Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Orb solver program
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: Orb solver program (+1)  
No, JtRH actually has some sort of reward in that there is story, or the good feeling of 'Wow, I figured that out!'

What you have there is just utter stupidity. I'm sorry.
03-16-2007 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
No, the goal of holds (like many other things) is to entertain. JTRH is no exception, and it is because it is entertaining that it managed to get people to stick around these forums and buy so many copies that it remained profitable. Not that it doesn't have sore spots, but it is a very large hold and so some places that aren't as good, while bad, are understandable, whereas a sore spot in a shorter hold stands out a lot more. I remember a room that drove me nuts in MetDroid: Echoes, but fortunately there's so much more good stuff in that hold that it was worth it to finish (still need to finish the whole thing though >_>); I bet most people would say the same thing about JTRH. A much shorter hold with a similarly nasty room with similarly unobvious ways to lessen the pain, or with many simply not-fun rooms probably would get me to abandon it rather fast in favor of other, more fun holds.

What that looks like is a not-fun room. Too many of those and I'll find something that offers better quality.

[Last edited by BDR at 03-16-2007 10:32 PM]
03-16-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Orb solver program (0)  
BDR wrote:
No, the goal of holds (like many other things) is to entertain. JTRH is no exception, and it is because it is entertaining that it managed to get people to stick around these forums and buy so many copies that it remained profitable. Not that it doesn't have sore spots, but it is a very large hold and so some places that aren't as good, while bad, are understandable, whereas a sore spot in a shorter hold stands out a lot more. I remember a room that drove me nuts in MetDroid: Echoes, but fortunately there's so much more good stuff in that hold that it was worth it to finish (still need to finish the whole thing though >_>); I bet most people would say the same thing about JTRH. A much shorter hold with a similarly nasty room with similarly unobvious ways to lessen the pain, or with many simply not-fun rooms probably would get me to abandon it rather fast in favor of other, more fun holds.

What that looks like is a not-fun room. Too many of those and I'll find something that offers better quality.

I meant that with JtRH as a joke.
Really, the puzzle is MUCH easier then you think.
MUCH MUCH easier.

And the "trick" doesn't make it easier, it just makes it possible, really easy.

Click here to view the secret text

Also, I tried not making them too hard, and the masses actually enjoyed it.

Also, my masterwork, the hardest of them all, actually has a reward in a secret room behind it, plus it's optional.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 03-17-2007 10:26 AM]
03-17-2007 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Argh. That does not change the fact that what you have there is dumb to a massive, massive extent.

Having one single orb does not make it /better/.

Gah.
03-17-2007 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
Argh. That does not change the fact that what you have there is dumb to a massive, massive extent.

Having one single orb does not make it /better/.
I disagree. Many would have fun feeling superior when they realize that someone else wasted time randomly hitting orbs.
Also, Banjooie, why do you do /this/, when our forum has working italics, underlines, and bolds?

03-17-2007 at 10:03 PM
Banjooie
Jatopian wrote:
Also, Banjooie, why do you do /this/, when our forum has working italics, underlines, and bolds?

Because italic tags kicked me in the puppy once.

But seriously, it's more because I go to a lot of places that do not have such clever trickeries as italic tags, and changing my style of writing to include and exclude them is beyond my simplistic views of reality.

03-17-2007 at 10:22 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Nuntar wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Also, Banjooie, why do you do /this/?
Perhaps it's a phonemic transcription? ;)
Nah, that would be more like /ðɪs/, unless you talk funny. :)

03-17-2007 at 10:27 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Despite the "one orb" solution, many players may be frustrated. I don't know how long I played before I either discovered or remembered that you can click on orbs to see what they do. Where did that feature get explained? (Perhaps you want to add a reminder of it to your hold.)

I think it was playing the "Lights Out" game in (can't remember which hold...) that I first detected the pattern of the orbs, then discovered/remembered that very useful feature. Now it's about the first thing I do when I encounter a room with many orbs. Much easier than getting the scratch paper and drawing diagrams. Although that can still be helpful, I find.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 03-22-2007 04:57 AM]
03-22-2007 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
bflatjeff wrote:
Despite the "one orb" solution, many players may be frustrated. I don't know how long I played before I either discovered or remembered that you can click on orbs to see what they do. Where did that feature get explained? (Perhaps you want to add a reminder of it to your hold.)

You know, I added about fifty "hint" scrolls to that room, each one going further than the last, while the absolute last one tells you to watch the included demo :).

-Insane
03-22-2007 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Making people read 50 scrolls does not in any way make it better.

The trick here is just to not make a stupid room, and it is especially not to justify it by saying you totally have all these ways in which they can figure it out.
03-22-2007 at 04:21 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
bflatjeff wrote:
I think it was playing the "Lights Out" game in (can't remember which hold...) that I first detected the pattern of the orbs, then discovered/remembered that very useful feature.
BbJ

Claythro Tower.

03-22-2007 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Orb solver program
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com