
On the topic of old games
The first computer I was let loose on was a Commadore PET. It had a tape drive.
Now the coolest game you could play on the PET was a track down the guy who stole the treasure whilst travelling through time.
The map of where you were consisted of symbols like $ and #.
You couldn't control when you changed time or where you ended up when it happened.
It probably had either the word Treasure or Time in the title.
It was a two word title. And it wasn't Carmen Sandiago.
I'd love to track it down.
03-26-2006 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
I had an old game for the computer, it was a demo. It was a puzzle game along the lines of Chip's Challenge. Except you had to save a dog, I think it's name was Rover. There was lots of Robots, and mirrors and lasers.

Another game involed this kid in a football helmet, on mars, you had to fix his ship, and he shot stuff. I don't remember much else.
03-26-2006 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Name the game! (+1)  
Ezlo wrote:
I had an old game for the computer, it was a demo. It was a puzzle game along the lines of Chip's Challenge. Except you had to save a dog, I think it's name was Rover. There was lots of Robots, and mirrors and lasers.

Another game involed this kid in a football helmet, on mars, you had to fix his ship, and he shot stuff. I don't remember much else.

They would be 'Rescue Rover' and 'Commander Keen' respectively. Who could forget commander keen..

[edit - by the way, I didn't mean 'how could you forget commander keen', I was saying that more in a nostalgic sort of way :)]

[Last edited by TripleM at 03-27-2006 12:36 AM]
03-27-2006 at 12:02 AM
Ezlo
Well, I was five and my dad erased everything before getting a new computer. Thanks! I'll go look those games up.

EDIT: Rescue Rover is just as fun as I remember! But much easier, thanks!

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-27-2006 12:30 AM]
03-27-2006 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Commander Keen...
Finding the secret level in The Armageddon Machine (Keen 5) was quite an achievement :)

It's a shame they cancelled the last one.

03-27-2006 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Pinnacle wrote:
Commander Keen...
Finding the secret level in The Armageddon Machine (Keen 5) was quite an achievement :)

It's a shame they cancelled the last one.

don't they always?
03-27-2006 at 03:07 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I actually have the iD Anthology of all of those old games (Legal, and full editions), and there is a total of seven Commander Keen games on there. Which game are you talking about that got canceled?

03-27-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay, okay..... The Rescue Rover request was real, the Commander Keen, wasn't, I'm a Commander Keen expert. I just wanted to see who would get it. :blush Won't happen again, sorry!

So, the story of the seventh episode: The Universe is Toast.

The game Gamer Extreme is talking about is Keen Dreams, a game that was originally going to be Keen 4, but got canceled. Now it's in the lonely world of slightly-legal games. No one is quite sure whether it is legal or not.

Now, The Universe is Toast. ID had an idea that would've made it one of the most popular games of all time had it been implemented. They came up with an idea of camera that panned behind you as you walked around in a 3D enviroment. This was two years before Mario 64 came out, so this would've been revolutionary, and made ID famous. But a sad thing happened, Apogee got bought out, and the new company didn't want any Keen games made any more. Plus, they got rid of most of the Keen dev team, and they will not give up the rights to Commander Keen either. It's a sad situation, but hopefully it will be rectified someday. In an interview with the creator of Billy Blaze, he said that the first level of Commander Keen 7: The Universe is Toast, would be sort of like a Galactic Zoo, it would've contained every monster from the past Keen games in 3D. Nothing else has ever been disclosed.

Again, sorry for testing you guys. I just wanted to see. Maybe we should turn this into a game to see who can figure it out! ;)
03-27-2006 at 03:37 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
I have a nagging mystery console game, but its one I've essentially never played. When I was a kid, I never had a video game console, but I was fascinated by a show on videogames. Players would compete in various NES games, but then there'd be a cartoon featuring Nintendo characters. It definitely had Mario and Kid Icarus, and Mother Brain (but I don't think it ever had Samus?). I'm curious about the name of this show, too, if anyone knows.

Anyway, it also had a barbarianish character seeking/(owning?) some sort of elemental sword. Sword of winds maybe. Not sure. Once I was over at a friends, and saw a game with this character. Here's what I remember about the game itself.

1. On NES.
2. 2d sidescrolling
3. Warrior/barbarian type character with a sword
4. I think it had a talking frog?

I know this isn't much to go on unless someone knows it based on the cartoon/show, but I've tried to seek it out from time to time, and never seem to find it, and I've just gotta know.

EDIT: After yet another search, (I've tried before), I think I actually figured this out, but I'll hold off on saying what it was and see if anyone gets it. All I'll say is its not what I expected and doesn't fit my memories of the game either, though it does fit the details I gave.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 03-27-2006 06:46 AM]
03-27-2006 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Sounds like.. (ok, so I just googled it..) Chrono Trigger? I mean, the talking frog gives it away ;);)
03-27-2006 at 06:54 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
TripleM wrote:
Sounds like.. (ok, so I just googled it..) Chrono Trigger? I mean, the talking frog gives it away ;);)

Heh. Chrono Trigger has a talking frog, but its not exactly a 2d sidescroller for the NES, is it? :P Its a top down SNES RPG.

Now I've actually verified what the game is, so I'll start dropping hints. ;-)

Hint 1:

Hint 2:

03-27-2006 at 08:09 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
The game Gamer Extreme is talking about is Keen Dreams, a game that was originally going to be Keen 4, but got canceled. Now it's in the lonely world of slightly-legal games. No one is quite sure whether it is legal or not.

Er, not quite. After the success of the first Commander Keen trilogy, id software quit from their previous locations to join together 'officially' (note that they didn't work for Apogee, Apogee was their publisher, and would remain so for a few years). However, they still had the legal obligation to SoftDisk to create one more game for them. Hence, they used the half-finished engine for Keen 4 to create Keen Dreams, sometimes known as Keen 3.5. The game is entirely legal, and still for sale in places such as here.

The one you're probably talking about as "unsure of legality" is in fact Commander Keen 6. Of course the game is quite legal, but the problem with it is that since the publisher has ceased operations, there is no longer a legal way to obtain that game.

This was two years before Mario 64 came out, so this would've been revolutionary, and made ID famous. But a sad thing happened, Apogee got bought out, and the new company didn't want any Keen games made any more.

That's also incorrect, they were already famous at that point. What happened at first is that they were taken up with other projects, most importantly Wolfenstein and Doom (which made them rather more famous). At a later point when the Third Keen Trilogy was discussed, it turned out that the people who wanted to make it (John Romero, among others) were no longer affiliated with the people who owned the rights (id software). Apogee has nothing to do with it. Nor did Apogee ever got bought out; they renamed themselves "3-D realms".

03-27-2006 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The people left at iD made it quite clear that Commander Keen wasn't coming back - they hanged him in one of their later games.

Which is sad. I'd like to see The Universe is Toast.

03-27-2006 at 02:03 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Gauntlet was a very popular game at the time, available on just about every system out (and firstly, in the arcades), so it's quite possible that you had a gauntlet clone..

p.s. Jerry, this thread is being hijacked by other peoples old games.. Shall we go back to the 'age' topic ? :lol

03-28-2006 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Who is this Jerry of which you speak ?*

Anyway, I don't see any hijacking happening here .. just more on-topic conversation. Which is nice.

- Gerry

* Fun fact: The reason my handle is 'trick' is directly related to the fact that I'm not named Jerry.
03-28-2006 at 04:53 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I think the joke was related to the fact this thread was separated from the original "how old are you" one ;)
03-28-2006 at 09:39 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Yeah, Gerry, Syntax got my crappy joke.. But apologies for the mis-spelling of your name... People do that with mine all the time too :blush

I don't get the "trick" reference though... Hmmmm

Anyway, back on topic... Some of the older games were real classics.. It's not because we are over nostalgic, or didn't expect too much in those days (well, ok, it is in SOME cases) but the thing is, without the ability for lots of audio and visual eye candy, people actually had to write decent gameplay

03-30-2006 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
I just have to mention LodeRunner here.
And Digger.

Both a whole load of fun, back in the days when stuff came only on 5 1/4" disks.
03-30-2006 at 03:20 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, if we're just mentioning random games, an obscure game that I have a very fond place in my heart for is The Dark Heart of Uukrul. A truly innovative RPG in so many ways. And The Magic Candle and its sequels were also very excellent. The Ultimas were still my favorites, but those are much more well known, of course.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 03-30-2006 04:40 AM]
03-30-2006 at 04:40 AM
TripleM
Donald Duck's Playground. Man, that was an awesome game.
03-30-2006 at 06:01 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Blast Corps for N64. So underappreciated.

03-30-2006 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
md5i
Rank Points: 109
Robot Odyssey. Greatest game of my childhood. Beating this game in high school helped make college digital logic a breeze.

Fortunately, there's been a port of this game to Java, so that anyone can play it: DroidQuest

03-30-2006 at 08:20 AM
Radiant
Mouse wrote:
And Digger.

FYI, there is a Windows remake of Digger, with an editor. That's good too because the game is unplayable on anything faster than 16 MHz :)

03-30-2006 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Blast Corps for N64. So underappreciated.

End rank in Blast Corps: You Can Stop Now.

That is all.
03-30-2006 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I loved Blast Corps as well. Either my cartridge or my N64 stopped working recently...I was so bummed. :(

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-31-2006 at 12:15 AM
Mouse
Radiant wrote:
Mouse wrote:
And Digger.

FYI, there is a Windows remake of Digger, with an editor. That's good too because the game is unplayable on anything faster than 16 MHz :)

Hey, really? Where do I find it?
I can get addicted all over again :)
03-31-2006 at 12:47 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Mouse wrote:
Radiant wrote:
Mouse wrote:
And Digger.

Hey, really? Where do I find it?
I can get addicted all over again :)

Erm... here...
Google search method: digger windows
03-31-2006 at 04:36 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The Incredible Machine was fun.
Quite difficult at some parts, so I never finished the whole game.

03-31-2006 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
TIM was a very original concept, I really liked it. If you enjoy that kind of game, you should check HOTU for a game named Marble Drop. It's cute.

03-31-2006 at 09:17 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Name the game! (In which people vaguely recollect games of yore.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com