Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bad, bad, bad! queen
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Bad, bad, bad! queen (0)  
This here bad mother queen has killed a cute baby roach right after birth.

I am talking about the middle left roach queen. Unfortunately my camera wasn't quick enough to catch the killing itself (takes only thirty images/second), but notice how between the 29th and the 30th image, there are only three spawns, when there should also be one on her northern side?

On behalf of Groach the 28th, unjustly killed when a babe and unable to defend itself, I demand that this awful bug queen be eradicated!
08-17-2005 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Bad, bad, bad! queen (0)  
When queens move and spawn, they don't spawn on the square that they moved from.
08-17-2005 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Although it is possible for a queen to make 8 roaches in 1 spawn, or should be. I never tried it but I am thinking of a certain way. Can anyone find it?

[Last edited by rowrow at 08-17-2005 05:36 PM]
08-17-2005 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Rank Points: 333
rowrow wrote:
Although it is possible for a queen to make 8 in 1 turn, or should be. I never tried it but I am thinking of a certain way. Can anyone find it?

Probably lots of ways; here's one. While invisible, Beethro chases a queen onto a down-pointing force arrow from above. He moves away so she stays put and swings around below her. Assuming the arrow is surrounded by empty floor tiles, 8 roaches will spawn.

Edit: Or just start the queen on the down arrow and have Beethro enter from straight below her.

[Last edited by KevG at 08-17-2005 05:39 PM]
08-17-2005 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
That's indeed know information. (So, it was found before you asked ;))

For example, this room <from Bavato's Dungeon L9> includes roach queens that spawn 8 roaches at once. It might not be very easy to see in the picture, though. (You should be looking at some of the roach queens on the left side of the room..)

And yeah, this behaviour is intented and it's been used in several roach queen puzzles that I've seen.
08-17-2005 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
That was the only way that I thought of. Is it possible for a queen to start off on a force arrow? If so then if Beethro and the quuen are on the same collumn and the arrow is pointing to Beethro then that is another. But it is basically the same thing.

08-17-2005 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
rowrow wrote:
That was the only way that I thought of. Is it possible for a queen to start off on a force arrow?

Sure it is. Any monster can start off on a force arrow.

And I think nearly every hold that features queens features at queens that start on force arrows (normally not surrounded by empty spaces, though). Its one of the most common combinations.

08-17-2005 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Becoming uninvisible (visible? :)) on the spawn cycle should work as well, I think. Unless I've forgotten the order in which things happen.

Edit - nope, I got the order wrong. It would move after you become uninvisible, then spawn. There must be another way it could happen though, surely..

Edit again - nope, of course there is no other way. Nothing else happens between the queen moving and the queen spawning, so its only possible with the force arrow.

[Last edited by TripleM at 08-18-2005 12:55 AM]
08-17-2005 at 11:23 PM
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Well, sorry about that, didnt' know :O
08-18-2005 at 09:34 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
eytanz wrote:Any monster can start off on a force arrow.
I hate to pick nits, but... oh, who am I kidding, I love to pick nits. Serpents cannot.

09-03-2005 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Bad, bad, bad! queen (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
I hate to pick nits, but... oh, who am I kidding, I love to pick nits. Serpents cannot.
Actually, they can. There's a room in JtRH that proves that point.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-03-2005 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
AlefBet wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Actually, they can. There's a room in JtRH that proves that point.
Hmmm... I was referring to AE, in which I just tested this. Also, tar mothers and Beethro(s?) cannot start on force arrows.
Actually, the editor is very picky about where you can place Beethro...

09-04-2005 at 04:07 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Bad, bad, bad! queen (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Hmmm... I was referring to AE, in which I just tested this.
Yes. That's a new capability of JtRH.
Also, tar mothers and Beethro(s?) cannot start on force arrows.
It's true that Tar and Mud mothers can't start on force arrows. It's sort of an accident, though, because Tarstuff Mothers must be placed on Tarstuff and Tarstuff can't be on the same square as an arrow (or ortho square).

++Adam H. Peterson
09-04-2005 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bad, bad, bad! queen
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com