Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon (Themed levels and various puzzles, increasing in difficulty)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.3/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.97
Author Name:Noah Tenney
Submitted By:NoahT
Hold Name:Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon
Theme:Themed levels and various puzzles, increasing in difficulty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:120
Number of Monsters:3866
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+5 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Nanfro Budkins First Dungeon.hold (55.4 KB)
Downloaded 2296 times.
License: Other
icon Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon  
Here's my first hold, which I started all the way back in the AE beta, finally completed! It contains many themed levels and one level of assorted puzzles, with the difficulty increasing as you go. There's also a surprise for everyone on the last level.

Hope everyone enjoys!

-Noah
08-30-2005 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon (+1)  
Overall, great hold!

Good room puzzles. Large hold progressing from easy to devilish, much like KDD.

In general I like the layout which is not confusing and usually allows access to several rooms. Unfortunately I am stuck on several fiendish rooms on the final level so I might be begging for hints soon to get to the final rooms. And another minor complaint (that I have with most holds) is more save points in useful spots would be nice.
09-15-2005 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Excellent hold, thumbs up :D Somewhat echoing what Larrymurk said, themed levels and a nice difficulty gradient make this hold very playable, and there are some well thought out and/or fiendish rooms towards the end. And the rooms that aren't fiendish are still fun efficiency tests :)

Considering the first version of this hold that I played way back, I was pleasantly surprised with how well this turned out. Some ideas are still obviously 'borrowed' (though from very good sources) but there are enough original rooms, and the presentation of the ones that aren't are good enough, that it doesn't really hurt the game. Just one or two of the less interesting of the rooms from your first draft still remain, e.g. L2:1S2E

One other small criticism - some of the scrolls were a little unnecessary e.g. warning: the next puzzle could be frustrating. Either make the room less frustrating (or add checkpoints) or repetitive, or have more confidence in your own design decisions... e.g. L7:1E, or the scroll in L8:2E referring to L8:3E

Oops, considering your comment regarding the games ending, this should have had secret tags
Click here to view the secret text

Anyway, congrats - I'll happily play the sequel when it arrives :)

[Last edited by StuartK at 09-21-2005 01:01 AM]
09-20-2005 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon (0)  
Alright, I know it might be kind of late to do something like this, but I'm thinking of updating my hold slightly. If I am to update the hold, the new version will have a couple of scrolls removed, the one-way passage room on Level 8 will be replaced with an invisibility potion/serpent puzzle, and the ending will be different, so the sequel excuse shouldn't be as cheesy. Think I should do it or leave the hold alone?

-Noah

My stuff:

11-04-2005 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
I know it's been over year now, but I've been a lot of work on this hold, even the addition of a new level. I'm thinking this updated version could be released as new hold, called Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon 1.5, but I'm sure whether or not that would be a better idea than replacing the current version. Which idea do think is better?

-Noah

My stuff:

12-03-2006 at 05:11 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
To be frank, I don't think either idea is especially good.

First off, you can't change the structure of a hold on Holds and update it. It won't work, and that's intentional. And changing existing rooms around for reasons other than to fix critical bugs is a no-no. It will ruin peoples' high scores that they've worked hard for.

On the other hand, if you release (or try to release...) 1.5 on Holds, and there's a lot of repetition from this version, that's not good either. As a player, I wouldn't want to slog through tons of rooms I've already seen, some maybe changed a bit, just to try to see a new level. And lots of repetition would be annoying for high scores.

I think the best option would be to make Nanfro Budkin's Second Dungeon with just new content.

12-03-2006 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Well the thing is, the new stuff is supposed to be part of the same hold, even though the original has already been official for over a year. Perhaps when I'm done with 1.5 I could PM it to you and then you could advise me on where to go from there. Just a thought.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 12-03-2006 10:24 AM]
12-03-2006 at 10:22 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
This is a good hold, I think you should leave it as it is. Just make the new hold start from the one-way door on level 8, and call it NB's First Dungeon Part 2.
12-04-2006 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just conquered this hold, after what seems like ages on Level 8.

Excellent puzzles throughout. Two rooms on Level 8 kicked my...umm, head in: 1E and 3E. The former because I'm bad at trapdoor puzzles, and the latter because I couldn't figure out how to proceed on this one. But now they're behind me.

I give this hold an 8 for fun, and 8 brains of difficulty.

If NoahT ever does get around to making Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon, Part 2, or any other hold, well, I'll definitely play it.

Josh

03-09-2007 at 08:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon (Themed levels and various puzzles, increasing in difficulty) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com