Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Film Festival (Rules updated.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Film Festival (0)  
wmarkham wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
A fancy trick I've been playing with is to use an orb that unlocks a door right next to it.
I'd like to point out that this sort of trick is not needed for the contest. All one needs to do is adjust "Wait for turn" commands so that the lines are delivered at the appropriate times.

Weston

I, uh, am vaguely unsure how this fixes people holding 5 down, could you please be a little more clear?

(If it doesn't, understand I'm reading this on a 'just got up' basis, and am capable of massive stupidity)
08-10-2005 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Well, all timing problems can be solved with a well-recorded demo. Getting the timing correct in the demo can be slightly painful, though. (Especially if you forget, that a single wait lasts for a max of about 3 seconds in the demo. So, if you're listening to a long speech while recording, it might be good idea to press wait every few seconds or the timing will be messed up.)

I've got a technically working entry, but I've not gotten myself to do the final minor tweaking yet..
08-10-2005 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DROD Film Festival (+1)  
Well, someone holding 5 down wouldn't prevent them from seeing the dialogue even with the "wait for turn x" scripts...unless you put in some Flush Speech commands.

The game automatically parses dialogue, and adjusts the time that text is on the screen based on the length of the dialogue. You can actually adjust this somewhat by using a non-zero value in the Delay box. 0 is the default, and puts in the appropriate pauses. By using small non-zero values, like say, 1, you can simulate multiple people talking at once. This was how I did the 4 "self destruct sequence initiated" mimics at the same time in The Choice. I had all their dialogue on one mimic, and just used the "Other" speaker choice to point to the other mimics.

Just experiment a bit, and you'll understand better how it works.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-10-2005 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
hey, flush speech /would/ work quite nicely. Thanks.
08-10-2005 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
2 questions:
1. Is a recorded demo compulsory? Since I'd rather just let people play through the hold. (A completely linear, uninteractive one of course)
2. Can we use sounds/speech that come with the game? (The .ogg files in the sounds directory)

08-12-2005 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Jacob wrote:
2 questions:
1. Is a recorded demo compulsory? Since I'd rather just let people play through the hold. (A completely linear, uninteractive one of course)
No, the rules say that you can make the hold in other ways.
2. Can we use sounds/speech that come with the game? (The .ogg files in the sounds directory)
I'm going to stick to the rules on this one, and say that you can't use any sounds/speech whether it comes from files included with the game or not. If a sound comes up as a result of normal in-game behavior, as opposed to scripting, then it's fine. So for example, if an orb is hit by a scripted character, that will automatically make an orb-hitting noise which is acceptable. But if you explicitly play the orb sound file with scripting, then that isn't acceptable.

The reason I restrict this is so that the contest will be focused on a subset of creative expression. Entrants can then be fairly compared to each other, and nobody will gain an advantage by using a "gimmick".

-Erik

08-12-2005 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
What about changing background music with the set music script?
08-13-2005 at 07:45 AM
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:
What about changing background music with the set music script?
Okay, sure, I guess that's alright.

-Erik

08-13-2005 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I just want to say that I absolutely love this idea of the contest. :)

Unfortunately I'm not going to do this contest, since I'm on holiday, and will not have access to my computer for a week :(

Or maybe I can try a very small entry this time.

-- Tim

08-14-2005 at 03:55 PM
ErikH2000
Just a reminder, that I need to have those film entries by:

Local Time:08-20-2005 at 01:00 AM

...which is negative 974 weeks, 5 days from now. At this point, I have to admit that I've got nothing, so I figure it's worth a few prods to wake people up. If anyone was scared off--this doesn't have to be a terribly serious production. Just make something simple and quick, and even if you don't win, people will still like what you came up with.

-Erik

08-15-2005 at 01:36 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Thanks for the reminder. But I dont think you should mind haveing 0 entries now. I think at least 5 will come till the last five hours and another 5 within them.

If not you may extend the limit to 21th August.
08-15-2005 at 09:28 AM
Jacob
Mine's almost done. So you'll have at least one entry.

08-15-2005 at 12:12 PM
ErikH2000
Good! I did get two entries last night, and it looks like there's more coming. So we're in good shape!

-Erik

08-15-2005 at 05:22 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Just got my entry in. :w00t

Amazing Contest Discription: PRIZES FOR EVERYONE!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 12:25 PM]
08-16-2005 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I probably won't manage to make anything for this contest. Too much work and stuff (college project is pressuring me), and only three days left :(
Or maybe at the last moment I'll go for something short and unfinished like I usually do.

[Last edited by Maurog at 08-16-2005 01:42 PM]
08-16-2005 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
Just a reminder, that I need to have those film entries by:

Local Time:08-20-2005 at 01:00 AM

...which is negative 974 weeks, 5 days from now.
I've had lots of things to do recently, so I've only started working on the hold very recently. I know it's probably a bit unfair/irritating for me to ask this, but could you grant a sort of extension to 21/22 August? It's just that I don't think I can actually finish it in time by the 20th, especially with having to record the demo for it as well.

08-17-2005 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
I've had lots of things to do recently, so I've only started working on the hold very recently. I know it's probably a bit unfair/irritating for me to ask this, but could you grant a sort of extension to 21/22 August? It's just that I don't think I can actually finish it in time by the 20th, especially with having to record the demo for it as well.
Wesley, I'd really like to stick to the rules. That might mean you can't get done in time, but extending the deadline for your request may seem to other entrants like I'm granting you a special favor.

A compromise I can make: if there are less than 5 entries by the 20th, we'll extend the deadline to the 22nd. Right now, I've got 3 submitted entries.

-Erik

08-17-2005 at 03:00 AM
Jacob
If you want to be anonymous, create a new player in DROD to use for authoring the hold.

Only just noticed this. Surely it should be anonymous for everyone so as not to influence voting? Also: do you want the holds as anyone edit, or what?

08-17-2005 at 11:30 AM
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
If you want to be anonymous, create a new player in DROD to use for authoring the hold.
Only just noticed this. Surely it should be anonymous for everyone so as not to influence voting?
I don't see any problem with letting people choose for themselves if they want to be anonymous or not. Sure, it's possible that unfairness comes into the contest from seeing names, but I doubt it influences things that much.
Also: do you want the holds as anyone edit, or what?
Whichever suits you.

-Erik

08-17-2005 at 05:24 PM
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
Ehh...yeah. I can't make it by the 20th either. I happen to have marching band camp all week, and like no DRODing time. And I am moving rather slowly, so I don't think I will be able to make itm anyways. :( Sorry to those who could've been looking forward to something really weird or something by me.
08-17-2005 at 07:09 PM
Banjooie
I'm just trying to make a demo that doesn't, uh, completely suck. The movie itself is done.
08-17-2005 at 07:15 PM
Doom
I've just sent mine, so the limit of five entries will surely be reached before 20th.
08-17-2005 at 07:29 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Banjooie wrote:
I'm just trying to make a demo that doesn't, uh, completely suck. The movie itself is done.

I know what you mean about the demo, it took me a couple of hours after I was done with my film to change it so the demo would have the right timing and the speeches whould be timed right.

I recommend that folks be encouraged to both see the demo and experince the film by playing the level, so they can get a feel for the right timing of the speeches. Just a thought.

08-18-2005 at 04:05 AM
ErikH2000
We've got our fifth entry, so the deadline will stay at Local Time:08-20-2005 at 01:00 AM. I'm sorry that not everyone will have their film done in time. I still encourage you to finish and show it on the forum. There is also a chance that it is used in the part II contest in September, which will be about recording dialogue for holds.

-Erik

08-18-2005 at 05:07 PM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
We've got our fifth entry, so the deadline will stay at Local Time:08-20-2005 at 01:00 AM. I'm sorry that not everyone will have their film done in time. I still encourage you to finish and show it on the forum. There is also a chance that it is used in the part II contest in September, which will be about recording dialogue for holds.
Just so you know, Erik, I've just submitted my entry (actually, it was a collaborative effort with Patrick), and if it doesn't reach you by the deadline, send me an e-mail so I can resend it.

08-19-2005 at 06:04 PM
ErikH2000
I've got 7 entries now, which is great! I replied back to Wesley and the other 6 people who sent me a film. If you didn't get an acknowledgment from me, that means I didn't get your film! So in that case, e-mail it to me again at erikh@caravelgames.com. If you still don't get an acknowledgment, post here to get my attention.

-Erik

08-19-2005 at 06:27 PM
agaricus5
Umm...

Not to sound too impatient, but with the big rush to meet the deadline before, I was just wondering whether the voting/film showcase will begin soon. Of course, if you're busy, then I apologise, but I was just curious about the delay.

08-21-2005 at 06:09 PM
ErikH2000
I didn't have any time to post them yesterday. But today I do.

-Erik

08-21-2005 at 07:24 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Film Festival (Rules updated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com