Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Room Mosaic Contest (Our competition for June)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
acrobat
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
IP: Logged
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (0)  
Doom wrote:
I found a room that differs only very slightly from the room in the picture. (Still, the difference can't be only about picture quality) Should I assume that the room has been modified after the picture taking and count it (as "one of the not possible to be any of the eight boguses") or ignore it as a different version of the room? (And therefore possibly one of the bogus rooms) Anyway, it's completely obvious that the picture shows at least one version of the room in question.

to be more specific, the change is that there are a couple stairs more in the current room than in the picture so it *could* be possible that the hold is updated to allow easier access or for a similar reason.

I have seen the same thing - rooms that differ from what's in the mosaic, but very slightly. At the same time, it's 100% obvious that the two pictures share a common ancestor. What is not clear is if

- the hold author edited his hold at some time in the past and I'm looking at a different revision

- someone liked the level from another hold and imported it to their level but modified it slightly

- it's a deliberate change and one of the rooms we should "find" for the contest.

I don't think the room I am looking at is the same one you are talking about, though, as the room I see is mostly filled with tar.
06-08-2005 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Thus is my one problem with this contest. A combination of jpeg artifacts, minor changes, and, well, we're largely playing a lottery. <_<;
06-08-2005 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acrobat
At the risk of giving some information away...

Click here to view the secret text

06-08-2005 at 08:48 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I finally got my guess off. I too am sure that Doom has beaten me to the punch. :smile

Or someone else, but I was driven to not just guess.:w00t

I really worked to elimate all the ones I could and narrowed it down to 10 last night and then 9 tonight. Just found the last one to elimate so now I have my 8. Wow my eyes hurt. :glasses

Happy Hunting

Amazing Contest Discription: PRIZES FOR EVERYONE!

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 12:25 PM]
06-08-2005 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
*sigh* I'm stupid. Too early sending isn't wise. I've found some kind of mistake with my results already but it's too late to correct it anymore. (Actually I really don't feel like using much more time with it anyway)

Btw, I don't see playing Drod a lot as a big advantage in this contest.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:06-08-2005 at 11:48 AM]
06-08-2005 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Doom wrote:
Btw, I don't see playing Drod a lot as a big advantage in this contest.
Well, it wasn't a big advantage, but it did help.

06-08-2005 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
yeah, I pretty much went 'I know what a few of these are, but I'm not spending hous checking every single room to check it off'.

Ah, well. You can win the lottery, so.
06-08-2005 at 08:30 PM
techant
Banjooie wrote:
yeah, I pretty much went 'I know what a few of these are, but I'm not spending hous checking every single room to check it off'.

Ah, well. You can win the lottery, so.
It came down to spending hours hunting and checking as well for me, too. I found that having played so many holds helped some because I knew that I had seen that room before, but remembering where it was, was the hard part. I think I look at each holds layout at least twice if not three times.

Still waiting to hear that my guess was received. :unsure Got an email so he got it O.K. :D

Doesn't looking at all those holds make you want to play?

[Edited by techant at Local Time:06-08-2005 at 09:42 PM: Added question]

[Edited by techant at Local Time:06-08-2005 at 11:58 PM: Added text]

06-08-2005 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 199
I don't even know where to begin with this contest... I'm not a prolific player of holds at all; a rather large percentage of my rooms conquered are JtRH, so it'll be tough. Still, I'm at least going to try, but I don't expect to be in contention for this one.

06-09-2005 at 01:57 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I see a couple of rooms that I can recognise. But like Banjooie, I'm not in the mood for spending hours over each room (I'm in the middle of exams..). Hopefully I managed to randomly get one right. (OK, I wasn't going completely randomly.)
06-09-2005 at 02:11 AM
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
I haven't played all that many of the older holds, mostly a lot of newer stuff. Although I could spend ages correlating the tiny room images with the rooms from holds I have and haven't played, it's really not worth it. :thumbsdown

Random guess sheet, hooray!
06-11-2005 at 06:08 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
The real question I have about this contest is whether we're looking for completely new rooms, or rooms that have simply been edited from their original state to be slightly different.

06-14-2005 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
DiMono wrote:
The real question I have about this contest is whether we're looking for completely new rooms, or rooms that have simply been edited from their original state to be slightly different.

It seemed to me that it was both. :D

06-15-2005 at 12:02 AM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
I don't believe I marked very many correctly. In addition to that, I just sent my entry today.

Anyway, I do think there was a problem with the colors in that mosaic.

06-15-2005 at 06:02 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Only few days left ! Now make fast and you can still play !
06-21-2005 at 12:29 PM
acrobat
Well, I was able to identify most of the rooms in the image (all but 39, to be exact.) I just decided to guess among the likely prospect from what remained, figuring if nothing else, at least I've managed to narrow it down to the point where I'm fairly likely to get at least some of them correct.
06-22-2005 at 07:14 AM
MeckMeck GRE

File: HauffLockedOfficial_Stefan.jpg (124.3 KB)
Downloaded 129 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (+2)  
Drod Room Mosaic Contest :

Results :

Name // Number of Correct Guesses // Points

Stefan 8 100
Schep 7 50
Doom 6 25
Wallu 6 12*
Techant 6 6
BenCharter 3 3
Banjooie 1 1
DelverDom 0 0
Maurog 0 0
Birkoff 0 0
TripleM 0 0
Vylycyn 0 0
Phweengee 0 0
MasterGiga 0 0

* = First Contest

(The ideal solution is attatched)

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 06-27-2005 08:48 AM]
06-26-2005 at 03:48 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Mosaicpaper.jpg (314.6 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
License: Other
Yay. Made it in the top-3...

This contest wasn't a great success in my opinion. The image quality was bad, some rooms were badly chosen (IMO) and caused unnecessary confusion. (particularly E16, F6 and M17 in my picture)

Anyway, I attached my own picture here. (scanned, not the one that I sent to meckmeck) I printed the picture and blacked all rooms that I found in different holds. I ended up with 12 rooms to guess from. (One mistake. I'm color-blind. F9 is green in reality instead of red :D I should've not blacked that square.)

The rooms with blue outline are rooms that I found on the holds board after sending my entry.

I made also an excel table that shows in which hold every room that appears in the big picture is. (only those rooms that I found) I'm not attaching it here now, though.
06-26-2005 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Doom, as for the mage quality : I used mostly screenshots of the H&S board which werent that good. The fake rooms were made with the editor, so it would have been bad if I choose the high qualite bmp format (than you would say its too easy because the fake rooms have no quality problems). The 3 hard rooms were made to get the time factor down. (You dont get them fast). Sorry...
06-26-2005 at 07:19 PM
Banjooie
Uh, Meckmeck, what about my entry, that you said you got?
06-26-2005 at 07:44 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
MeckMeck, thanks for running the contest! There was a lot of work involved, and I thought you did quite well.

Some people have said that searching through the room images was a little too much work and not very interesting. I should confess that the basic idea of the contest was mine, and MeckMeck handled all of the details: creating the mosaic, writing rules, and evaluating submissions. I feel a little guilty about that division of labor. Hmm, mostly because I didn't really have any "labor". :)

So if the contest concept was generally flawed, then that's my fault. But I want to take some risks with the contests, and not just stick to contests that are proven to be fun. There should be room to innovate and find some brand-new ideas. Some of these contests may end up being early experiments for ideas that later go into our games. You never know.

-Erik

06-26-2005 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think that the main problem with this contest was not the concept itself but rather the specific issue of the jpg artifacts in the image used. This was fixable, but Meckmeck not only didn't fix it, he didn't even acknowledge the rather large group of people complaining about it. I know I didn't participate because of it.

06-26-2005 at 09:16 PM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
Its funny how I still can't view MeckMeck's attached image. HOWEVER, I can view Doom's...Am I the only one who has a problem with the original attachment and the official/Stefan's corrected mosaic?

:?

[Last edited by MasterGiga at 06-27-2005 08:48 AM]
06-26-2005 at 11:23 PM
MeckMeck GRE
eytanz wrote:
I think that the main problem with this contest was not the concept itself but rather the specific issue of the jpg artifacts in the image used. This was fixable, but Meckmeck not only didn't fix it, he didn't even acknowledge the rather large group of people complaining about it. I know I didn't participate because of it.

Eytanz, I tried to use a better qualite (bmp) format but however then you saw that all rooms that hadnt got artifacts (no screenshots from H&S) are fake rooms. Would that be better ? Maybe I should add the artifacts manually but this would had taken some hours and you maybe still could see which artifacts are artifical and which not. So I decided to use jpeg. Every room had random artifacts then.
06-27-2005 at 08:15 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (+2)  
Cool, I won a contest! :hooray

The contest idea was fun, although I agree that there were a couple of problems with it, most notably the image quality. It would have been a lot better if all images had been taken in-game (editor/restore screen/game map...) rather than from the "Insert DROD Room image" 'image database' on CaravelNet. I'm sure that someone on the dev-team could have supplied a bunch of high-quality images (or at least the means to get them) instead of those low-quality ones used (I was actually a bit tempted to do a high-quality mosaic image myself after I had sent in my entry, but I never did one - there was just too much work involved). However, it was possible to deduce which rooms were the bogus ones even though the image quality was poor - you just had to compare the images with level maps on CaravelNet (where possible) instead of level maps in-game. I'm actually quite surprised that nobody else got all eight right. It shouldn't be that difficult, if you've just got the time to do it.

I also didn't quite like the way the rooms were placed in the mosaic. Rooms from the same level were almost always placed in the same way as in the level itself (eg The Pitiful: Level 15: The Gatehouse Complete, which can be found unchanged in its entirety in the mosaic). It would have been more of a challenge if the rooms had been completely scrambled.

Another thing about the rooms: Why were there no rooms taken from many of the large (and popular?) holds such as Bavato's Dungeon, Deep Hold, Simon's Dungeon, Phil's Dungeon, Mark's Penultimate Dungeon and Claythro Tower? Instead, many of the smaller holds were represented, and the (currently buggy and incompletable) Pitiful was probably the most used hold. Additionally, there were rooms from UpdateTester, which at the end of the contest didn't even exist on the Holds board anymore.

Here's the full solution (I think), in case anyone's interested:

[Last edited by Stefan at 06-27-2005 08:49 AM : The list had been strangely divided for some reason.]
06-27-2005 at 08:48 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Sorry for not saying this sooner, but I was at my cottage...

Did you not get my entry?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
07-02-2005 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Sorry for not saying this sooner, but I was at my cottage...

Did you not get my entry?

No, I neither recieved a Email, nor a PM from you.
07-02-2005 at 05:02 PM
ErikH2000
Hawk, I'll give you participation credit for the contest. At this point it's a little late to give out rank points for your entry though. Sorry! I think if we were doing it again, the rules would have said something like "If you don't get an acknowledgement e-mail within 24 hours..." but it is hard to think of everything.

-Erik

07-03-2005 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Stefan, I am missing a bunch of e-mails. You said you wanted a mug, right? Can you e-mail me you mailing address again?

-Erik

07-03-2005 at 02:51 AM
ErikH2000
What user is "BenCharter"? I don't see any forum accounts with that name.

All other rank points have been awarded.

-Erik

07-03-2005 at 03:14 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Room Mosaic Contest (Our competition for June)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com