Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Truthbringers (0)  
techant wrote:
I am in. 'Survivor' DROD style? :-O

No... you missed that one.

11-07-2005 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jolima
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: The Truthbringers (+1)  
I'll unlurk to join in on this contest, and I'll take the chance to say thanks for a great game to those involved in making DROD while I'm at it. :yes

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. - Douglas Adams
11-07-2005 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ChrisB
Rank Points: 58
HopelessAmateur wrote:
ChrisB wrote:
How's this for a logic puzzle - what time is 12:00 a.m., is it noon or is it midnight?
You are right. 12:00 p.m. is midday and 12:00 a.m. is midnight.

Count me in for the contest. Can't do worse than last time. :thumbsup

No, sorry Hopeless - neither 12:00 a.m. nor 12:00 p.m. can be NOON as one is before and one is after, therefore both must be midnight; the only one that can be noon IS noon.

Braincell overload!!

11-07-2005 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Switch to 24-hour time, then. No problems! Wahey.

Edit: The date is an issue for me, though... Unless I pretend to actually use my brain, 11/08 reads as 11th august to me. Forum monkey, can we please have a date format option in the profile ? I'll give you another banana.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 11-07-2005 09:34 PM]
11-07-2005 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
I'm in.

[Last edited by Swivel at 02-14-2006 12:58 AM : Do not, I repeat, do not download this if your name doesn't start with D and end with ALI]
11-07-2005 at 09:50 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
ChrisB wrote:
No, sorry Hopeless - neither 12:00 a.m. nor 12:00 p.m. can be NOON as one is before and one is after, therefore both must be midnight; the only one that can be noon IS noon.

'Neither this dog nor this cat can be a wallaby, therefore both must be canines.'

I'm sorry, Chris, you fail.

Noon is the instant between 11:59:99 and 12:00:00.

Done. :D
11-07-2005 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I'm in. (if there's still time :) )

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-07-2005 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Django
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
I thought submitting a correct solution to the mini-puzzle was the only requirement to enter the contest. But now I find... oh well, no matter.

I'm IN like Frintu Bupkin.

- Django

11-07-2005 at 11:08 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
If you wanted to enter the contest, please be sure to post your intent here in this topic. Finding it in the e-mails sent is a little hard, especially when people don't include their forum name. I'm only going to use replies found in this topic for determining who is entered.

-Erik

11-07-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sarngate
Rank Points: 33
I'll try please! :~(

11-07-2005 at 11:42 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, here is my list of Truthbringers...

Alneyan
Banjooie
bdwing
Brainy
Chalks
ClaytonW
Django
Doom
eytanz
forrestfire
HopelessAmateur
Jatopian
Jolima
KevG
kie
krammer
Krishh
leroy00
Mattcrampy
Maurog
MeckMeck GRE
Nillo
Rabscuttle
robin
RoboBob3000
RuAdam
Sarngate
Schep
Someone Else
stigant
Svante
Swivel
techant
The Red Hawk
The Spitemaster
Tim
TripleM
Vylycyn
Watcher
Zaubberer
zex20913
Znirk
zZah

ChrisB, you said you couldn't play until beginning of December. Unfortunately, the contest may be over by then or close to over. I didn't add you to the list, because having inactive players in the game will make it less fun. This was one reason why I insisted people solve the Dinner puzzle to enter--to avoid having too many inactive players. Bad luck, man!

The contest will begin sometime tomorrow. If you've sent a solution to the first puzzle, but didn't post here to say you'd be entering, then sorry... it's too late. I did say up at the top that people should reply in this topic, although I admit I probably wasn't blatant enough about it. We've already got a huge number of participants, and I want to get the contest started. I'll be putting together the game tonight based on the current list of participants.

A few things you can do to get ready if you like...

1. Make sure you have either private messages or e-mail enabled for your account so that I can send you private information. I'll send to e-mail first, and failing that, use PM.

2. You might want to check out Watson's Map. If you play the demo a bit, it will help you learn some techniques that apply to this contest.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-08-2005 09:53 AM]
11-08-2005 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I said I was in all pirate style, and sent the correct infoes to ya, but I don't see my name on the list.

Just wanted to make sure I was in. (I'm Tim Miller, not Tim forum member.)

11-08-2005 at 02:59 AM
ErikH2000
Doh! Now you are on there. A little copy-and-paste mishap.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 03:05 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I really should check my mail more often :~(

11-08-2005 at 07:31 AM
HopelessAmateur
Rank Points: 177
Maurog wrote:
I really should check my mail more often :~(
Me too, I might have noticed this:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

contests@caravelgames.com

Luckily I'm in anyway.
11-08-2005 at 08:04 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
:angry

it seems to me like you don't want me in contests at any time.
(i remember the placement of me in the smite to death too...)
in my email for qualification i wrote that i want to participate the contest if i'm right. in the answer (not signed as automaticly reply) erik wrote:
Yep, you got it!

-Erik

and the spell about sign in via the forum was so late, that i read it even after the deadline.

i find this not so funny.....

:no

zaubberer
:wizard
11-08-2005 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
zaubberer wrote:
:angry

it seems to me like you don't want me in contests at any time.
(i remember the placement of me in the smite to death too...)
Please, don't think this. Particularly because you are new to contests I want you to be in them. There is nothing personal against you.

I received 57 e-mails from people giving me their solution for the dinner puzzle. Some people wanted just to have their solution verified and some people wanted to enter the contest. Most of the e-mail messages didn't have forum names in them. So I would have had to e-mail people back and ask them "Do you want to be in the contest? If so, what is your forum name?" I knew from the beginning this wasn't an efficient way to see who was going to enter, that's why in the very first message of this post it gives instructions for you to reply to this topic if you'd like to enter.

in my email for qualification i wrote that i want to participate the contest if i'm right. in the answer (not signed as automaticly reply) erik wrote:
Yep, you got it!
This meant you got the solution correct. I'm sorry that it was ambiguous.

There is a lot of work that I put into these contests, and it makes me feel bitter when you act like I've done you wrong or that I have something against you personally. Please just consider that I'm short on time and need to do things efficiently.

Okay, so I haven't actually gotten to the part where the participants need to be frozen. I'll add a few more people to the list...

Maurog
Zaubberer
Brainy

But now the list is really set in stone, because I'm going to do some more work next that depends on the number of players.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-08-2005 09:53 AM]
11-08-2005 at 09:18 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
trick wrote:
Edit: The date is an issue for me, though... Unless I pretend to actually use my brain, 11/08 reads as 11th august to me. Forum monkey, can we please have a date format option in the profile ? I'll give you another banana.

- Gerry

YES YES YES! A date in the proper format would be well appreciated ;)

11-08-2005 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
ErikH2000 wrote:
Please, don't think this. Particularly because you are new to contests I want you to be in them. There is nothing personal against you.

I received 57 e-mails from people giving me their solution for the dinner puzzle. Some people wanted just to have their solution verified and some people wanted to enter the contest. Most of the e-mail messages didn't have forum names in them. So I would have had to e-mail people back and ask them "Do you want to be in the contest? If so, what is your forum name?" I knew from the beginning this wasn't an efficient way to see who was going to enter, that's why in the very first message of this post it gives instructions for you to reply to this topic if you'd like to enter.

-Erik

i didn't mean in my posting for a 'personal dislike' against me :) simply my english isn't good enough to express nuances of feelings (or humor) sometimes. so thank you a lot for let me in! i think it should be said explicit in the call for next contests that joining must be declared in the forum.

another thing, about my forum name (for those who don't know because of language barrieres): zaubberer is the german translation for the wizzard rincewind by terry pratchett. and like the wizzard he has a sign for his incompetence in magic: the second b on his hat...
:rolleyes

so i'm at least happy to join the contest. hope you're all happy too!

zaubberer
:wizard
11-08-2005 at 10:10 AM
ErikH2000
zaubberer wrote:
i didn't mean in my posting for a 'personal dislike' against me :) simply my english isn't good enough to express nuances of feelings (or humor) sometimes. so thank you a lot for let me in!
Okay, sorry, I'm a little grumpy right now.
i think it should be said explicit in the call for next contests that joining must be declared in the forum.
You're right about that. I think more warning for the deadline would have been good too.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 10:40 AM
ErikH2000
Okay, I've sent private clues to all the Truthbringers. If you didn't get your 5 clues, just let me know.

The game has begun! Read updated rules at the top of the post.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:55 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!! :thumbsup

This is fun. :D
11-08-2005 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Can you tell us (approximately) how many clues there are? Or would that be too much information?

11-08-2005 at 01:48 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
You have all the data you need to figure that out yourself. :rolleyes

Okay. There is roughly one clue per investigator, since all clues are given to five different players, and each player has five clues .
11-08-2005 at 01:56 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
I think it could be quite helpful for all of us to at least have some idea about who knows what. Therefore I am listing the persons and places mentioned in my clues publicly, and I'd be happy if some others choose to do the same. It doesn't reveal all too much, I think.

Sorted by category and alphabetically/numerically, I know something about:
Office of Reprimands
Tunnel A
Tunnel B
Fourth Secretary
Eighth Secretary
Ninth Secretary
76th Archivist
Watcher
Whimspeaker
Steel Barrier

It does occur to me that many will be able to guess what duplicated clues I share. But at this point I consider the ability to verify somebody's truthfulness a good thing.

And as long as I'm posting, do feel free to request trades of information in PMs. I might not trust names I don't recognize, but especially in this first day, lots of honest trades seem like the way to go.

11-08-2005 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Um, are there any practical limits we should know about in regard to number of PMs that can be stored at once? Just wanted to check since it seems like this contest could easily put 50 to 100 PMs in someones box.
11-08-2005 at 03:04 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
KevG wrote:
Um, are there any practical limits we should know about in regard to number of PMs that can be stored at once? Just wanted to check since it seems like this contest could easily put 50 to 100 PMs in someones box.
You should basically be limited by (the server's) hard drive size - there's no artificial limit. So 50 or 100 PMs won't be a problem. :P

[Last edited by Schik at 11-08-2005 03:14 PM]
11-08-2005 at 03:14 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I have first hand information about:
5th Secretary
73, 74, 75, 77, and 78 Archivists
Patron
Wiervish Barrier
Office of Renaming and Complaint Dept
Tunnel F

I have 2nd+ hand knowlege of:
Tunnels A and B
Watcher, Negotiator, Dispatcher, Manipulator
Reprimands, Complaints, Storage Index Archives Depts
4th, 9th and 10th Secretary
Buresten Barrier
70th, 76th Archivist

11-08-2005 at 03:36 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I didnt' got my clues. :(

11-08-2005 at 06:14 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Holy crubble... I don't even know where to begin exactly.

I guess I'll try something odd, like I tend to do...

First person to PM me with the phrase "Roaches are for sissies!" and four of their truths and a lie,(not telling which is the lie) I'll give five truths.
11-08-2005 at 06:40 PM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com