Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Riddle of the Bar Discussion (You must have solved the Riddle of the Bar to enter!)
<<78910
Page 11 of 17
12131415>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: Riddle of the Bar Discussion (0)  
Yes, we are agreeing.

I think. :)
10-26-2006 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Riddle of the Bar Discussion (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
[goodies]Hey, when did the screenshot change? Tiles weren't there before!

I'm reasonaby sure that the GA2 characters will be actual 'Characters' and the pictures in the threads are custom avatars.

F could be for flow, but I can't see how it could be characterised.
[/goodies]

[goodies]If I see the length of the marked out word, I don't think F could be Flow.[/goodies]

10-26-2006 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
[goodies]For those people who don't want to read the whole thread, Doom, me and eytanz discussed what we think the letters CFG stood for in page 2 of this thread...

Eytanz actually said we should rethink about "Citizen 3", and now it's in there ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if we got the F and G correctly...[/goodies]

10-26-2006 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tim wrote:
[goodies]For those people who don't want to read the whole thread, Doom, me and eytanz discussed what we think the letters CFG stood for in page 2 of this thread...

Eytanz actually said we should rethink about "Citizen 3", and now it's in there ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if we got the F and G correctly...[/goodies]

[goodies]I stand by what I wrote. Or, more accurately, what I wrote was 100% accurate for the time it was written in.[/goodies]

10-26-2006 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
[goodies] I just thought of an AWESOME idea you can do with custom characters! Now let's pretend you wanted to have, let's say a boat, in your custom quest, there's a way you can add that using characters! The walkable areas of the boat can be taken care of using custom flooring, and the walls of the boat can be made using custom characters! Just make a character with 8 tiles of the boat and place it where needed and turn invincibility on! Instant boat! Think of the possibilities you can go from there! You can make a river, or a windmill, or mountains, or a space shuttle! I'm going to start drawing custom stuff right away! [/goodies]
10-29-2006 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
[goodies] What I was thinking of before was remember when people wanted an escalator of something that objecs moved on, want you could do is just make a NPC look like an object and have it walk somewhere! :thumbsup [/goodies]

10-29-2006 at 08:35 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
[goodies]You ain't seen nothin' yet! I made a working versions of the Battleships logic puzzle in JtRH with a slight style modification.

Yes, mrimer, this is why[/goodies]

[Last edited by coppro at 10-29-2006 09:09 PM]
10-29-2006 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
[goodies]
I really hope I don't have to use custom characters as walls. Being able to make custom walls would be way better[/goodies]
10-29-2006 at 11:16 PM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
[goodies]Those shadows, those cursed shadows...
On that note, I still can't wait for multiple custom floor arts. I can't remember, are they in or out?[/goodies]
10-30-2006 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Click here to view the secret text

11-01-2006 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Niccus wrote:
[goodies]Those shadows, those cursed shadows...
On that note, I still can't wait for multiple custom floor arts. I can't remember, are they in or out?[/goodies]

Not sure that I understand that, but it seems to imply that
[goodies] instead of just using one photograph, as I did several times in my hold 'Seasons', we will be able to use several photographs in one room. Am I right? That would be excellent. I remember trying to use more than one photo and feeling a bit frustrated/cheated because I couldn't. Mind you, I have no idea what is required of the software for that to be possible, but it does seem like a wonderful idea.[/goodies]

Elfstone.

11-01-2006 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
You're understanding correctly.

I don't see any reason to hide this discussion as it has nothing to do with the bar. Basically, a feature request was made for multiple images in a room. IMO, It's pretty redundant, since you can achieve the same effect by just making one big image using photoshop or GIMP or even Paint that includes all the smaller images you want to use properly placed.

11-01-2006 at 06:15 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:

I don't see any reason to hide this discussion as it has nothing to do with the bar. Basically, a feature request was made for multiple images in a room. IMO, It's pretty redundant, since you can achieve the same effect by just making one big image using photoshop or GIMP or even Paint that includes all the smaller images you want to use properly placed.

Unless you want Image A in a small area in the upper left of a room, Image B in a small area in the lower left and the lower right of a room, and the standard DROD floor tiles elsewhere in the room. In which case you'd have to include the DROD floor tiles in your big image, which is (a) a pain in the patookie and (b) not especially allowed.
11-01-2006 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Tahnan wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Unless you want Image A in a small area in the upper left of a room, Image B in a small area in the lower left and the lower right of a room, and the standard DROD floor tiles elsewhere in the room. In which case you'd have to include the DROD floor tiles in your big image, which is (a) a pain in the patookie and (b) not especially allowed.
You only need to place image floor in the spots where you want special flooring. Everything else in the image can be white. (You'll also get smaller file size when you don't draw any nice pictures in the invisible area)
11-01-2006 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Tahnan wrote:
eytanz wrote:

There's no reason to place image tiles on the squares you don't want an image to show up in; and there's no problem with displaying non-continuous parts of an image. So your objection is groundless.

11-01-2006 at 07:11 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
eytanz wrote:
There's no reason to place image tiles on the squares you don't want an image to show up in; and there's no problem with displaying non-continuous parts of an image. So your objection is groundless.
Technically, there is, if you want to avoid the [gray] border around image floors. The only way to avoid that is to use image floor completely and everywhere in that room. However, allowing more than one image to be used in a room would be no help for this.
Tahnan wrote:
Unless you want Image A in a small area in the upper left of a room, Image B in a small area in the lower left and the lower right of a room, and the standard DROD floor tiles elsewhere in the room.
As Eytan and Doom have already mentioned, there's nothing that you can do with two room images that you can't do with one bigger one. Here's another trick for you: if this small area in the corners is one, two, four, or eight tiles high, you can actually put the vertical images right next to each other, one above the other, and take advantage of tiling to hit the corners properly. If not, you can pad them out to the next bigger power of two in height. With regard to width, as long as together they are not wider than 19, you can pad them into a 19-wide image and again take advantage of tiling. (And if they're each 1-wide, you can put them right next to each other.)

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-01-2006 09:48 PM]
11-01-2006 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Doom wrote:
You only need to place image floor in the spots where you want special flooring.

Oh! I think I see. (I've only used custom images once in a hold, so.) I had expected that, if you have an image, it would appear in each place you select "custom floor image", with the upper left corner of the image aligned to the upper left corner of the floor area. But I gather it's more like taking an entire picture, laying it under the floor of the room, and then "custom floor image" basically cuts a hole in the floor.

In that case, yes, never mind. :-)
11-01-2006 at 08:43 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Riddle of the Bar Discussion (+2)  
AlefBet wrote:
As Eytan and Doom have already mentioned, there's nothing that you can do with two room images that you can't do with one bigger one.
Actually, there is. You can save space.

Let's say you want most of a room tiled with a small repeating custom pattern except for a few squares where you want a different custom image. If you're limited to one image per room, you have to have one large image in stead of two small ones. Now let's say you want to do this for every room in the hold, but the different-looking squares are in different positions in each room (but otherwise identical). Now you have to have one large image for every room in the hold. If you could have multiple images per room, you could have shared the small repeating pattern and the different pattern between all the rooms.

~ Gerry

11-01-2006 at 09:24 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
trick wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
As Eytan and Doom have already mentioned, there's nothing that you can do with two room images that you can't do with one bigger one.
Actually, there is. You can save space.
I almost never include space-saving considerations in my evaluation of what feature would make what possible unless the difference is overwhelming or the usage scenario is compelling.
Let's say you want most of a room tiled with a small repeating custom pattern except for a few squares where you want a different custom image.
In my opinion, this type of thing should be handled with custom level themes (in concert with custom floor).

++Adam H. Peterson
11-01-2006 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, but for a custom theme you have to make your own everything. What if you want Caravel Walls and Objects to go along with your floor. I think you should be allowed to have multiple custom floors because it would save time, more than anything.
11-01-2006 at 10:42 PM
trick
AlefBet wrote:
I almost never include space-saving considerations in my evaluation of what feature would make what possible unless the difference is overwhelming or the usage scenario is compelling.
I admit the example was a tad contrived, but it was just meant to illustrate the point. In any case, this would result in smaller holds, which is nice for dial-up users, and also lower RAM usage by DROD when playing the hold, which might mean higher performance. One uncompressed room-sized image can take around 2.2 mb (32 bpp), and DROD doesn't decompress images on the fly (or didn't last time I checked), so they'll all be loaded at once if there's more.
In my opinion, this type of thing should be handled with custom level themes (in concert with custom floor).
Good point :). I still think multiple custom images per room would be a good thing, though.

~ Gerry
11-01-2006 at 10:46 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
trick wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
I admit the example was a tad contrived, but it was just meant to illustrate the point. In any case, this would result in smaller holds, which is nice for dial-up users, and also lower RAM usage by DROD when playing the hold, which might mean higher performance. One uncompressed room-sized image can take around 2.2 mb (32 bpp), and DROD doesn't decompress images on the fly (or didn't last time I checked), so they'll all be loaded at once if there's more.
I'm not sure what you mean regarding compression here, but DROD recognizes use of JPGs and PNGs for custom room images. A high-detail image at decent JPG quality filling an entire room area takes up <100kB.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-01-2006 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Ezlo wrote:
Yeah, but for a custom theme you have to make your own everything. What if you want Caravel Walls and Objects to go along with your floor. I think you should be allowed to have multiple custom floors because it would save time, more than anything.

I suspect that, with 99% certainty, you can do this in The City Beneath.

Oh, and read up on style-modding. You can mod only part of the style.
11-01-2006 at 11:26 PM
eytanz
coppro wrote:
Ezlo wrote:

What is "this" in that sentence? Custom themes? Or multiple custom floors?

11-01-2006 at 11:30 PM
coppro
icon Re: Riddle of the Bar Discussion (-1)  
eytanz wrote:
coppro wrote:
Ezlo wrote:

What is "this" in that sentence? Custom themes? Or multiple custom floors?

What he wants, that is, instead of Style1Floor.png, MyStyleFloor.png.
11-01-2006 at 11:49 PM
trick
mrimer wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean regarding compression here, but DROD recognizes use of JPGs and PNGs for custom room images. A high-detail image at decent JPG quality filling an entire room area takes up <100kB.
I know DROD stores images in their original compressed formats in the hold files and in the database, but I was talking about what happens when DROD wants to use the images. It has to decompress them first. However, I did some testing and found out that this is only a problem in the editor (adding a new image eats additional megabytes of RAM for each image!), and not while playing the game (entering a room with a full-screen custom image does eat ~2 mb, but images aren't cached like I for some reason thought they were (kinda stupid now that I think about it), so this goes away when you enter an image-less room). So, er, never mind about the RAM usage :blush. (Well, except in the editor..)

Anyway, another plus of multiple custom images per room that I didn't mention above is convenience, or ease of use. If an architect wants to move two custom images in a room relative to each other, he/she currently has to switch to an image editor, change the image there and save it, switch back to DROD, import and assign the new image, and delete the old one. Moving things around (maybe just to see how they would look) becomes a hassle.

With that, I think I'm out of arguments, so I'll shut up now :)

~ Gerry

11-02-2006 at 11:20 AM
Ezlo
[goodies] I've got an idea! To boost up the content that's in a Smitemaster Selection, Erik can add a few custom portraits or character sprites to each of them that you can use in your holds! I know I love Erik's artwork and don't think that anything I can make could be better. [/goodies]
11-06-2006 at 08:33 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
[goodies] That is indeed an incredible idea!! and if that would happen, we could request more images of custom images for TCB.[/goodies]

11-06-2006 at 09:23 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yay! I solved it! I don't even want to know how many did before me...
[goodies]Is this tag right?
And, can someone tell me where the red herrings are? I've found one of them and the real image[/goodies]

01-14-2007 at 03:18 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Riddle of the Bar Discussion (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
Yay! I solved it! I don't even want to know how many did before me...
[goodies]Is this tag right?
And, can someone tell me where the red herrings are? I've found one of them and the real image[/goodie]
kinda silly question your asking there, the people who can see it can't know, and vice versa.
:lol .

As for the 75 image, you don't need to discuss that in goodie tags.

I'll pm ya the the url for both red herrings.
01-14-2007 at 03:27 AM
<<78910
Page 11 of 17
12131415>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Riddle of the Bar Discussion (You must have solved the Riddle of the Bar to enter!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com