Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Another review on Out of Eight.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Another review on Out of Eight. (+2)  
There is this guy, James Allen, who has a blog of game reviews. He cranks these reviews out at a freakish pace, and does a really decent job writing them. When I came across his site, I asked him for a review of DROD, and BLAM! less than a week later, here it is:

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2005/09/drod-journey-to-rooted-hold-review.html

-Erik

09-19-2005 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Another review on Out of Eight. (+1)  
That's a very nice review! The only complaint I think I have is that when he says that with CaravelNet you can import user-made holds in-game, it somewhat insinuates that this is the only way you can do so. I think the Game Tunnel review had a similar comment which could be misleading to the average reader. Obviously we want people to buy CaravelNet, but we also don't want to turn people away by thinking that there is some basic functionality that isn't included with the game. Obviously just downloading the demo and looking around will remove that misconception so it's not such a big deal. The review was very neutral and opinions were qualified by the reviewer's experiences. I don't think we can really ask for more.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-19-2005 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Another review on Out of Eight. (0)  
Yeah, I thought he was really fair, and like Moritz (the GameTunnel reviewer), was responsible about playing the game long enough to get what it's about. It was a well-considered review that serves gameplayers first.

I agree that the availability of extra levels without CaravelNet would ideally be described in the review, but to me, it's not a very important ommission. I told James about this forum post, and he may read this and decide to correct the review.

-Erik

09-19-2005 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamesa
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Another review on Out of Eight. (+2)  
I made the slight correction concerning downloadable content to the review.
09-20-2005 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
If it hasn't been thought about already, an "in the press" page on the website containing either the reviews, or links to them may be a good idea. (*)

Don't forget to also archive each review in case it one day disappears!

(*) I'd have said "all the good reviews", but that would be superfluous !

09-23-2005 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Well, I thought about it for DROD.net at one point, but it seems more like the kind of thing that would be more fitting for Caravelgames.com. DROD.net is all about the love of the game rather than the advertising and selling of it. So yeah, nag Erik to do something like that for his site.

09-23-2005 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Erik, consider yourself nagged, as above :)

09-23-2005 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
/nagged
09-23-2005 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Well, I'm reluctant to start up something new to maintain. These days I'm really getting weighed down by all the little subprojects that take up 5 or 50 minutes a month on a recurring basis. And then when thinking about what is ideal for caravelgames.com, it isn't to add extra information to it. That site is oriented towards people that know nothing about the game and have the typical short attention span. Very little reading gets done over there--it is typically just front page -> screenshots -> download. And maybe a few sentences and bullet points get picked up along the way. In some places, I actually need to remove information to make that site more effective. What I am interested in doing on caravelgames.com is making use of good quotes from reviews, and I've recently done that.

Then one might consider having a list of reviews on DROD.net somewhere, but I don't personally want to do that either. There is an ego-stroking side of me that I'm trying to nail shut into a coffin. I figure if I post about a review here then it's interesting and encouraging news for some people. But when I catch myself rereading old reviews and putting them into what amounts to a trophy case, then I'm edging off into a self-indulgence. If somebody else wanted to make an index of reviews, that'd be cool, but I shouldn't do it. Kind of like Gandalf can't carry the Ring.

I didn't mean this to sound negative. I just wanted to explain myself completely.

-Erik

09-23-2005 at 07:07 PM
Banjooie
people put quotes from reviews by their games pretty often, Erik.
09-23-2005 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
ErikH2000 wrote:
Kind of like Gandalf can't carry the Ring.
I was with ya up till this point. I think Mike should speak for himself!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-23-2005 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
people put quotes from reviews by their games pretty often, Erik.
Banjooie, not sure what you mean here.

Are you saying that since people put quotes from reviews by their games, I should consider it too? If so, then I agree it's a good idea, and I've actually already done that.

Or are you saying that you think maybe I believe it is unique to put review quotes by games when in fact it isn't? No, it's not unique at all--I agree.

And I will come up with 10 more interpretations of your comment later and answer them all. As well as answer any potential replies to those comments before you even make them. :)

-Erik

09-23-2005 at 07:17 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Oneiromancer wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Kind of like Gandalf can't carry the Ring.
I was with ya up till this point. I think Mike should speak for himself! Game on,

Actually, I would side with Erik on that one. See, Gandalf already refused to take the Ring, so Mike has no say in the matter: all these events already happened a long while ago, so we are merely replaying now.

If Mike actively sought to disturb the expected course of action, he would create a temporal paradox of... Well, let's just say things would be even weirder than they are now. Perhaps time would protect itself by making the Ring go back to Frodo, therefore solving all problems, or perhaps our world would change overnight. Watch out!

Not that Middle Earth is waiting for my opinion, but I see nothing wrong with an index of reviews at DROD.net. At worst, it might have to be locked, lest Erik be the first digital Narcissus. Hmm...
09-23-2005 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
There was like explanation to that post but it disappeared somewhere INTO THE DEPTHS OF TIME AND SPACE.

Yeah. :O It'd be cool to do that, and I /think/ since you're an indie game developer, it's kosher for you to link to reviews and somesuch.

Like, /because/ you're indie, it's allowed. Or some such.
09-23-2005 at 07:37 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Aww...no Ring for me. :lamo

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-23-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Alneyan wrote:
I see nothing wrong with an index of reviews at DROD.net. At worst, it might have to be locked, lest Erik be the first digital Narcissus. Hmm...
I agree, but he would hardly be the first, what with weblogs and all...

09-23-2005 at 10:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Another review on Out of Eight.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com