Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (For those who have beaten the game, or those who wish to spoil/don't care.)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (0)  
So. I felt that this deserved an alternate thread than either the Wii awaiting one, or the Zelda Qs one. Because it is just that awesome of a game.

My current status: I have beaten the game, have all 20 hearts (made easy via the fortune teller, but I'm okay with that.), 41 Poes, one larger sized bomb bag, a giant quiver, and 21 golden bugs. I also beat the Cave of Ordeals.

What I liked:

The aiming system with the Wiimote is awesome. No two ways about it. It feels so neat to actually do that in a game. I wouldn't trade it for an old system, no matter what. I also liked how in wolf form, you could scare the people in Castle Town, and they might run towards you if you got in front of them. Also, the 3 girls outside of the STAR tent--hilarious.

What I was neutral about: The plot was sort of meh. They tried to throw too much mystery in (No, I'm the Twilight Princess!), and it didn't feel nearly as epic as Ocarina, nor (I hate to say it) did the cutscenes seem as visually appealing as Wind Waker. Also, there was flawless consistency, in that I thought Zelda had passed the Triforce of Wisdom to Midna, but then she's back at the end! Whole, and ready to become Ganon's puppet.

What I disliked: The swordplay should have been more one-to-one. I know it's probably tough to do...but it should have been there for more immersive gameplay. I also found a game-restarting glitch, which is not cool. In the Hidden village, if you go into the building that leads to the cucco, climb up onto the platform where a Bokoblin was shooting at you, and try to climb to the roof where the other one was shooting, then you become stuck--trying to slide both ways. Not cool. I also didn't like how they didn't keep the 2-person dungeons from Wind Waker (Makar and what's her face...you all should know.) I thought there was a perfect setup with the group of four that were in the bar. It would have been amazing, I think. Not that the dungeons were dull without them...I just like the 2-person puzzles a lot.

What I loved: The bosses. Oh man, some people may think that they're easy, but they're so much FUN for the most part. The only one I was sort of meh about was #5, Blizzeta, even though she had the coolest intro. Very intuitive, and very easy to beat, without any sort of fun factor.

I really loved Boss 4, Stallord. He was also easy, but I never had so much fun just fighting a boss before. The Spinner is way fun, and I wish there were more puzzles using it. It felt like Link was saying "You're nothing to me, but I'm just going to take my time destroying you". So cool and fun.

The dragon in Sky City also felt like that. Really fun just zipping around and then attacking. The "I'm dominating you, boss" music is really fun as well (When Link lands on the back of the dragon, for example.)

As for the final boss, there was a lot of confusion for me about how to beat Beast Ganon, but I finally figured it out. Very non-intuitive, though I should have expected to need some sort of wolf-form for the final.

Throughout the game, I felt a lot of Metroid references, as well as a God of War reference on the final form of Ganon. Not that this is bad, but I felt that Zelda should be more standalone than that. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, that's my sort of review of the game. It wasn't perfect, but it was still damn good, and worth the 15 hour wait.

And I'm still not done. :)

11-26-2006 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
icon Re: Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (0)  
I beat the game at 34 hours, with 19 hearts, the Cave finished all the way down to floor 30, 26 poes, all 24 golden bugs, the Magic Armor bought, three bomb bags, original quiver, all seven moves learned, the rollgoal game completed, and plenty of fish caught! I have to say I agree with most of Zex's comments, so I'll only mention the things that differ.

I really liked the extra moves that you obtained from the game, it added a bit of extra depth to swordfighting, although I felt that it was mean of them to require some of them in the final fight. (I don't think you win without the final blow.)

I only had one issue with the story: Zant. Originally he was this cool evil king who I thought was awesome. And I kept that feeling all the way up until the boss fight against him in dungeon 8. He is then revealed to be a pathetic mime who giggles too much and is way too easy, not at all like I imagined just from seeing his teeth during that cutscene. Plus, where was all the awesome magic he was using earlier in the game? All he did was blast tiny little purple blobs at you and change your location. Speaking of location, where was the Arbiter's Ground remake? That would've been fun to fight Zant like that. Incredibly disappointing. Tingle would've made for a better fight.

I was a little disappointed by the item usage. The items were awesome! But they were rarely used outside of the dungeons. I think I can count on one hand the number of places outside of the Arbiter's Grounds you used the spinner. And that was the best item as well! The only two items that were used the right amount were the Clawshot, and the Bow.

I really did like the new look for the Zora's. They look a bit more like the Rito now. Also the Gorons were nice and familiar. The Gerudo on the other hand, how could they die out within 100 years? And where in the world did the Occoa come from? :huh

And in all my playing I only found one glitch. In the City in the Sky. You know the room with the boss key with the fan below it? And remember the small shielded enemies below it? Well if you clawshot above the fan while it's spinning, and then clawshot one of the shields of the ground, it will fall just above the fan and just bounce on air. Fun to look at.

By the way Zex, you can use Link to shoot arrows at Beast Ganon to stun him, for at least half the time.

EDIT: I forgot, am I the only one addicted to Yeti Snowboarding? My current best time is 1:13, while collecting ALL the rupees.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 11-26-2006 01:37 AM]
11-26-2006 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Can you tell me the area of the bugs in the upper middle part of the bug screen? They're the only ones I'm currently missing. And what's the rollgoal game? I meant to say I had 3 bomb bags, and one size increase.

The final blow is a mandatory learned tactic. No escaping, so it's okay that it's used at the end. The one problem I had was that I tried to shield bash the orbs that Ganon Zelda threw at me, instead of swinging the sword.

But the new moves were quite fun, and made the *iron knuckles?* easier.

Yeah, they could have done a much cooler boss fight with Zant...and saved the exposition until after the fight. Maybe if they'd had an item in the twilight palace, it'd be a cooler fight. A combination of light arrow and dominion rod, or something.

I recall 4 times the spinner was used. 2 for pieces of heart, 1 for some rupees, and 1 place being City in the Sky.

I really think that there should have been more difference between the slingshot and the bow. I almost never used the slingshot after I got the bow, and that was kind of weird to have a useless item.

Renato always looked silly to me.

How do you know it's just 100 years? Also, if the Gerudo are all female...and their lone male was put away...they'd die out pretty quick, no?

I'll have to try that shield thing out--though I assume pre-seeing that it's actually floating on the blowing air, instead of nothing.

I knew about the arrows--it seemed obvious. What wasn't obvious was the wrestling. That took me...half an hour or so...and about 100 arrows before I figured it out. (And I'd tried earlier, but it didn't seem to work.)

As for Yeti Snowboarding...Eesh. I'm more addicted to the STAR game.

Edit: And I'm at 49 poes now.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 11-26-2006 02:47 AM]
11-26-2006 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
icon Re: Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (+1)  
Oooh. Those are the toughest to find. I believe you are looking for dayflies, and they are hidden in Gerudo Desert. The rollball game is in the fishing hut with Hena, you use the C button to look at a chair with it on. If you beat it all you get to use a frog lure. Have you found the sinking lure yet? It should be somewhere. Also, where do you get you're bomb bag upgraded? I can't find it.

No escaping? I thought you could skip all the wolf statues? Oh! Duh! The one in front of the Forest Temple!

I don't remember the spinner being used in City in the Sky, I do remember the Temple of Time though. The snail hiding in the Temple of Time was evil! That was the last one I had to find and it took me a while.

Umm... Renato?

From what I understand from OOT is that the Gerudo only have one male child at a time, and that when one dies the next one is born. How would the next Ganon be born then? Also, 100 years was given in an interview with Iwata.

It's more bouncing slightly above the fan.

I can't even finish the first STAR game! I figured out that the clawshot can help, but that doesn't really help. Doesn't really matter though. What do you win?

One more odd thing: Was the Skeleton you learned moves from Link from OOT? If so, that's confusing.
11-26-2006 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Thanks for the tip on the dayflies. I know it's them, because the Gerudo Desert is the one place I haven't found any.

I haven't found the sinking lure, but I haven't really been concentrating on the fishing things.

There are several places to get bomb bag upgrades. Basically, what I did is this:

1. Bought one from Barnes.
2. Traded in when I could buy water bombs.
3. Cleared out the rocks with bomb arrows for Iza.
4. Bought some Bomblings from Barnes.
5. Beat Iza's rafting game with 26 points.
6. Did something in Zora's Domain (not saying what--it's neat.)

The spinner made some bridges extend. No travel function, but a function nonetheless.

Renato the village shaman. I may be spelling the name rwong though...(typo intentional)

I thought that the male children were born once every 100 years. I've gotta check up on my lore there.

You get the bigger quivers from the STAR game. What I did for the first one is
Click here to view the secret text

There are various theories about the skeleton, that I know of. It may or may not be the OoT Link...and probably isn't. It's probably more like the knights in ALttP. Especially because OoT Link didn't know those moves.

What would make it REALLY confusing, is if in the next game, we play as the Link who turns into the Skeleton in TP, and travel to the future to learn the moves from TP's Link. Trippy timewarp stuff.

11-26-2006 at 03:29 AM
Ezlo
Heh heh, that last upgrade is fun! I found that one myself. :D

I think I had two favorite moments of the game, one was when I found a certain picture in Hena's fishing hut the evoked memories from OOT, and the other was when I said to myself: "Oh my god! I get to unfreeze Zora's Domain!" :lol
11-26-2006 at 03:34 AM
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
What I'm most worried about is all the horrible fanfiction that is going to spawn from this. :(

11-26-2006 at 12:04 PM
Ezlo
Fyer/Link Slashfiction! Hip-hip-hooray! O:-
11-26-2006 at 12:56 PM
Tombot
GAH! Don't make me think about it! :sweat

11-26-2006 at 01:19 PM
zex20913
Link/Midna, Zelda/Ganon, Zelda/Midna, Zant/Midna, Link/Ilia, Bo/Darbus...

I've already written 5 of these. :P

Kidding.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 11-26-2006 02:35 PM : stupid smiley]
11-26-2006 at 02:35 PM
zex20913
icon Re: Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (+1)  
Speed running! Current status: First level completed in just under 2 hours.

11-29-2006 at 12:39 AM
Ezlo
I'm going to start trying a speed run after I finish 100%. I still need about 20 more poes and 4 hearts. Are there poes in all the dungeons?
11-29-2006 at 02:53 AM
zex20913
I only found poes in level 4...the big ones.

There are a few (3 I think) in the Cave of Ordeals.

I'm missing 6, and I'm thinking they're in digging spots.

11-29-2006 at 03:39 AM
Ezlo
Yeah, I finished the Cave of Ordeals yesterday. I figured out I could kill a redead with one shot from my ball and chain. I kept using up two blue potions on the floor with the redeads, chu-chus, and arrow towers. Have you managed to catch the yellow chu-chu in a bottle yet? I want to know what it is.

I found a poe or two in dungeon 6, and one in dungeon 7, try looking there.
11-29-2006 at 03:46 AM
zex20913
That redead kill is a good one to know. I use the 6th tactic on them. It too is a one-shot kill.

The yellow chu is lantern oil. If you get a golden one (rare), it's like Great Fairy's Tears. Same effect.

I think I got all the poes as I was going through the dungeons, but I could be wrong. I was also thinking more just of the first 3, where I don't think there's any. At least, I hope there aren't. I don't really want to traverse through them on a wild ghost chase.

You do know that you can take out the archers on the towers before you jump down, right? I guess it's kind of moot now, but that's what I did. It made things a lot easier.

Edit: Oh, and to Goron Mines in under 3 hours.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 11-29-2006 04:24 AM]
11-29-2006 at 04:23 AM
Ezlo
Yeah, but if I mentioned the towers it would be easier to remember that floor. One thing that really surprised me about the rod of dominion, is that it's an instant mimic maker! Nintendo has been stealing from us! Sue them! Sue them!
11-29-2006 at 01:58 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
I beat the game at (what was it) 44 hours, with 16 hearts, 21 poes, all 23 golden bugs(missed 1, aaarg!), I also got the magic armor, a bomb bag, and all seven moves learned.

I still need to find more poes, 1 more bug, and some more hearts. Excuse me, I'm going to go play some more. (Despite what I said, I still think this game is quite addicting!) :D
11-29-2006 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Alas, we can't reap the Zelda cash. Not only is the dominion rod a portable mimic maker, the mimics come in at least 4 different varieties. DROD can only be said to (currently) have 2, and that's stretching it. Because decoys aren't mimics.

11-30-2006 at 12:16 AM
zex20913
Master Sword in about 5:45.

11-30-2006 at 01:45 AM
Tombot
Would you consider this game bieng shorter than any other versions?

11-30-2006 at 09:25 AM
zex20913
No. I did a "speed run" for Ocarina and Majora's Mask as well, and they took a decent amount of time, but Twilight is going to be longer.

And, my first time through, I took about 45 hours. That didn't happen for any other Zelda game.

11-30-2006 at 01:03 PM
Tombot
Good oh then.

11-30-2006 at 04:54 PM
Ezlo
Took me 37 for my first 100%.
11-30-2006 at 05:03 PM
Tombot
Not all in one sitting I hope.

11-30-2006 at 05:55 PM
zex20913
Ooh! Good idea! That'll be my next mission.

11-30-2006 at 06:04 PM
zex20913
Does anybody else always get the "It's a blue rupee!" dialogue the first time you pick one up after starting the game? And yellow too? Or do I have a strange and eerie copy?

12-03-2006 at 04:02 PM
Ezlo
Nope, everyone gets it. It's one of the more annoying features.

After playing the final bosses over and over and over, I have come to the conclusion that game has the best ending boss in any Zelda game I have played. Anyone else agree? Or disagree?
12-03-2006 at 04:58 PM
zex20913
The final boss is pretty cool, but I don't think anything compares to TLoZ: Link's Awakening for the game boy. That final boss is VERY tough to compete against, in my mind.

12-03-2006 at 05:20 PM
Ezlo
It certainly was hard, but this one makes up for it with superb music and atmosphere.
12-03-2006 at 05:21 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Yes. Definatly! This was the best Zelda boss I've fought! (Only I've only played Windwaker and The Oracle of Time).

The Windwaker boss was pretty good too, and then the Oracle's boss was pretty challenging, for me, too.
12-03-2006 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Zelda: TP Reactions--WITH SPOILERS. ONLY WARNING. (For those who have beaten the game, or those who wish to spoil/don't care.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com