Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sounds/music messed up? (Sounds like the sound went through a grater...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drgamer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 113
IP: Logged
icon Sounds/music messed up? (0)  
Is there a way to fix this?
(Yes, I unistalled/reinstalled...)
10-01-2006 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Sounds/music messed up? (0)  
Drgamer wrote:
Is there a way to fix this?
(Yes, I unistalled/reinstalled...)
In what way is it messed up, and which patch were/are you using?

Edit: and does the sound work fine when DROD is not running?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-01-2006 03:12 AM]
10-01-2006 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
I'm using the demo version from around the time that I signed up to the forums (Give or take a few days...)

I thought it was solved when it stopped the 'scratching' but it came back...
10-01-2006 at 03:12 AM
NiroZ
Ok, so up in the top upper right hand corner next to halph, do you have 2.0.14?

You might want to try out the 2.0.15 beta patch, but I suggest you backup all 4 dats(that are found in the data directory of drod) somewhere safe first.

EDIT: Oh, an please see edit above ^

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-01-2006 03:41 AM]
10-01-2006 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Alright, I can't figure out what's going wrong...

I just loaded it back up, and the sound works perfectly... again...

*after exiting and reloading it several times*
Staticy chanting...
:?
*after exiting and reloading several times, it's still staticy*
What on DROD is going on?

Is there a fix to this?
(It only seems to happen in the game)
10-01-2006 at 01:16 PM
NiroZ
icon Re: Sounds/music messed up? (+1)  
Drgamer wrote:
Alright, I can't figure out what's going wrong...

I just loaded it back up, and the sound works perfectly... again...

*after exiting and reloading it several times*
Staticy chanting...
:?
*after exiting and reloading several times, it's still staticy*
What on DROD is going on?

Is there a fix to this?
(It only seems to happen in the game)
I think that there are several possabilitys at the moment.
1. There is a truly weird sound bug in drod. The possibly fixes for this are downloading the 2.0.15 beta patch, and installing that.
2.There is an compatibilty problem between DROD and your sound card/faulty sound card.
3.There is a connection problem in your speaker setup, but if it only happens while playing DROD, its unlikey. You havent knocked,/changed/modified your computer recently?

10-01-2006 at 02:13 PM
Drgamer
Apparently it's something with my player data, because when I reimported it... it messed it up...

Of course that doesn't explain why it does that with other player files...

I guesss I'll try the patch...
Didn't work...

I'm going to uninstall the whole DROD folder, delete everything in the folder (Because apparently it didn't do that...) and then I'm going to go with a clean slate...

Good thing it happened before I got too far in the holds
10-01-2006 at 02:49 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Drgamer wrote:
Apparently it's something with my player data, because when I reimported it... it messed it up...

Of course that doesn't explain why it does that with other player files...

I guesss I'll try the patch...
Didn't work...

I'm going to uninstall the whole DROD folder, delete everything in the folder (Because apparently it didn't do that...) and then I'm going to go with a clean slate...

Good thing it happened before I got too far in the holds
It sounds like you have some sort of encoder/decoder/playback issue. Unless you have managed to scramble the .ogg files, which are the files containing the sound effects, DROD should play sounds properly.

Test to see if it is your sound card or speakers which are faulty by playing some music (like from a CD or mp3 file). Also, poor quality speakers may not be able to handle loud music or really high quality sound (I think that can cause music distortion by the speaker chopping bits off the sound). Also, DROD includes an .ogg decoder, which may not be compatible with your sound card, as NiroZ mentioned, and that might be the cause of the problem, but I don't think that's likely.

If you still are getting problems after a reinstall, note down when the problems occur, and if they always occur, or if it is intermittent. Also, check for a drod.err file in your /Data folder (you can view it with Notepad or some similar text editor). That may contain information on your problem if the file is present.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 10-02-2006 01:10 PM]
10-02-2006 at 01:09 PM
Drgamer
Thanks, but I reinstalled (Actually I installed the full version)...

It works perfectly... Like the demo before it up and messed up on me...
10-02-2006 at 01:30 PM
NiroZ
Drgamer wrote:
Thanks, but I reinstalled (Actually I installed the full version)...

It works perfectly... Like the demo before it up and messed up on me...
Maybe it was a weird bit of corruption somewhere.
10-02-2006 at 01:42 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Personally, I've also managed to get scratchy sound out of DROD; all I have to do is hibernate my Windows XP machine and resume it. From then on, the sound in DROD (no matter if it was already running or I started it after resuming) will be really scratchy.

Other programs like Foobar2000 don't exhibit any sound problems - Foobar just continues playing from where it was, with no distortion. So if I have DROD and Foobar2000 both playing music and I hibernate and resume my machine, DROD becomes a skip-a-rama and Foobar sounds perfectly fine, all on the same Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard.

In order to get good sound out of DROD without rebooting, I have to close all apps using the soundcard (including DROD) and disable/re-enable my soundcard in the device manager. That fixes it until next time.

Strange, huh?

10-02-2006 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Briareos wrote:
Personally, I've also managed to get scratchy sound out of DROD; all I have to do is hibernate my Windows XP machine and resume it. From then on, the sound in DROD (no matter if it was already running or I started it after resuming) will be really scratchy.

Other programs like Foobar2000 don't exhibit any sound problems - Foobar just continues playing from where it was, with no distortion. So if I have DROD and Foobar2000 both playing music and I hibernate and resume my machine, DROD becomes a skip-a-rama and Foobar sounds perfectly fine, all on the same Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard.

In order to get good sound out of DROD without rebooting, I have to close all apps using the soundcard (including DROD) and disable/re-enable my soundcard in the device manager. That fixes it until next time.

Strange, huh?
Yeah, that's really weird. I hibernate my WinXP machine regularly but I haven't run across this issue. It sounds like a low-level issue and not directly related to DROD. I don't have details of what the sound library (FMOD.dll) is doing under the hood, so I don't think there's anything DROD can do to fix it. Maybe googling or scanning FMOD's forum would find some mention of this problem.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-02-2006 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I get sound problems like this when I minimize and restore DROD. Every time I do this the sound gets worse - sometimes a lot worse, sometimes just a very little worse. Simply closing and restarting DROD fixes it every time. And also, sometimes when I keep playing for a while with the scratchy sound, it seems to eventually fix itself (I never notice it suddenly getting better, but after playing for a while I'll suddenly notice it's better again).

I've never tried hibernating with DROD open, so I couldn't say what happens when I try that. But again, this is probably another problem out of the scope of DROD's source. And besides - its really not a big deal.

10-02-2006 at 06:11 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I get sound problems like this when I minimize and restore DROD. Every time I do this the sound gets worse - sometimes a lot worse, sometimes just a very little worse. Simply closing and restarting DROD fixes it every time. And also, sometimes when I keep playing for a while with the scratchy sound, it seems to eventually fix itself (I never notice it suddenly getting better, but after playing for a while I'll suddenly notice it's better again).
I'm just being curious here, but what soundcard do you have?

np: Triosk - Visions IV (The Headlight Serenade)

10-02-2006 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Briareos wrote:
I'm just being curious here, but what soundcard do you have?
I'm not even sure - it's whatever came with my computer. I checked in Device Manager, and I can't find anything that I think would be a sound card (although I did find my video card!).

10-02-2006 at 10:41 PM
Drgamer
...And it's back...

Maybe DROD is angry because I didn't play it for a few days..
Only it fails in the fact because it makes me not want to play...
10-15-2006 at 12:51 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sounds/music messed up? (Sounds like the sound went through a grater...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com