Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Re: a quick rant (+1)  
agaricus5 wrote:
However, I don't really care that much. They're only rank points, after all, and I'll probably get another at some point to balance it.

I would also personally give you another one here and there, cancelling my own modding down, my sole goal being to play a bit on the numbers (shame you cannot do the same with *post* counts).

Oh, and I definitively agree about the questionability of it all.
01-07-2006 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: a quick rant (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Apologies for the self-quote, but that just happened to be my 1000th earned rank point!

Wahoo!
Did you remember that every roachling begings with 10 rank points? Or did you really win a total of 490 points from contests (and maybe other misc. stuff) instead of a nice round 500?

It may well be that you've got ten more to go.
Alneyan wrote:
You merely have 999 earned rank points now
:thumbsdown Well, at least Wesley can say he got his 1000th earned rank point twice! Surely that's something that doesn't happen too often!
01-07-2006 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Doom wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Apologies for the self-quote, but that just happened to be my 1000th earned rank point!

Wahoo!
Did you remember that every roachling begings with 10 rank points? Or did you really win a total of 490 points from contests (and maybe other misc. stuff) instead of a nice round 500?

It may well be that you've got ten more to go.
Alright. I concede. I think I've actually earned 265 (25+50+50+140) points from contests, and I started originally with 500 points (the pre-moderation members got as many points to start off with as the minimum number of posts at their level (Legendary Smitemasters got 1000)). So, technically I have only earned 735 points through the modding system.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 01-07-2006 05:03 PM]
01-07-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
agaricus5 wrote:
And my rant is about why you have to spoil it by using a negative mod for a questionable use. It is perhaps a boast, but I don't think I boast often, and I certainly haven't earned 1000 rank points before, which is why I feel it to be a bit special. Thus, I question your questionable humour on the basis of a strangely motivated motive.

</rant>

Naaaah, don't take it personally. I totally get his humour, and would laugh if it happened to me.

It's just a friendly nudge.... I mean, it's not like he took 100's from you.

I have the same gitty humour, though I don't use it much on here, as I'd be largely mis-understood :(

01-07-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
jamie wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
And my rant is about why you have to spoil it by using a negative mod for a questionable use. It is perhaps a boast, but I don't think I boast often, and I certainly haven't earned 1000 rank points before, which is why I feel it to be a bit special. Thus, I question your questionable humour on the basis of a strangely motivated motive.

</rant>

Naaaah, don't take it personally. I totally get his humour, and would laugh if it happened to me.

It's just a friendly nudge.... I mean, it's not like he took 100's from you.

I have the same gitty humour, though I don't use it much on here, as I'd be largely mis-understood :(
Yeah, the internet really does make it difficult to express yourself properly. That smilie in the post after "I shall rant now." was meant to indicate sarcasm in the sense that I have to rant about something in this thread (since that's what it's for), and I actually have something I can rant about if I want, so I'm doing it in the context of this thread without actually meaning it.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

<rant>Silly people on the internet. Why can't they read my emotions when I want them to? They're as clear as can be; I can read them, why can't they?</rant>

(Note: Just in case you weren't sure, I'm joking)

:P

01-07-2006 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
agaricus5 wrote:
Yeah, the internet really does make it difficult to express yourself properly. That smilie in the post after "I shall rant now." was meant to indicate sarcasm in the sense that I have to rant about something in this thread (since that's what it's for), and I actually have something I can rant about if I want, so I'm doing it in the context of this thread without actually meaning it.

Okay, I looked very carefully, reread the whole thing more than a few times, put on some eyeglasses, and so on. I still can't see any smilie at all in the death letter some kind of ninja with a funny accent just gave me. Does it mean that the hired assassin was more than sar... :unsure

I guess I should book a rant on this thread too, since I'm going to try my hand at installing Linux. Just watch as I wipe out all data on my computer, not because of any malicious intent coming from Linux, but a "critical error, please replace or patch user" thing.
01-07-2006 at 09:28 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I'm annoyed that

- I'm alone in on my flat for several weeks, again. Guess who has to take care of everything, water the plants, prepare food, clean the dishes, deal with paperwork.... ?
- The teacher of one of harder subjects on my studies sucks. We're learning InterProcess Communication using shared memory and semaphores. The only thing he prepared for lectures are some badly designed slides which make linux man pages look as clean and understandable as The Ten Commandments*. Only working code to back it up are three short programs with 0 lines of comment on average.
- A deadline. Again. And I barely understand the subject.
- My LCD monitor malfunctions.
- Power supply of my portable radio died while at work. This forced me to listen to usual pop crap like everyone else.
- I'm the only Linux user in my area, and have to figure everything out by myself.

* I actually looked it up to make my post more venomous.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 01-10-2006 10:22 PM]
01-10-2006 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Lets see....

I get really annoyed when people play unfair, it seems that no matter who I play against the rules mysteriously change in the middle of the game, several times. Once someone tried to make me believe that pawns could move two spaces forward whenever the wanted in chess. Needless to say, I wasn't fooled.

I really get annoyed people think that they know all and don't have to listen to stupid little people like you. I was doing an interesting survival lesson today and one of the situations we had to think ourselves out of involved being trapped in the woods in a car that couldn't run during a blizzard. My idea was to douse the sapre tire in gasoline and light it on fire. And one of the people I was working with told me that the fire would smell, and that it was a bad idea.

I really get annoyed when the friends that I have that are vegans try to "convert me." That's actually what they call it. "Converting." I have nothing against vegans, my mom was one once and that's all she would cook for us, it's just that this particular group is very, imposing, in their beliefs.

I really get annoyed when people won't allow me in philosophical discussion because I'm a Christian. I love a good debate, especialy when I lose, but most people won't even allow me in because I'm "narrow-minded."

I really get annoyed when people assume that just because I'm a fifteen-year-old boy, that I'm (1.) Girl-Crazy (2.) Illiterate (3.) Arrogant (4.) A slacker (5.) Aggressive.

I really get annoyed at fanboyism, whether it's for a game franchise, a book series, or an actor. They just really get on my nerves.

I really get annoyed when movies come out that are based on books. They are rarely any good, and they are most certainly unoriginal. I just saw the movie "Hoodwinked" It was one of the most complex plots I ever saw. It fit together so perfectly.

I really get annoyed when my church gets angry at me for reading books with Magic in it. My opinion is that as long as you understand that it's fiction, and that it will never happen, it's okay. There are a few obvious exceptions to this rule, but I don't have to mention them. One of my closest friends was finally allowed to borrow the books from me, but they changed their mind while she was in the middle of the sixth book. Then guess what, the give it back to me without even letting her know that they did! So, she was franticly searching for it for a week, hoping she didn't have to pay for a replacement. Finally they told her.

In that note, I'm really annoyed that just because one of my closest friends is female, they assume she's my "girlfriend." Then they get all confused when I try to explain that she is a friend who is a girl, and not a "girlfriend." They just don't seem to understand that you can have friendships with members of the opposite sex, not just "relationships."

I really hate it when people assume that just because I'm home-schooled means that I'm mentally disabled, or that I have no social life, and no friends. Notice how this is the only thing on my list which I hate.

Now to finish off my disscussion, I really dislike it when a headache makes you feel like your head will go like this: :blowup
01-22-2006 at 02:53 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I have nothing against vegetarians, generally because they've seperated into vegans, where all the nutters go, and vegetarians, who aren't usually nutters, and thus are good peoples.

01-22-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Ezlo wrote:
Lets see....

My idea was to douse the sapre tire in gasoline and light it on fire. And one of the people I was working with told me that the fire would smell, and that it was a bad idea.
Yeah, that would smell bad, so let's all freeze to death instead. :lol

I really get annoyed when people won't allow me in philosophical discussion because I'm a Christian. I love a good debate, especialy when I lose, but most people won't even allow me in because I'm "narrow-minded."
I know exactly what you mean. I'm a Christian myself, and have had this come up many times. I am very fortunate however, because I've found someone at my workplace who is *always* up for a good debate. Whenever we get slow at work, we start talking about various things, and go back and forth on different topics for hours. hehe, yay for company time!

I really get annoyed when people assume that just because I'm a fifteen-year-old boy, that I'm (1.) Girl-Crazy (2.) Illiterate (3.) Arrogant (4.) A slacker (5.) Aggressive.
I'm 19, male, and get the same thing. After I explain that I've read more than they have read in their entire life time (seriously), more motivated than ever, not anymore "girl-crazy" than the next guy (uh, that could be interpreted many ways), and not super agressive....they're left with just one impression: I'm arrogant. yeah, probably. I try to tone it down a tad though. ;)

I really get annoyed when movies come out that are based on books. They are rarely any good, and they are most certainly unoriginal. I just saw the movie "Hoodwinked" It was one of the most complex plots I ever saw. It fit together so perfectly.
Very few exceptions to that: Lord of the Rings (yes, I admit...huge fan). Princess Bride. Holes.

In that note, I'm really annoyed that just because one of my closest friends is female, they assume she's my "girlfriend." Then they get all confused when I try to explain that she is a friend who is a girl, and not a "girlfriend." They just don't seem to understand that you can have friendships with members of the opposite sex, not just "relationships."
hooray for today's society. *sarcasm*

I really hate it when people assume that just because I'm home-schooled means that I'm mentally disabled, or that I have no social life, and no friends. Notice how this is the only thing on my list which I hate.
HEY! I was homeschooled too! Went all the way k-12, and got accepted to Purdue University. Homeschooling is *awesome*.

I'm not sure how my post was a rant, but I guess I'll say this: I hate it when people post off topic, then acknowledge that they did so in such a way that no one can complain. Dangit!
01-22-2006 at 06:31 PM
Ezlo
Chalks wrote:
Very few exceptions to that: Lord of the Rings (yes, I admit...huge fan). Princess Bride. Holes.

Well, what do you know, the three book-based movies I like too. ;)

Whoops, now your annoyed at me for being off-topic, so uh.....

I get very annoyed when my favorite TV channels (History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, etc.) only show commercials for pills that "help your love life" because they assume that no kid in their right mind would watch those channels.
01-22-2006 at 07:26 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Ezlo wrote:
I get very annoyed when my favorite TV channels (History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, etc.) only show commercials for pills that "help your love life" because they assume that no kid in their right mind would watch those channels.
Um...if Animal Planet isn't kid-based, then I don't know what channel is. Perhaps it is more a function of the time of day the commercials are played at. In any case, most channels know the general demographics of their viewers, so I'd have to say that they would choose the advertising that is the most appropriate for the particular time or show. For example, Animal Precinct and the hospital one are much more adult-oriented than the funniest home videos one with the commentator who might actually be worse than Bob Saget...nah, that's not possible. But it's close!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-22-2006 at 07:37 PM
Ezlo
Yeah, I guess it's more History Channel than Animal Planet. And I like Matt! :-O
01-22-2006 at 08:03 PM
Chalks
Ezlo wrote:
Whoops, now your annoyed at me for being off-topic, so uh.....
I was actually refering to myself. for things like this post. :lol
01-22-2006 at 08:05 PM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
Ezlo wrote:
And I like Matt!

I like you too!

Oh wait, did you mean someone else?

01-22-2006 at 11:35 PM
Ezlo
Matt Gallant, the host of "Planet's Funniest Animals" the only show that I watch that isn't educational besides "The Apprentice." Both of them make me laugh.

BTW, I really get annoyed when my cat jumps on top of my Sega Genesis because it's warm, and thereby reseting the system. :lol
01-22-2006 at 11:43 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
It really annoys me when you're on the phone to someone and they ask you to spell something and then they don't *actually* listen to the spelling you give them.

I was spelling Alan to someone: "Alan, that's A for Alpha, L for Lion, A for Apple, N for Nut". They repeated back "I, L, L, I, N" then "I, L, I, N", then "I, L, E, N" then "A, L, L, E, N" before finally getting it right.

Grrrrr. Customer Service staff are not employed for their brains.

Oh, And I dislike the letter O while I'm in America. Most American's can't understand Kiwis when we say a long O. And the number 7 ends up 6 for some reason.
01-23-2006 at 07:11 PM
Mattcrampy
Well, that's because Kiwis say 'sucks' instead of 'six'.

You totally do (well, okay some of you do). I've been there. I've seen your lotteries.

01-23-2006 at 11:21 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Mattcrampy wrote:
Well, that's because Kiwis say 'sucks' instead of 'six'.

You totally do (well, okay some of you do). I've been there. I've seen your lotteries.

I viciously stick my tongue out at you... :ras
You Aussies say "sex" instead of "six" most of the time (but I think that's just 'cause you're preoccupied :) )

Back on topic:
I just realised I really dislike bring woken up a 4am by my cat either by
a) walking on me,
b) purring in my ear,
c) smoching my face,
d) patting my cheek to see if I'm awake yet,
or e) some combination of the above.
Just because she thinks it's time for cat food.
01-24-2006 at 12:50 AM
Chalks
Mouse wrote:
Back on topic:
I just realised I really dislike bring woken up a 4am by my cat either by
a) walking on me,
b) purring in my ear,
c) smoching my face,
d) patting my cheek to see if I'm awake yet,
or e) some combination of the above.
Just because she thinks it's time for cat food.
Does anyone else find it amusing that someone named "Mouse" said this?
01-24-2006 at 01:33 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon In related news... (+1)  
01-24-2006 at 08:46 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
STUPID CYCLISTS..

Disclaimer: I was 'brought up' a cyclist.. I admit I don't do much these days, but still, I'm defitenly not anti-cyclist.

Driving along a busy 4-lane road today at rush hour, and it was dark, and there was a cyclist riding along the road, whilst a specific cycle-path goes ALONGSIDE this road, just the otherside of the pavement (sidewalk)

Also, cyclists "changing lanes" on such a road... Cyclists AREN'T CARS. I'm not saying they shouldn't be on the roads, but some of them treat the road as if they are cars (except at traffic lights, where they think they are allowed through on red)

If I was riding along a busy road with no cycle lane, I'd stick to the side, and cross the road if need be... Not weave in and out like someone with a death-wish.

01-25-2006 at 06:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
ARGH!

I was so going to buy the DS this week...

-- Tim :( (waiting...)

01-26-2006 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Heh, yeah, I got the DS for Christmas. But I don't know that the smaller size is that much of a benefit. I mean, my hands do hurt after playing Mario Kart, mostly. I think a smaller DS would be worse, though, because it's mostly my wrists bending at odd angles than having trouble reaching the buttons. And they say they're going to make the screen brighter, but I thought that the current one was bright enough. It's not like the horrendous lighting that the original GBA had, which made the GBA SP such an improvement. It might be nice to have a slightly lighter DS, especially for those who want to put it in their pocket or something, and I guess the microphone is placed better, but other than that I don't see a reason to buy a whole new one just yet. Maybe if there are some other benefits that they haven't revealed yet.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2006 at 11:20 PM
Ezlo
Tim, when you get one, get Pheniox Wright: Ace Attorney. It is one of the best games ever!
01-27-2006 at 01:27 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I doubt anyone wants to hear my opinion on the matter, but here goes.

*clears throat*

I don't like it.

This is Nintendo's way of milking a product out to increase sales and popularity. Worse yet, there is no good reason to do it. DS sales are still leading PSP. Why would you do this, Nintendo? Why???

And yet, through all of this, I'll probably get it soon after release. Mine's got some wear on it, and I find that it seems much heavier than it should be. Plus, while Electric Blue looks cool, it's still very much a kiddie kolour.

01-27-2006 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
I really dislike the DS. I love the PSP. however, I believe there's a whole thread about it somewhere else.

I hate it when people mention something, then don't post links to it.

yes. I know.
01-27-2006 at 05:13 AM
Mattcrampy
This is Nintendo's way of milking a product out to increase sales and popularity. Worse yet, there is no good reason to do it. DS sales are still leading PSP. Why would you do this, Nintendo? Why???

I like to call it the iPod effect.

But I have heard people say, elsewhere, Joystiq and so forth, that they don't like how clunky the DS is. Admittedly, they haven't done a lot for that, but still, there's your target market.

01-27-2006 at 09:45 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I think the current DS look like a brick. So I am going to buy the new one when it arrives...

in six months time.

Nintendo doesn't really like Europe, so things will come out here much, much later. They even dared to release the Kart Pack with a grey DS!

Hopefully, the good DS games mentioned in another thread will arrive here before that time... So distributing those things here earlier won't help them a bit anyway.

-- Tim

01-27-2006 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tim wrote:
I think the current DS look like a brick. So I am going to buy the new one when it arrives...

in six months time.
*sings* Kooley Got a New Brick... :drunk

01-28-2006 at 12:44 AM
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com