Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: a quick rant (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Cheese is wonderful even though I am probably not "obsessive". My favorite place for cheese is England, because there's this huge selection of mild cheeses to choose from. Here it's like cheddar, colby, few others. There it's red leicester, stinky bishop, worcestorfordshire, brimleytonshonwhatever, and so on, and so on. And it all tastes good on a sandwich. Mmmmm.... cheese...
That's an interesting comment, but it's actually debatable (as with many other things) whether the choices you can actually get are as varied as that.

From my experience, you are far more likely to get popular cheeses, like cheddar, for example, than obscure or uncommon varieties in the main supermarkets. Some (especially the larger ones) do, I believe, have a dedicated counter for cheeses, but the varieties on offer tend to be more foreign than English. Of course, that's not to say that obscure English cheeses are not accessible; you'd just need to search a bit harder to find them.

Also, there are quite a few varieties of pretty strong cheese around, as well as some that are available in quite a few strengths (I guess it's something to do with exactly how long the cheese is left to mature, where it's left, and what it's been inoculated (cynically, infected) with). For example, I have seen something called "Vintage Mature Cheddar" which apparently is very strong, although I've never dared to verify it for myself (the smell alone is probably strong enough to allow it to be tasted at range).

Personally, I don't really like cheese that much. Small quantities of it are nice for a change, but I couldn't eat large amounts of it on a regular basis.

Edit: Forgot my "rant":

I guess one thing that irritates me is having to work with someone who is practiced at the art of credit stealing and (local) political manipulation. I really dislike it when I end up not being recognised for having done or contributed something to a project simply because someone else has managed to make it look like they did it, especially if in fact I'd been left to do all the work for them. What is even more irritating is if the person who is assessing the relative worth or contribution of whatever I've done fails to guess that I had something to do with it, and basically regards me as "useless" or "less worthy" than my colleague. Of course, I guess being a repeated victim of that has made me reasonably cynical, which I also dislike, but I suppose it's sort of necessary in some ways.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 10-13-2005 11:45 PM]
10-13-2005 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
icon Re: a quick rant (+1)  
This thread would be much, much shorter if we weren't all human beings.

Anyway, once I wrote the following paragraphs. They are my "Stupidity and the Internet" dogma.

First, let me state that there is no way to say what I'm going to say without ending with some sort of air of arrogance. But going on, I believe that those who are less knowledgable on a subject should accept their own lack of experience and wait until they learn more about a subject to dive into it. You see, learning how to use a computer is not like learning how to do anything else. This is because you CAN NOT learn how to use computers through ingenuous experience. That's right. Making a mistake on a computer, ESPECIALLY on the internet, can be devastating, causing hundreds of dollars of loss in equipment, resources, and irreplaceable personal files.

Those who make such mistakes are not just guilty of stupidity, but something inifinitely worse: ignorance. Dumbness can be cured if a dumb person truly mind wants to be knowledgeable, but purposeful ignorance should be looked down upon greatly.

When you accept a technology you also accept the ancillaries (extras that are required for the existance of the main thing) of that technology. Often those ancillaries are negative.

In plain English: if people think that technology like the internet is going to work on its own they're idiotically mistaken. The difference between those who are considered stupid and those who aren't is not knowledge. It, in my opinion, is a willingness to learn and accept the burden of the internet. And that's all! (Finally.)

Happy Responsible Surfing,
(Name Censored)
Swivel

It's not much of a rant. I should rewrite one day to incite the masses. Also, I took special care not to mention AOL: please, don't use AOL.

I also have a problem with people who date people they would never, ever marry. There are several derogetory terms here I could put but won't.

Another random thing I don't like is how every single detergent compares itself to the "Leading Brand" or "Brand X." Don't like that.

Also: when I'm looking up a Spanish translation for a word in a Spanish-English dictionary, and then I flip to the section in the alphabet where that Spanish word is and then discover that I was searching for the Spanish word in the English section, it annoys me greatly. The ignomity!

I also do not like excessive grammatical ignorance, it really is a pain. Punctuation should be used correctly I hate it when people dont use it correctly. Redundancies are bad. Redundancies are bad becuase they are not good.

Well, I'm vehemented out.

10-14-2005 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
Oh dear... There isn't much that I hate..

I'll have to think..

Errrm, middle-lane drivers! On a quiet 3 lane motorway, the idiots going slow, stuck in the middle lane. (you are meant to KEEP LEFT in the uk, and no-undertaking)

Oh, one that Erik reminded me of - Yes, people who blame others.. The "blame culture" - Sure there are VALID claims, but our TV is full of adverts "I was walking to work and slipped on some water that shouldn't have been there", or "I weigh 6000 pounds, and when I sat down in work, the chair collapsed" etc.
Those people, who the minute they leave their front door, they think everyone else is responsible for them, and the can sue them if something happens.

And, yeah, I hate 'slimey business people' - people who are false, and not honest, and will do really imoral things to get ahead.

Cruelty to people and animals.

People who justify eating meat because "animals were put on the earth for us to eat"

That's it for now.
I'm sure I'll think of more straight after I press "SEND" !

10-14-2005 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Vegetarians annoy me, as they have never been able to rationally explain their philosophy to me (please be first, jamie). My favorite quote on this is this conversation:
"vegetarians love the environment"
"How can you love the environment?! You keep eating all the ****ing plants!"
And while I am at it:
"**** censorship!"

10-14-2005 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Jatopian wrote:
Vegetarians annoy me, as they have never been able to rationally explain their philosophy to me (please be first, jamie).

Interestingly, I'm the exact opposite: I've never met a vegetarian who didn't have a reasonable reason for being one, not that I go around demanding to know why they're not eating meat from every vegetarian I know.

10-14-2005 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Things I can't stand after browsing this thread: Long ranting posts.

10-14-2005 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I can't stand people who recycle the same joke over and over :closedeyes

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-14-2005 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
mrimer wrote:
I can't stand people who recycle the same joke over and over :closedeyes
Oh, is that why you've been rather cold to me lately?

++Adam H. Peterson
10-14-2005 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Vegetarians annoy me, as they have never been able to rationally explain their philosophy to me (please be first, jamie).
Interestingly, I'm the exact opposite: I've never met a vegetarian who didn't have a reasonable reason for being one, not that I go around demanding to know why they're not eating meat from every vegetarian I know.
Obviously your definitions of "rational" or "reasonable" aren't the same. ;) I agree with Cramp...in general, vegetarians I know have quite rational reasons why they don't eat meat. In fact, my uncle was a vegetarian for most of his life...it got him out of the Vietnam draft because it was additional proof that he was a pacifist. He's not a vegetarian anymore, but...it wasn't just an excuse for him. Um...anyway...just because the vegetarians have rational reasons for eating the way they do, doesn't mean that I agree with them. I just appreciate and understand their point of view. And then I take another bite of wonderful medium rare steak. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-14-2005 03:44 AM]
10-14-2005 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Back to the teenager thing (only since there are more teenagers than adults that fit this next bit).

I can't stand (and feel sorry for) young women who have been raised by the standard and treated as if their bodies and pretty face are the key to getting what they want, and insist that if they show a little more, or rub up against you the right way, the world will fall in their lap. I spent much of my high-school days being the crying shoulder for female classmates that weren't appreciated enough. And it made me "hate" the guys who treated their girlfriends that way. Sometimes, the women are just as to blame as their abusers. Browse any personal ad site, and in most cases, the most attractive women's ads will contain words like "party, good time, fling, sexy, hot, etc." And the more homely women's ads will contain words like "romantic, fun-loving, shy, sweet... college..."

Of course, this doesn't apply to all beautiful women, there are plenty out there that have self-respect. Just not enough. I know I'm kinda jumping around, but... yeah.
10-14-2005 at 03:53 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
wow. I never truly realised how many things bothered me until after reading these posts :?. easily half of the things on here bother me as well. However, I've thought of a few more things that are somewhat annoying.

children under the age of 14 (or thereabouts) who date other children. They have no business becoming romanticaly involved at such a young age. Also, the parents who allow this bother me too.

I have to admit I'm guilty to the next thing: Not turning on your blinker when driving. Ok, so we all forget sometimes, but it is especially annoying at stop signs (when they pull out in front of me!).
10-14-2005 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Chalks wrote:
children under the age of 14 (or thereabouts) who date other children. They have no business becoming romanticaly involved at such a young age. Also, the parents who allow this bother me too.

Aww, there's nothing wrong with young love, unless they're sticky.

Actually, that sounds like a good general rule - there's nothing wrong with vegetarians, for example, unless they're sticky.

10-14-2005 at 05:17 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Chalks wrote:
I have to admit I'm guilty to the next thing: Not turning on your blinker when driving.
You forgot the corollary: Leaving your blinker on even though you've already completed your turn.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 10-14-2005 05:52 AM]
10-14-2005 at 05:51 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: a quick rant (+3)  
Jatopian wrote:

What?? I can't belive you've actually put any thought into the subject. If you have it's amazing that you can't see any valid arguments for being (at least partly) a vegitarian.

First of all it is a fact that the animals that provide us with meat is viewed as materialistic things rather than living creatures. Absolutely no cruelty is invalid if it leads to higher profit. The probably most striking example is the chickens. You bunch them up so tightly together that they would hack each other to death unless you already had destroyed their beaks. Then you let them live in an environment that never gets dark because they grow better if you fool ther system to belive it's daytime all the time and then you rarely clean away ther pee and try to feed them as much as possible. In short they live a life of total suffering (and the same is true for many other anymals that provides us with meat).

Why should we not be cruel to animals then? Well... For me simple empathy tells me that we shouldn't, but there is offcaurse other reasons as well. The most important is perhaps that animals behave a lot like we do when you hurt them. They scream, try to get away and panick. To see this behaviour and label it as okay because their only animals is to (in some sense) kill your own empathy. I think a person beeing cruel to animals is more likely to be a racist. He has (after all) already proven that he can rationalize and find reasons to ignore other living beeings suffering.

Another reason to be a vegitarian is simply that it's much more economical. Both for the environment and for us privatly. I don't know the figfures exactly but you need roughly ten times the energy and supply of water to produce meat compared to vegitarian food. And it also takes up more space to produce meat (after all you have to produce vegetables to feed them). Water is something that is beeing owerused in large parts of the world, and so is energy (especially in America). And there is also a lot of people starving in the world...

Well... This will have to be enough for now. I have to go to shool. I just hope my bad english doesn't stop me from beeing understood :?
10-14-2005 at 06:37 AM
Cascade
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
mrimer wrote:
Regarding hate... I don't understand what's wrong with hate in the strictest sense of the word. I can understand problems with racism, prejudice, etc... These are beliefs and/or choices, but hate is an emotion. There's nothing wrong with an emotion, per se. Emotions are merely symptoms of how you relate to the universe, based on your beliefs. Change your beliefs and your emotions will change. They might be irrational, but they may also be rational.

So I can't settle for the notion that hate is wrong. Or that love <or fill in another emotion> is good, for that matter. In my experience, "love" can cause just as many problems in the world as "hate". Rather, let's dig down to the reasons for the hate, or the love, etc., and maybe we can find something substantial to work with. But maybe one's emotions are grounded in reality and represent a point of view to be admired, rather than shunned.
The position I take (and one that is pretty much axiomatic in communication-critical scenarios, such as open relationships) is that Emotions and Feelings are allowed. Any Emotions, any Feelings. Because it's not what you think or feel. It's what you do about it. It's ok to want to go cave that guy's head in with a spade. Not like it's gonna help you to think "No, I'm bad for thinking that." But it's not ok to do it. This is also a viewpoint common to many counselling approaches - there, you're told to look out for the words "should" and "ought". "I should do this..." "I oughtn't to do that..."

Cas

10-14-2005 at 08:26 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
What canīt I stand...

I canīt stand people asking me 8 times the same question in order to force another answer

I canīt stand people who brag around with any small thing.

I canīt stand overkill-over-hyped things if those things arenīt even half that good. Ringtones of film music for example

I canīt stand ringtones or handy-extra crap in general. Itīs so overexpensive (up to 4,99/month).

I canīt stand people thinking "I am poor, so I vote for the communists (PDS/Die Linke)... they will make everything better...

10-14-2005 at 02:12 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I agree with lots of things said so far. That said, here are some of my main pet peeves, including some of those above I strongly agree with.

Yes, people who can't use punctuation/grammar correctly. Particularly apostrophes.

Yes, people who don't indicate, yes to people who drive really slowly in the middle (or worse, fast) lane. Similarly those who start moving about 20 seconds *after* the lights go green. learners are excepted, we all start somewhere.

Bus drivers! The kind who act as if they are doing you a great service letting you get on their bus, who zoom through lights on amber just before they go red again, who think just because they're bigger they have right of way...

People who won't listen to your point of view. I hate that, when someone argues something which is complete rubbish, and if you open your mouth to defend it, you are immediately shot down as being anti-whatever it is.

People of other colours who use racism as an excuse to be allowed anything. I mean, if you criticise them for any reason, they accuse you of racism. Even though their race is completely irrelevant to what you said.

People who think 95% is a fail. The sort who come out of an exam moaning they've done abysmally and then get the highest mark in the year. Relax, why won't you?

People who don't respect individual choice. That means if I don't want to go out because I have lots of work/want to sleep, I am entitled to do that. Similarly people who don't drink are entitled to do so.

I think I'll leave it there for now... ;)

"Oook!"
10-14-2005 at 03:34 PM
Chalks
Mattcrampy wrote:
Chalks wrote:

Actually, that sounds like a good general rule - there's nothing wrong with vegetarians, for example, unless they're sticky.

:blink That's slightly more disturbing than I was prepared to think about...... wow.

also, another thing that bothers me: Immaturaty. It really bothers me when I meet an adult who acts like a child for any reason. Shudder.

it also bothers me that I can't spell immaturaty... I probably should work on that.
10-14-2005 at 03:44 PM
ClaytonW
I can't stand people who respond to "What's that mean?" with "Look it up." :angry
10-14-2005 at 04:23 PM
Mattcrampy
ClaytonW wrote:
I can't stand people who respond to "What's that mean?" with "Look it up." :angry

How about those who respond to people who aren't sure of a spelling with "look it up"? O:-

10-14-2005 at 05:43 PM
ClaytonW
Mattcrampy wrote:
How about those who respond to people who aren't sure of a spelling with "look it up"? O:-

Well, that could just mean they don't know how to spell it either. If someone is using a word in their day-to-day speech, they should know what it means, and saying "look it up" is kinda cold. Then again, its cold to respond to a spelling question that way too, when you could easily say "I don't know."

Agreed. :)
10-14-2005 at 05:52 PM
Chalks
wait....look up the spelling of something? Are you insane!!??? That would take WAY to long. I mean, that's a whole 3 seconds out of my day!
10-14-2005 at 07:11 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Maddox had a very good rant(may be unsuitable for sensitive people) on the topic of vegetarians. Actually, what I hate the most are vegetarians who try to force these views on other people. Or, for that matter, people who feed me down their views on any other topic where I (and most of humanity, for that matter) won't change their views, like for example religion. I mean, what do they expect? For me to exclaim: "I have seen the light! Of course I never, in all my life, had the faintest idea that the meat I eat comes from animals, who were killed/the Bible has some vague predictions that could possibly be interpreted as having been fulfilled/communism could work in theory! Thank you, friend, for enlightening me! I realise why I have been completely wrong all my life!" It's just wasting my time and theirs.
10-14-2005 at 08:26 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
Vegetarians annoy me, as they have never been able to rationally explain their philosophy to me (please be first, jamie)

I never said I was vegetarian.

I said I dislike it when people say "animals were put here for us to eat" like they were designed as some kind of gift that humans are MEANT to exploit.

Although I'm not suggesting they are the same, it is this kind of attitude that allowed people to be racist, or to think slavery was justified...

It's the whole "I'm better than them, just.. because I am" attitude.

ANYWAY... I *am* vegetarian, but I wasn't going to start up such an emotive topic : I had the same view on "animals were put on this earth for us to eat" BEFORE I went vegetarian, 10 years ago.

Still, as you ask, I feel that Matt, Oneiromancer and Blondbeard have made better arguments than I could, but basically, I don't like to be involved in the suffering of animals.

Most of my friends eat meat. I used to until I was 25. I don't harp on at them, and they understand my reasons.

I've never actually met anyone who didn't UNDERSTAND why people don't want to be involved with animal killing before! :|

And as for Krishh who says that people shouldn't force their views on people.. like I said, most of my friends eat animals, and I did too until I was 25 (As an animal lover, I was fed up of being a hypocrite) but whilst I agree with you relating to religion and most things, why isn't it ok for people to complain at you for animal cruelty ?

Would you moan at someone who enjoyed eating fluffy kittens ?
Would you moan at countries who exploit cheap labour, or don't observe fundamental human rights ?

Why should you be able to shove your views down peoples throats?

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to on this subject, so won't be replying.. I will continue reading, but as this is a subject that no-one can persuade the other side of, I'm going to leave it here, before it gets worse than the Linux vs. Windows topics :-)

*big hippy hugs all around* (as I must be a hippy too! ;))

10-14-2005 at 10:22 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I am comfortably enjoying my place at the top of the food chain. I feel lucky to be there, but I don't feel it was given to me as a gift. If I had to kill animals myself to have something to eat, I'd do it. I'm glad I can pay other people to do it for me instead. If some other kind of animal showed up that was really good at hunting and eating me, I wouldn't hold it against him--I'd just try really hard not get eaten.

-Erik

10-14-2005 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
I've just seen this thread so I though I'd add my little rant.

-What I really don't like is the assumption that because I'm small & a woman, I'm weak and helpless. I may only be 5 foot (1.5m) but I'm not helpless.
-I also don't like that people assume that just because I don't work, I'm stupid or lazy. I don't work because the US government won't let me.

-I don't like people who are fixed in their views on a topic & won't hear any other point of view.
-Also don't like people who resort to name calling when discussing an issue they feel strongly about.
-And people who, once they know you have a different view, won't leave you alone until you see it their way.
-On a similar vein: don't like people who take an opposing point of view just to start an arguement.

-I really don't like people who won't take responsibility for their own actions. And people who take credit for what other people have done or sole credit for shared things.

-I don't like people who use their car horn to say goodbye to people (especially after 10pm)

-Oh, and I get mildy irritated by the American habit of ending sentences with "at" such as "Where do you go to school at?", "I don't know where that's at", etc.

On a lighter note:
-I really like the surprised looks I get when I ride my motorcycle. That's always very amusing. People see me in my leathers with my helmet in my hand and look twice.

That's all.
10-14-2005 at 11:24 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
-On a similar vein: don't like people who take an opposing point of view just to start an arguement.
I'd like to have an argument, please.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-14-2005 11:34 PM]
10-14-2005 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I hate radio advertisements that start off with a car horn honking or a siren sound. I heard one this morning on the way to the grocery store and was about to go for my brakes and see who I was cutting off before I realized it was actually some car lot having a used car sale on the radio. Sometimes I wonder how many fender-benders those ads have caused! :crazy :-O :angry

++Adam H. Peterson
10-14-2005 at 11:39 PM
Yellow_Mage
Mattcrampy wrote:

I don't know why I found that so hilarious. Man, that came out of no where...

I find how music, games, and art is getting less appealing or more terrible. I don't know if it my perception of all those things, but quality has been going down and down.

There have been lots of games that have been in the charts that totally unappealing to me after I played them. Damn you Dungeon Siege 2!!!

Music; sigh, no hot albums I usually try to get on day of release, since there is nothing I really want. I've just been hunting down all the old ones I want. And music companies have the gall to blame piracy? Maybe, but it doesn't excuse the lack of music.

With art, I've studies the old masters, and I love abstract art. Now I could poop on modern art (so called Brit Art, which is also referred as *cough* Art). About 50% isn't that great, but the rest makes up for it.

I hate fake people. The only people they are lying to are themselves.

I dislike Llamas. They spit at me. :(

And people who run at me with big swords. (Not a DROD reference.)

Click here to view the secret text

10-15-2005 at 01:59 AM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
jamie wrote:
And as for Krishh who says that people shouldn't force their views on people.. like I said, most of my friends eat animals, and I did too until I was 25 (As an animal lover, I was fed up of being a hypocrite) but whilst I agree with you relating to religion and most things, why isn't it ok for people to complain at you for animal cruelty ?

Would you moan at someone who enjoyed eating fluffy kittens ?
Would you moan at countries who exploit cheap labour, or don't observe fundamental human rights ?

Why should you be able to shove your views down peoples throats?

In the same order:
Read Maddox's rant. He's a far better ranter then I'll ever be, and raises very good points on animal cruelty. (and vegetarians supposed lack of it)

I would moan if said person forced me to eat kittens, or watch the slaughtering process, but if they really want to do it, let them. Western societies view on kittens taking its toll on me, I guess.
Human rights are a different thing entirely. The human species is different form animals in one fundamental way: I belong to it. And s do the people abusing human rights and cheap labor. Inspecies fighting, while popular in the animal kingdom too, should not be. (possible intelligent aliens would be a whole new can of worms though)

And I try not to enforce my views on the world on others. You can be a vegetarian if you want, but don't pretend you are so morally superior because of it.

[Last edited by Krishh at 10-15-2005 11:55 AM : whle]
10-15-2005 at 08:37 AM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com