Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra II (The obligatory sequel)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon SubTerra II (+2)  
Some people have probably heard this already, but there is a sequel to SubTerra in the making. It is basically the same concept only with a different set of objects. Roughly half of the ST1 objects are still there, and the other half are replaced with such things as
*Linked boxes (moving one moves them all)
*Gravity invertors and time stoppers
*A completely different teleportation system
*Electrical wires, circuits and logic gates
*A wizard, that conjures objects (specifiable per level)
*As your trusty sidekick, a dog that can follow, fetch, guard and swim
*And, as your nemesis, a scriptable enemy called the Mountain King

Anyway I'm just teasing you folks because this isn't finished yet - however, I would appreciate the help of a couple of level designers. If you're interested, please reply below. Since this is for the game's core level set, please only respond if you have some experience with puzzle design (for instance in SubTerra I, or in DROD/JTRH).

06-08-2005 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: SubTerra II (0)  
Are you going to post the beta link here? I saw it on the old Subterra board and tried it quickly out. People might want to try it out (especially to see the new features in action)

Are you going to do any graphical or other kind of improvements or will it be just a 'Subterra expansion set' with more levels and elements?
06-08-2005 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Darkmatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Can you please release another beta? I just can't seem to find a level idea in the old beta. Plus nothing about the Mountain King and such. It's taking a while to get a working GOOD level. XD
06-09-2005 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I think i will send up to 30 levels, but not less than 10.

Well i have ideas everywhere!

I made a ton of holds in JtRH but din't posted them yet, because they aren't complete and i need someone else to test them.

Thanks,
Jeff_ray

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-11-2005 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
How about linux support ?

I know some people who don't like installing windows just to play SubTerra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
06-11-2005 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Well, present SubTerra code does compile on a Linux machine, the only problem is that I don't have one at the moment.

06-14-2005 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Why don't you just download one of those "instant linux" CD's, and compile with that?

Or send your source code to me, and I will see what I can do. (Although Gerry (=trick) is much better in those stuff than I am. Yes, ask him instead ;))

06-14-2005 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jockmo42
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Sorry, but where do I find this download? jockmo wants it badly. :sweat

04-24-2006 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: SubTerra II (+1)  
Here is the relevant topic on Spiderweb Software Forums.
04-25-2006 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jockmo42
I think it's broken, the link on the spidweb board takes me to a redirect page to the crystal shard geocity. I think the page with the download got changed?

04-27-2006 at 06:24 AM
The Stew Boy
Works for me.
04-27-2006 at 11:59 AM
jockmo42
really? it doesn't work at all for me :weep

04-28-2006 at 01:02 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Link "works" for me too, but in fact, it's downloaded the error page (to see what I mean, open the 1K .exe file with a text editor).

This, the age of the link, and the fact that Radiant stated the code wasn't ready leads me to believe Sub2 isn't available yet.
04-29-2006 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jockmo42
why is everyone posting bugs then?

04-29-2006 at 02:54 AM
The Stew Boy
You're right, it doesn't work. It should be available, though. I've got a copy myself. Ask Radiant, he might put it up on a different link.
04-29-2006 at 04:13 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Okay, lessee now:

How do you get rid of the MK? Is there supposed to be a trigger of sorts? I understand that the "way out" tile makes him go, but how to send him away?

Sorcerers need more time delay after conjuration, or else if they conjure a falling object in front of them, they will be blocked by it (noticable in the tutorial, he just goes back and forth because he blocks himself).

I presume that you are still looking for portal and fuse block sprites.

Would I be correct in assuming that you need more decorative tiles? Seems to me that the MK could have a whole page dedicated to himself (or at least you could have something similar), and then another page to actual decorations.

I don't really like the lack of two-way portals - perhaps 3 portals are the "new" version, and 1 works like ST1?

08-09-2006 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant!
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
To get rid of the MK, put one of his destination triggers over his exit, and have him move there. Alternatively, he should leave when the player dies.

Good point about sorcerers.

I've actually found someone for those missing sprites but it may take awhile. If someone would want to draw decorative tiles, they'd be welcome.

09-03-2006 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra II (The obligatory sequel)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com