Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Duplicity - Stop D/Ling, it doesn't work yet
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged

File: Duplicity.hold (5.8 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Duplicity - Stop D/Ling, it doesn't work yet (0)  
This is largely proof-of-concept, etc.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I have the inspiration to make an entire hold outta this nonsense, but I'd like to have some feedback in case I do and it turns out everyone hates the idea.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-06-2005 05:55 AM]
09-24-2005 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Duplicity (0)  
The stairs in the first room end the hold. Don't you hate when that happens? ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-24-2005 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
--I promised myself, like, /three times/, I was going to change that before I exported the hold.

Fixed now.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-24-2005 06:27 AM]
09-24-2005 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Anyway, continuing in the editor, the first room of the second level won't ever have the green door drop. After that, the rooms are pretty cool, although repetitive. I think the overall concept is great...but the specifics for each particular room could certainly be different. After a time it was just simpler to randomly move and then hit Undo.

I think it has a lot of potential if you want to follow up on it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-24-2005 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
The stairs in the entrance lead back to the entrance now :|
09-24-2005 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Did you mean the lefthand stairs along all the green doors, because that was intentional for a reason I can't quite remember.
09-24-2005 at 07:02 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Doom wrote:
The stairs in the entrance lead back to the entrance now :|
That is probably meant to simulate where Beethro entered, and how he might exit after winning.

09-24-2005 at 07:03 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Is there a way to even beat the first level? because i can't find one.

10-05-2005 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Um, where're you having trouble?

(I need to actually do things with this hold, I guess)

I've completed all the rooms a couple times to make sure they work, so...
10-05-2005 at 05:43 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
There are two stairs and the one i can get to doesn't lead out the other 1 i cant get 2
10-06-2005 at 12:13 AM
Banjooie
That would be primarily because there's only one level.
10-06-2005 at 02:04 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm not quite sure why this case is still unfixed. Maybe no-one explained it well enough yet... I'm saying the same thing I said in my previous post now.

- There are 2 levels. The first one is only an entrance room. There are 2 stairs in it.

- When you begin, the mimic enters the stairs on the right and drops the trapdoor so you have to enter the stairs on the left.

- The stairs on the left don't lead to the real level, but back to the entrance room again. I can't believe why this would be intentional, because it makes the hold not playable outside the editor.
10-06-2005 at 05:29 AM
Banjooie
The reason it's not fixed, Doom, is because I still haven't had a chance to poke at it.

Not because I don't believe there's a problem. I'm very well aware there's a problem with it! It's just that if I'm going to fix this issue, I might as well put actual content into the hold beyond one level, and if I'm going that route, I might as well take my time with it. I'll edit the first post to point out unbeatability and somesuch until such time as I actually get around to doing it.

Okay. The error is fixed. I'm not re-uploading the hold until I have at least another level to show for it, because the bloody thing is anyone-edit and I'm not wasting everyone's time.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-06-2005 06:02 AM]
10-06-2005 at 05:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Duplicity - Stop D/Ling, it doesn't work yet
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com