Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Types of puzzles in rooms (A request for suggestions.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2486
IP: Logged
icon Types of puzzles in rooms (0)  
I have an idea knocking around my head for a hold, but it involves having some sets of rooms that all have the same sort of puzzle in them. My problem is that I am having difficulty thinking of enough different categories of puzzles.

The two I have come up with are 'hack and slash horde rooms' and 'monster manipulation puzzles'

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally the categories should be fairly general as I'd like to have a decent amount of rooms in each set.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-24-2006 02:08 AM]
11-24-2006 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
icon Re: Types of puzzles in rooms (+1)  
Puzzles were Beethro doesn't kill a thing, only Mimics. Puzzles involving trapdoors.
11-24-2006 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: Types of puzzles in rooms (+2)  
There's the classic orb puzzles, not too fun.
Strictly trapdoor puzzles, not too fun either.
Bomb mazes. Not too fun and a bit restricted to variations while at it unless you make it span several rooms or something. (then it becomes a sort of parity maze, possibly)

There's also sets of isolated golems in columns/rows, maybe ortho tiles, and bombs, forcing the player to spend just enough/less/more time at a certain row/column. A few holds have this.

There's the brained vs unbrained behavior fad recently... technically monster manipulation.

There's slayer manipulation, but turning it into an actual puzzle might be tricky. Tough to vary... technically monster manipulation.

There's that combination of golems, trapdoors, a few free tiles, and red doors... technically monster manipulation.

Halph puzzles are always nice.

Invisibility potions?

Forced orientation puzzles tend to be tricky, but it's been explored oh-so-often before.

On mimics: 2x4 tar blocks or its derivatives had been a favorite.
Synchronicity can also be done by using two orbs, each doing something you want and toggling something that you don't want to open for any moment.
11-24-2006 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Types of puzzles in rooms (+1)  
Or Tunnel Mazes? Scripting puzzels?
11-24-2006 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
icon Re: Types of puzzles in rooms (0)  
Scripting is a good idea, but I think it will already play a part in each set already.

Restricted movement is a category that could work. There are a number of different restrictions and methods of implementing them, so it should extend to the dozen or so rooms that I want without feeling repetitive.

Another idea that occured to me is timed rooms. Hmm...

Thanks for the suggestions!
11-25-2006 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Types of puzzles in rooms (0)  
Yes, and a subcategory of timed rooms is the timed tar (or mud) clearing room. Ice Blocks in Odd Jobs is an excelent example, or The Underground Civilisation 1W in The Guard Tunnel.

Then you have multiple mimic manipulations rooms...

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-25-2006 04:03 PM]
11-25-2006 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Types of puzzles in rooms (A request for suggestions.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com