Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Decorative Items (To enhance the atmoshere.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Decorative Items (+1)  
Here's some decorative ideas I have.

1. More of an outdoorsy tile set.
I know that DROD is mainly set inside, but occasionally you have the architect who wants to create a river or something, and it's almost impossible to make it. Plus, the Deep Spaces music sounds horrible as outdoors music. The only problem with the tile set I am currently using to get that effect, (Deep Spaces) is that it has no water. I really want water to be in TCB. I mean REALLY REALLY REALLY want it.

2. A cave tile set.
Sort of like the Volcano tile set, the ones we have now don't really make you feel like you're deep below the surface. I know Beethro is in a dungeon that was man-made. But is everything supposed to look man-made?

3. A dimmer switch for lighting.
This is being talked about in a seperate thread, but I'll mention it here as well. Darker rooms sometimes just look cooler, plus, if you were able to increase the brightness of roaches eyes along with this, it would be awesome! Along with this idea, adding torches to the obstacle wheel? It could cast shadows, and it's just something to spruce it up.

4. One or two more NPC's that are not blue-faced.
I mean, come on! I don't want almost everyone to be an Architect!

5. Cutscenes
I guess this is really a scripting request instead of a decorative request, but I want to be able to control where Beethro goes for a little bit, I don't want to have to create a complex series of orbs just to make sure that Beethro stays put while he is listening to a character. After the cutscene is over, it should let start moving from right when the cutscene stopped. Even if you're in the middle of a room.

6. Stairs that face sideways?
This just bugs me a little.

7. Rotating obstacles.
I wanna get that Emperor dude to point the other way! :~(

Will post if I remember the rest.
02-13-2006 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Decorative Items (0)  
Ezlo wrote:
Here's some decorative ideas I have.

1. More of an outdoorsy tile set.
I know that DROD is mainly set inside, but occasionally you have the architect who wants to create a river or something, and it's almost impossible to make it. Plus, the Deep Spaces music sounds horrible as outdoors music. The only problem with the tile set I am currently using to get that effect, (Deep Spaces) is that it has no water. I really want water to be in TCB. I mean REALLY REALLY REALLY want it.

2. A cave tile set.
Sort of like the Volcano tile set, the ones we have now don't really make you feel like you're deep below the surface. I know Beethro is in a dungeon that was man-made. But is everything supposed to look man-made?

3. A dimmer switch for lighting.
This is being talked about in a seperate thread, but I'll mention it here as well. Darker rooms sometimes just look cooler, plus, if you were able to increase the brightness of roaches eyes along with this, it would be awesome! Along with this idea, adding torches to the obstacle wheel? It could cast shadows, and it's just something to spruce it up.

4. One or two more NPC's that are not blue-faced.
I mean, come on! I don't want almost everyone to be an Architect!

5. Cutscenes
I guess this is really a scripting request instead of a decorative request, but I want to be able to control where Beethro goes for a little bit, I don't want to have to create a complex series of orbs just to make sure that Beethro stays put while he is listening to a character. After the cutscene is over, it should let start moving from right when the cutscene stopped. Even if you're in the middle of a room.

6. Stairs that face sideways?
This just bugs me a little.

7. Rotating obstacles.
I wanna get that Emperor dude to point the other way! :~(

Will post if I remember the rest.

Debunkification:

1-2: Custom tileset-integration has been confirmed for TCB. You can put your own tilesets into your holds for fun or show. (Hopefully 1 per level, as doing that for MetDROiD would rock)

3: Well, screens do normally have a brightness control... but graphics options would not be frowned on (by myself, anyway)

4: Concurs

5: Agreed

6: Indeed. Especially since if you know what you are doing, you can position stairs to give that impression. Strangely, if Beethro steps on them, he then moves in the direction that he would move if they were "proper" (use Copy-Paste)

7: It would require extra sprites. If you look at the way tilesets are handled, only a 3-D renderer could handle that. I think what we actually need is the ability to make more obstacles than the engine includes by default, as they are all the same object.
02-13-2006 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
How come you call it debunkification if agree to 5/7 of my post? :fun
02-13-2006 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
It would require extra sprites.

Actually, it /is/ possible to /mirror/ with a graphics engine, so sprites only have to face one way, and they're automagically drawn the other way when flipped: Secret of Evermore used an engine like that, back on the SNES days. I dunno about anything but mirroring, but.
02-13-2006 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mirroring would work well in a top-down 2D view, but not in DROD's fake isometric 3D view, since the shadows will be on the wrong side.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-13-2006 04:07 AM]
02-13-2006 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
A comment on item 4:
Custom character graphics, with avatars, as previously suggested by RoboBob3000, remain the most useful variant of this line of thinking.

02-13-2006 at 04:27 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Decorative Items (To enhance the atmoshere.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com