Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W (0)  
Nothing I do allows me to get a victory demo for this room - I tried restoring to an earlier save and replaying the room from scratch, it doesn't help.

Built 2.0.10.

11-02-2005 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W (+1)  
Funny. I don't have a demo for that room myself, but it seems to work fine for other delvers (one of the latest demos was on October 29th).

As you recall, we had different results with using Restore under 2.0.10; could there be another fishy bug lying under the same stone?
11-02-2005 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W (0)  
Well, I think this is actually the real bug - I looked back at the rooms where I thought I had problems and discovered that this was the only one where the problem really persists.

Just for 100% clarity, I should point out that this is not a caravelnet bug - it's not that the demos won't upload, but no demos are recorded in the first place.

11-02-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
eytanz wrote:
I looked back at the rooms where I thought I had problems and discovered that this was the only one where the problem really persists.
I'm having the same problem, except that DROD doesn't record demos for any rooms with no monsters (other than the Slayer). Playing a new game works, but when I restore, even to a room before the one I want to record a demo for, nothing happens.
I'm playing 2.0.10 under Windows XP.
11-03-2005 at 07:20 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
That's correct: rooms with only the Slayer in them don't count as rooms that need conquering, hence are excluded from victory demo recording and the highscore list.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-03-2005 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
oic.. but then why are there highscores for JtRH level 25 2W? I should also have said "except possibly the Slayer". There are many rooms in AE holds for which there are highscores, that I can't record demos for, e.g. any entrance room with no monsters.
11-03-2005 at 08:01 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You can only record demos for entrance rooms with no monsters the first time you get there, not on return visits. You can simulate the first time you get there by playing through the hold again (which I think always works) or by restoring to the beginning of that level (which doesn't always seem to work).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-03-2005 at 08:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Yes.. Just to be clear, the bug is this: If I restore to the start of a level (by clicking on 'level start') and there are no monsters (no Slayer, no character, nothing..JtRH and AE holds), no demo is recorded. The same happens with other monsterless rooms, whether I restore to the room itself or a room before it (so that the map shows I haven't been there yet). In both cases there are such rooms for which there are highscores on Caravelnet.

Not a big deal really. As far as I'm concerned these rooms shouldn't count (suppose I've put my foot in it now...). But there is a little bug, and it would be nice to tidy up those cases where everyone does a room in 3 moves, and then there's me bringing up the rear with my 257 (recorded with an earlier version of course) :blush
11-03-2005 at 09:30 AM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Interesting. I remember reading that this would be fixed for 2.0.9. I haven't yet bothered to try saving a demo for this room, though. I guess it turned out to be trickier than expected to fix the problem. I assume the demos in the high score list were recorded with an earlier version, correct?

-leroy

11-03-2005 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
mrimer wrote:
That's correct: rooms with only the Slayer in them don't count as rooms that need conquering, hence are excluded from victory demo recording and the highscore list.

So, if there was no monster in the room at all, then there would be a demo, but if there is only the slayer, there isn't? That makes no sense.

Note that everywhere else the game records a demo. If you enter a room and leave it, the game records a 1-turn demo, which made it necessary for Caravelnet to have a special exception for 1-turn demos. So I really don't understand why not treat this room consistently with rooms with no monsters in them at all.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-03-2005 12:52 PM]
11-03-2005 at 12:47 PM
eytanz
michthro wrote:
Yes.. Just to be clear, the bug is this: If I restore to the start of a level (by clicking on 'level start') and there are no monsters (no Slayer, no character, nothing..JtRH and AE holds), no demo is recorded. The same happens with other monsterless rooms, whether I restore to the room itself or a room before it (so that the map shows I haven't been there yet). In both cases there are such rooms for which there are highscores on Caravelnet.

Just to be clear that's not the bug. As mentioned, that was apparently fixed in 2.0.9; the bug is that rooms with just the slayer in them seem to work differently.

11-03-2005 at 12:47 PM
michthro
We seem to be talking about different bugs, eytanz. I'm having the problem I explained with version 2.0.10, so apparently the bug wasn't fixed.
11-03-2005 at 01:11 PM
eytanz
michthro wrote:
We seem to be talking about different bugs, eytanz. I'm having the problem I explained with version 2.0.10, so apparently the bug wasn't fixed.

We *are* talking about different bugs - there's another thread for the bug you describe. I started it believing I get the bug, but then I was convinced that I was wrong - but if you're still experiencing it, you should post there. But your previous post just confuses the issue, especially since Mike claimed that there was no bug, and then you make a post claiming to be a clarification which actually contains a totally different issue (not that I think you did it deliberately to confuse the issue, but still, you need to be careful about this sort of thing).

Note that it might be symptoms of the same bug. But the case at the moment is that I can get scores for monsterless rooms - and indeed, I have demos for all of them - except this one.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-03-2005 01:25 PM]
11-03-2005 at 01:23 PM
michthro
Sorry for the confusion everyone. It comes of being an old man not brought up on the Internet and so on and being a bit new to this sort of thing.
Anyway, I ran DROD in debug mode and restored to the start of JtRH L25 2W to try and see what's going on, and I found that IsCurrentRoomExplored() returns true, which doesn't make sense. Why exactly this happens I can't figure out, but there is a problem there.

[Last edited by michthro at 11-03-2005 04:54 PM]
11-03-2005 at 04:52 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W (+1)  
Try restoring to a point where the room is unexplored, then enter and conquer the room on your first try without restarting or undoing any moves.

11-04-2005 at 12:06 AM
michthro
Stefan wrote:
Try restoring to a point where the room is unexplored, then enter and conquer the room on your first try without restarting or undoing any moves.
This works for me. Thanks Stefan. It works even if I undo or restore to the checkpoint from the restore screen. So the bug comes in when pressing 'r' or restoring to the room start from the restore screen (for me anyway).
11-04-2005 at 08:21 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
I'm going to fix this for 2.0.11 so saved games recorded at the beginning of blank rooms should allow the player to restore to them and save a victory demo on room exit.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-04-2005 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
Is the Linux 2.0.10 patch ready yet? Is Linux still supported?

http://drod.net/forum/downloads.php still shows the 2.0.9 patch.

Chris.
11-04-2005 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Chris wrote:
Is the Linux 2.0.10 patch ready yet?
Unfortunately, no. Due to both some technical issues with the patcher and a long chain of events in my life that frankly starts bordering on the ridiculous, I haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry.
Is Linux still supported?
Yes.

- Gerry
11-05-2005 at 06:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Game won't record demo for JtRH level 25 2W
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com