Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Agaricus5 - The birthday member.
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Agaricus5 - The birthday member. (+2)  
Hey hey! Give a shout out to Agaricus5 today, as it's his 17th birthday today!

Have a good one o'er there in England!

03-15-2005 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Agaricus5 - The birthday member. (+1)  
:hbd mushroom dude!
03-15-2005 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Happy birthday Wesley!

03-15-2005 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Felix Natalia!

03-15-2005 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Hey hey! Give a shout out to Agaricus5 today, as it's his 17th birthday today!

Have a good one o'er there in England!
Indeed, it is my birthday at last (incidentally, it's now my third one on this forum)!

At present, I'm not doing anything special right now, since I've got a lot of Decision Mathematics homework to do (my birthday is at a particularly awkward time of year when I get lots of work all at once), but hopefully I'll get a chance to celebrate this weekend.

Thanks for acknowledging it, everyone who has posted (and who will post) in here, and indeed anyone who reads this thread too. It's been a very pleasant surprise.

03-15-2005 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Happy birthday!!!

You'll have to tell us what presents you get once you've gotten them.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-15-2005 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Yay! Happy birthday Agaricus. Welcome to the big one seven.

(Fun side note, I never realised you were about the same age as me. I just turned 17 on January 16th.)

Anyhow, have a great birthday!
03-15-2005 at 08:31 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
In the great british tradition, wake up tomorrow with some else's underwear on and tied to a radiator.

Happy Birthday!
03-15-2005 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
In the great british tradition, wake up tomorrow with some else's underwear on and tied to a radiator.

Is that some kind of English thing? If so, I'm moving to England; sounds like a blast over there!

Anyhow, many happy returns to you, our favorite mycophile.

"Trust the fungus."

Edit: I suppose he did say rather explicitly it was a British thing, so looks like I should pack my bags. Cheerio!

[Edited by Abbyzzmal at Local Time:03-15-2005 at 09:21 PM]
03-15-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Well, I don't know much about anything outside Britain related to birthdays, and I knwo that one of my friends woke up tied to a radiator. So I thought I'd better throw some humour in there.
03-15-2005 at 09:27 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
I've never woke up tied to a radiator, but I did wake up hanging upside down inside a sleeping bag in the middle of a marsh once. But then, I'm not British.

Anyway, happy birthday, Wesley!

:yay

- Gerry
03-15-2005 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Just in time...

Happy birthday, Wesley! :hbd

03-15-2005 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Haven't been on this board for one whole day (for the first time in weeks) and I missed this one... Grrrrr...

Happy birthday anyway...

03-16-2005 at 08:13 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Happy birthday mushroom ! I look forward seeing a new hold of you : The mushrooms planthouse ! ;)
03-16-2005 at 06:09 PM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Happy birthday, Agaricus5! Hope you don't have to deal with a birthday of mediocrity...

The best hold in the world!
03-17-2005 at 12:03 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
This is very late but my keyboared was broken before. Anyways happy birthday.

03-17-2005 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Malarame wrote:
Happy birthday!!!

You'll have to tell us what presents you get once you've gotten them.
I didn't get very many presents; I'm not a demanding type of person, and I don't really insist that people get me anything. Nonetheless, I did get some interesting presents, one of which (I guess understandably) was a book about killer fungi, aptly entitled "Carpet Monsters and Killer Spores".

I also obtained an album by a band called "Nightwish", who have written some of my favourite music, and also one of a band called "Within Temptation", who, I am told, also have composed similar music, and that I would like it (I will be investigating this shortly :))

Finally, I was also given a rather expensive, but interesting smartphone (new-generation mobile phone), although since I very rarely use mobile phones, or have need to use them at all, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

I also got various assorted small items, and money.

Abbyzzmal wrote:
Is that some kind of English thing? If so, I'm moving to England; sounds like a blast over there!
I don't generally do that sort of thing, so I can't confirm it myself. I believe it's a sort of thing connected with late-night parties, which involve some form of alcohol consumption, which would explain the oddness of the event, and since I can't consume alcohol, I sort of have some immunity to it.

Anyhow, many happy returns to you, our favorite mycophile.

"Trust the fungus."
True, but also never turn your back on them either. While you're not looking, they may end up colonising your food, your house, or even you if you're not careful!

:P

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-17-2005 at 09:12 PM]

03-17-2005 at 09:11 PM
Stefan
icon Re: Agaricus5 - The birthday member. (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
I also obtained an album by a band called "Nightwish", who have written some of my favourite music, and also one of a band called "Within Temptation", who, I am told, also have composed similar music, and that I would like it (I will be investigating this shortly :))
Hey, cool, I never would have guessed you were into that kind of music :)

03-17-2005 at 09:23 PM
agaricus5
Stefan wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Hey, cool, I never would have guessed you were into that kind of music :)
Now that's intriguing. I have some rather picky (and according to some) unusual musical tastes.

Generally (very generally), most of the music I like is more instrumental rather than vocal, although I find it hard to describe what sort of music I like listening to. Ilisten to classical music a lot, although I'm more interested in later periods of music, from about 1800 onwards (i.e. the romantic period and later) than older music, like from the baroque era, although I want to get to hear music from as many composers as I can. Currently (partly because we're playing music by those composers in my orchestra), I'm listening to composers like Dvorak and Sibelius, and I'm also getting interested in Russian composers like Tchaikovsky and Schostakovitch. From the modern era, I listen to a lot of music that falls under the instrumental or orchestral category (computer game music is probably a good example), although I'm not very keen on more "popular" music styles, like Blues or Jazz.

In the case of Nightwish, I'll admit that since I don't listen to much popular music, I didn't know about the band until recently, when my sister discovered it and played me a sample of their music. Since them, however, I'm pretty much a fan of some of their more orchestral music, which is full of unusual melodies, is orchestrated wonderfully, has a really good female singer, and really makes me inspired to compose music (although I cannot do so, of course). Currently, my favourite song is "Ghost Love Score", which is just so musically clever I can't get enough of it. It's closely followed by "Moondance", a short, but rather exciting dance-type piece, and "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" (I don't know what it means in English, though), which is very relaxing to listen to. I also like "Nemo", "Creek Mary's Blood" (although the incantation at the end is a little odd) and "The Siren", which sounds a bit like the "Jaws" theme at the start and has a sort of Egyptian style instrumental section in the middle, which is quite unusual. I'm still getting to know some of the other songs better, but there are one or two, like "Romanticide", that I don't like very much.

I have no idea what sort of music that is, so if anyone knows better, I wouldn't mind finding out what sort of genre it is, so I can describe it more easily to people. Also, if anyone knows of any other similar bands or music, then I'd also like to hear about them.

But, still, I wasn't expecting to find someone who also knows of the band. Thanks for replying, Stefan!

03-17-2005 at 09:55 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Happy birthday!!!!!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-17-2005 at 11:05 PM
Stefan
agaricus5 wrote:
Now that's intriguing. I have some rather picky (and according to some) unusual musical tastes.

Generally (very generally), most of the music I like is more instrumental rather than vocal, although I find it hard to describe what sort of music I like listening to. Ilisten to classical music a lot, although I'm more interested in later periods of music, from about 1800 onwards (i.e. the romantic period and later) than older music, like from the baroque era, although I want to get to hear music from as many composers as I can. Currently (partly because we're playing music by those composers in my orchestra), I'm listening to composers like Dvorak and Sibelius, and I'm also getting interested in Russian composers like Tchaikovsky and Schostakovitch. From the modern era, I listen to a lot of music that falls under the instrumental or orchestral category (computer game music is probably a good example), although I'm not very keen on more "popular" music styles, like Blues or Jazz.
You seem to have a somewhat similar taste in music as I have. I also listen to a lot of classical music, but I listen to music from almost any era (although I very rarely listen to anything from pre-baroque times). I like Beethoven a lot (his symphonies (all nine of them) are masterpieces!), and music from the romantic era
is very good (Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Smetana, ...).

When it comes to modern music, I listen to almost any kind of music, but very rarely anything really mainstream (and never rap/hip hop). Sigur Rós, Björk and Massive Attack are some of my favourites. Lately I've been listening to Prodigy and Pink Floyd a lot, and occasionally some Deftones and Astral Projection. I also listen to a lot of soundtrack music, such as The Piano-soundtrack, Requiem for a Dream-soundtrack and music from the Qatsi-trilogy. I basically listen to anything that in some way moves me (and usually that doesn't include anything that is played on MTV or on popular radio stations) Edit: and that sort of music is more often than not instrumental music (or 'nearly instrumental').

As you probably can see, I don't really have a well-defined musical taste. :)
In the case of Nightwish, I'll admit that since I don't listen to much popular music, I didn't know about the band until recently, when my sister discovered it and played me a sample of their music. Since them, however, I'm pretty much a fan of some of their more orchestral music, which is full of unusual melodies, is orchestrated wonderfully, has a really good female singer, and really makes me inspired to compose music (although I cannot do so, of course). Currently, my favourite song is "Ghost Love Score", which is just so musically clever I can't get enough of it. It's closely followed by "Moondance", a short, but rather exciting dance-type piece, and "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" (I don't know what it means in English, though), which is very relaxing to listen to. I also like "Nemo", "Creek Mary's Blood" (although the incantation at the end is a little odd) and "The Siren", which sounds a bit like the "Jaws" theme at the start and has a sort of Egyptian style instrumental section in the middle, which is quite unusual. I'm still getting to know some of the other songs better, but there are one or two, like "Romanticide", that I don't like very much.
I must admit that I haven't actually listened to a lot of Nightwish, but I do know how they sound (it's a Finnish band, and they're fairly popular here, so it's difficult not to know about them (commercials, you know)). I like some of what I've heard, but I haven't yet investigated them more closely (maybe I should).

"Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" would roughly translate to "Death makes the artist".
From the lyrics of the song (very poorly translated):
"Sinussa maailman kauneus" - in you the beauty of the world
"Josta kuolema teki minusta taiteilijan" - out of which death made me an artist
I have no idea what sort of music that is, so if anyone knows better, I wouldn't mind finding out what sort of genre it is, so I can describe it more easily to people. Also, if anyone knows of any other similar bands or music, then I'd also like to hear about them.
I'd call it "melodic heavy metal", but that's just me. :)

As for other similar bands, I'm not sure. The ones that pops into my head at the moment are Stratovarius (although I don't really know any other of their songs than "Black Diamond") and Apocalyptica (plays heavy metal with cellos); both of them are Finnish bands (surprise, surprise). Edit: However, none of them are really exactly like Nightwish, they're just kind of similar, in some way.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 12:23 AM]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 12:29 AM]

03-18-2005 at 12:14 AM
Abbyzzmal
Nightwish is fun, although I find them to be a little bit kitschy at times. There's very little music I don't like, so my opinion isn't worth much, but it seems that the Venn diagram between my musical tastes and yours (both of you, but to a greater extent Agaricus's) is one circle completely enclosed by another. If that makes sense. And your tastes in classical music are a dead-on match, the post-1800 and Baroque with an emphasis on the Russians.

So let me see if I can think of some groups you might like based on what you've said. There's always Epica, who I think sounds very similar to Nightwish. There's also Aeternitas, another player in the gothic orchestrated metal scene. Some of their stuff gets a little heavier than you'd probably want, but that's about as good as I can do. I always thought of Nightwish as a combination between Enya, Abba, and Iron Butterfly. Plus metal. Not very many other groups have that combination of sounds. If you would like some links to some samples of the groups I've mentioned, I could probably find them quickly.

Also, I don't know, I've personally been listening to a lot of Russian progressive folk music lately. The instrumentation may be a bit more sparse than you like, but the singing is wonderful, and the melodies are beautiful. There are some samples on this page of one of my favorite groups, Рада и Терновник. See if you like them.

I guess that's all I have to say. I am glad that people enjoy music!

[Edited by Abbyzzmal at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 01:20 AM]
03-18-2005 at 01:19 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Dvorak's New World Symphony is one of my most favorite pieces ever. I love music from the Romantic period.

We speak mostly Russian at home, especially to our four-year-old son, whose first language is Russian. Hence, at home we listen to many Russian children's songs and lullabies, read many Slavic fairy tales, and watch many Russian cartoons. Russia has a very deep and charming culture, but I think most Americans wouldn't "get" it unless they were taught by a native Russian what the spiritual purpose behind all of it is. Then I think it would be very much appreciated for what it can offer.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-18-2005 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Russian cartoons? Like Crocodile Gena and Cheburashka? Now that's a cool cartoon!

*Suddenly remembers what this thread was about*

A cool cartoon that I'm sure Agaricus would enjoy if he had seen it on his birthday. Or otherwise. Oh yeah!
03-18-2005 at 07:31 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Cheburashka (0)  
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Russian cartoons? Like Crocodile Gena and Cheburashka? Now that's a cool cartoon!
Yeah!!! (I forgot to mention that I do love many of these cartoons!) In fact, I was reading this book as a bedtime story for Seth just last night :) We read a chapter where this little girl who is playing the role of the granddaughter in a theater play of Little Red Riding Hood gets sick, and so the crocodile agrees to help her out. So he plays her part for her, and when he gets to the scene where the wolf says he's going to eat her, Gena forgets himself, fights back, and ends up scaring the wolf off stage. All the children cheer and want an encore for the coolest rendition of Little Red Riding Hood they have ever seen. :cool

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 04:17 AM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-19-2005 at 02:21 AM
Abbyzzmal
Awesome!

(It seems like a waste of a post, but it had to be said)
03-19-2005 at 04:43 AM
agaricus5
mrimer wrote:
Dvorak's New World Symphony is one of my most favorite pieces ever. I love music from the Romantic period.
Agreed (I'm listening to it right now, incidentally!).

It's pretty difficult to play though, since it's full of really exposed sections and rather fiddly melodies (especially for the strings, I believe).

In reply to the other posts about music, I'm currently investigating some of your suggestions, as well as going off to find some more Russian composers to have a listen to. Thanks for your feedback; it's been highly informative and has clarified my musical interest somewhat.

03-21-2005 at 12:19 AM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
i think im a bit late, but what the hell, happy 17th birthday agaricus5!!!!!
04-08-2005 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
Happy birthday Mr. Mushroom guy
04-08-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
:hbd our resident medic/mycologist!

:yay:yay:yay

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-15-2009 04:25 PM]
03-15-2009 at 04:23 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Agaricus5 - The birthday member.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com