Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good Linux Games? ((Productivity is never a good thing))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Good Linux Games? (0)  
Okay, now that I have Linux up and running, I need to install some games on this thing. Problem is, finding games for Linux seems rare, and I'm a huge gamer as my name indicates. I'm huge on FPS' and RTS', and if anyone can link me up with any linux games that would run on a 450mhz K6-3D with 96MB RAM and a 8MB videocard, I would be eternally happy.

03-16-2005 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Good Linux Games? (+1)  
How about DROD? ;)

I just had to say it.

Edit: Seriously, though, you can start by browsing the Gentoo Portage directory. There seems to be a fair amount of games to choose from.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-16-2005 at 01:43 PM]

03-16-2005 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Stefan wrote:
How about DROD?

Seriously, I'll go check the Portage directory.

03-16-2005 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
www... 450 Mhz ? This could be hard.

first of all, http://happypenguin.org/
You'll find lots of games here. Some in development. Updated fairly frequently. You don't really have to read any further, all games I mention are listed there.

http://Freeciv.org - Very good free clone of Civilisation. Many distributions contain it, so you may not have to download it.

http://adom.de
I grew up with ADOM, not Nethack. If you can live with no/simple graphics, roguelike games are great.

Starcraft is reported to work on Linux, but it needs some tweaking to run it. Unfortunatelly no Battle.net support, even worse - Blizzard sued creators of free bnet client.

Quake1, Quake2, DooM are known to work under linux. You basically need to download extra binaries.
Or source ports. I don't remember links now, but should be easy to find with google. Search for "quake2 linux" for example.

UT games run with Linux, too, if your machine can handle them.

http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index.php?project=LBreakout2
I think Lbreakout2 is the most addicting arkanoid-style game ever. I made some of level backgrounds.

http://projects.planetpenguin.de/racer
PPRacer - free branch of now commercial Tux Racer. The game is pretty good, and what's worth mentioning - you can create your own levels because each level is actually an image or two. Each pixel color determines height at that particular spot. You can have a lot of fun with fancy GIMP effects, especially ones like Cubism.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-16-2005 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HappyMutant
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I use Linux almost exclusively; I keep Windows around to play Myst games. I don't play many games, but I play those games far too much.

I play Tetris in those moments so small that I won't be able to play a DROD room. There are any number of Tetris games and variants on Linux, I won't even begin to categorize them.

I play DROD when I have enough time for a room or two. (This often becomes a level or two, of course ;))

But when I have several hours of free time, I play interactive fiction on one of the fullscreen, old-school terminals outside of the window manager. (You reach them by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Fn, where n is from 1 to 6.) IF games work fine in windowed terminals, of course, but the atmosphere isn't quite right. ;)

If you're familiar with the genre (or at least the Infocom games), then all you need is at the Interactive Fiction Archive. If you aren't familiar with the genre, you can still find everything you need at the IF Archive, but you'll want a little direction. You need an interpreter to play most of these games; frotz is needed for most of them. You also need an introduction to IF; this is probably best obtained by playing Andrew Plotkin (Zarf)'s The Dreamhold. The Dreamhold is designed so that all of the required puzzles are simple enough for beginners (though this can be adjusted, if you like), and is written with a hint "voice" that explains commands and conventions of IF as they are used (though this can be turned off). It's also a good game. After that, the ratings in the IF Archive and the reviews you can find online are good indicators of what games are fun. You want to avoid the dross; IF can be very bad. It can also, however, be amazing.
04-11-2005 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
Although I have been using XP recently(I messed up my hard drive and have not yet had time to reinstall Gentoo), I do have a few games that I like for Linux.

I don't know how many of these would work on your computer, because Linux games rarely list system requirements.

One I find really addicting is SolarWolf.
I got so addicted to that game that my highscore is only 15 ships lost, which, if you ever play the game, is just insane.

Another good one is Wesnoth.
If you like RTS games, you might like this, even though it is turn based.

I also found Blob Wars to be fairly entertaining.

Liquid War is another good and original game, but basically has only multiplayer.

As far as FPS, I think cube is still the best Open Source one, and is relatively small so it might work on your computer.

I also think most(maybe all) of these games have ports for Windows, if anyone is interested.

04-11-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good Linux Games? ((Productivity is never a good thing))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com