Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : JtRH on Penny Arcade
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Boogle
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon JtRH on Penny Arcade (+2)  
I like how they have been talking about indie games more lately. It just occured to me that they might be the largest site doing that. If Tycho realizes the genius of DROD he may mention it again in the days to come.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/1/2

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-04-2006 03:57 PM]
01-03-2006 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: JttRH on Penny Arcade (+2)  
It's hard not to respect Penny Arcade - I think, even though they're often very harsh at people who probably don't deserve it, that they understand where gaming needs to go. So they'll mention games tactically, when they feel that 'a game like this' needs to be known about, and they're not afraid to call bull when they feel it's required, even though it's unpopular. (Take Halo, for instance. The single-player level design was pretty bad past the one-third mark, and they called that. Similarly, they called out Rockstar for trying to weasel out of Hot Coffee. Then again, they also call out people who have grand ideas but haven't executed them, like Greg Costikystaninananan which I think is overly cynical.)

Their comics are good too.

01-03-2006 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Boogle
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: JttRH on Penny Arcade (+1)  
Absolutely, they went from rags to riches and they deserved it. I agree that they have a benevolent view towards the industry. And their rightious attacks are fun. Especially against easy targets like Electronic Arts.

I don't always agree with their views though, Halo is a good example. The repetitive architecture was bad but I think they drew too much atention away from Halo's important innovations. The quality of AI and physics really were unprecedented. And the timing was perfect, Halo's AI and physics backed up the xbox's "next-gen" claim. That's something embarassingly lacking from the Xbox 360's library of rehashes and ports.

But yes I do admire them for going against the grain sometimes. On that note, Costikyan has written some good articles hasn't he?

PS How funny that you inserted my favorite spelling error, do we share a favorite music site?
01-04-2006 at 10:26 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (+1)  
Just checking a few stats and...

There were 10,881 visitors from Penny Arcade from the last two days.

Damn.

It freaks me out a little that somebody can just say a few words about our game and cause the biggest traffic spike in Caravel's history. Gabe and Tycho have too much power.

-Erik

01-04-2006 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
It freaks me out a little that somebody can just say a few words about our game and cause the biggest traffic spike in Caravel's history. Gabe and Tycho have too much power.
And there I thought clicking the bar caused the most traffic... :P

Now where did I put that Slashdot story submission about JtRH being included in the next Linux kernel? :lol

That and it's dupes *will* fry the server. :stretcher

np: Alter Ego - Beat The Bush (Ewan Pearson's Slow NRG Edit) (Transphormed (Disc 2))

01-04-2006 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Gabe and Tycho have too much power.

A-yup. I'd be somewhat surprised if we managed to beat that spike.

01-05-2006 at 02:47 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Mattcrampy wrote:

Just wait till I become Imperator of Eurasia, then you will get all the attention you want. And spikes too, if you wish, coming with the yelling half-barbarians that carry them.
01-05-2006 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Unite all of Eurasia? Hah! Not even Alexander managed that, and he didn't have the UN or nuclear bombs to worry about. Or sniper rifles.

01-05-2006 at 01:54 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Alneyan wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

Just wait till I become Imperator of Eurasia, then you will get all the attention you want. And spikes too, if you wish, coming with the yelling half-barbarians that carry them.
Fine, but I get the Rooted Empire. With their resources you will be my puppet! And I can seize Erik & Matt's basement, too.
And Mattcrampy: That is why we study history, to avoid our past mistakes. Not that we make mistakes. Our goal is Empire, our means is Knowledge.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-05-2006 10:51 PM]
01-05-2006 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
But the problem is that I will control the Large Magnifying Glass of Space, and with it melt the polar ice caps, destroying the world and then genetically engineering it into The Eigth
01-05-2006 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Jatopian wrote:
Alneyan wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

Fine, but I get the Rooted Empire. With their resources you will be my puppet! And I can seize Erik & Matt's basement, too.
And Mattcrampy: That is why we study history, to avoid our past mistakes. Not that we make mistakes. Our goal is Empire, our means is Knowledge.
Indeed, guards are being deployed this very instant to protect the basement. I trust that you will be prepared for a visit from below; reports indicate that it is a messy and noisy business, and rumour has it that thugs may also be involved too.

01-05-2006 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I still think you're all underestimating the trouble sniper rifles will cause.

01-06-2006 at 03:50 AM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Mattcrampy wrote:
I still think you're all underestimating the trouble sniper rifles will cause.

Yeah, a weapon of choice for narrow, twisted corridors.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 01-06-2006 04:56 PM]
01-06-2006 at 04:55 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yup. That's why our guerilla war will take place from the Basement.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-06-2006 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (+2)  
Actually, recent statistics show that only 19% of narrow, twisted corridors choose sniper rifles as their weapon of choice. They prefer such classics as the assault rifle, and of course the long-standing favourite of narrow, twisted corridors, the Really Big Sword(tm).

[Last edited by Krishh at 01-06-2006 05:03 PM]
01-06-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I thought corridors couldn't hold swords. Usually they have such weapons as spike traps, arrow traps, acid traps, closing wall traps, and explosion traps. Now, I'd understand it if only 19% of people inside those corridors chose snipers, but I'm pretty sure that corridors prefer traps.
01-06-2006 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
All of this of course brings to mind why I love this forum. No matter what the topic (JtRH on Penny Arcade), we always manage to turn it into a joke. heh.

:lol :lol :lol
01-06-2006 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Chalks wrote:
All of this of course brings to mind why I love this forum. No matter what the topic (JtRH on Penny Arcade), we always manage to turn it into a joke. heh.

:lol :lol :lol

MY sword has no nose..........

01-07-2006 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
If I were stuck in a dungeon, I'd choose a pistol. And a metric asston of bullets, preferably in quick-reload clips. Shoot, swing to next roach, shoot. Bam, simple. And light enough that you can jump or move around the traps. Or trigger them from a distance (after all, 80% of traps are pressure plates, tripwires, or switches which can be triggered from a distance).

01-09-2006 at 04:58 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I think, if I were to have my choice of weapon in a twisty corridor (or indeed if I were a corridor) I'd choose some kind of huge metal sphere, which rolls forwards crushing all before it. *Much* less effort than anything else I've heard so far. I'd just stroll along behind it, stepping around the occasional smooshed dungeon roach.
01-09-2006 at 10:49 PM
Mattcrampy
I'd use a giant boulder, simply because then the people trapped in front of it would feel like Indiana Jones.

Except, of course, that they'd get smushed and Indiana Jones wouldn't. Like I'd build a twisty dungeon corridor and then give people a way out! Pshaw.

01-10-2006 at 07:21 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
Mattcrampy wrote:
Except, of course, that they'd get smushed and Indiana Jones wouldn't. Like I'd build a twisty dungeon corridor and then give people a way out! Pshaw.

This would work nicely, except by DROD rules, the room is required to be solvable.
01-13-2006 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
01-13-2006 at 07:25 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Banjooie wrote:
Indiana Jones, Schik, can't stop the rock
Schik?

01-13-2006 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645

Matt's avatar-changing ways confuse and anger me.
01-13-2006 at 07:56 PM
StuartK
Apollo 440 say the rock can't be stopped.

The Chemical Brothers, and Freestyle both politely request we don't stop the rock. I think we know which side they're on.

The defeatist Helix tell us we're never going to stop the rock.

So, if these people can't stop the rock, who can?
01-13-2006 at 08:05 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Can you feel what the Rock is rolling?!?!

01-14-2006 at 08:41 AM
Mattcrampy
Banjooie wrote:

Matt's avatar-changing ways confuse and anger me.

No, it's too obvious.

But anyways, I moved while the joke died, and I come back to find that Schik has no sense of humour! I mean, he could have at least grabbed my avatar for a bit.

For shame, Schik, for shame.

01-15-2006 at 06:48 AM
StuartK
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (+2)  
I think Schik has a sense of humour, and that sense of humour involves using his vast powers to toy with people who have the temerity to take him on, and then laughing evilly.

I could be wrong. :P
01-15-2006 at 04:08 PM
Mattcrampy
...mumblegrumbleseehowhelikesit....

01-15-2006 at 11:33 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : JtRH on Penny Arcade
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com