Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Imparative token (make character behave like a token does)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon Imparative token (+4)  
Many architects have built custom tokens of some sort. However, it's impossible to get them to behave like normal tokens:
1) You need
imperative ghost-display
to be able to step on them, but then you can't right-click to see what the token is (this is difficult when there's several different tokens present).
2) You have to manually set which entities trigger the token, and you would like sensible behaviour like triggering tokens several times in a row when entities are swapped with other entities (e.g. Beethro moves off, mimic moves onto token). It's possible to code this to some extend, but it inevitably breaks down at some point, for instance when a clone switches to Beethro using TAB, the occupation state of the token changes where it shouldn't, and when one mimic is swapped for a different mimic, the occupation state stays the same while it should actually change.

I'd love to have the option to set correct token behaviour with
imperative token
, such that I only would have to mess around with what the token actually does. Natually, this imperative would have to come with something like
Wait for someone to toggle me
and perhaps custom tokens should even respond to the
activate item at...
command.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 04-27-2020 11:07 AM]
04-27-2020 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1055
icon Re: Imparative token (+2)  
This isn't something that can really work, because NPCs are monsters. Several properties of tokens are due to them being T-layer objects, which are interacted with in completely different ways.

Really, the best hope for better custom tokens are imperatives/behaviours that allow for Ghost Display Tooltips. The toggling behaviour is something that's a lot trickery to solve, since DROD currently doesn't have a way of determining if two monsters of the same type are different entities.

04-28-2020 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Imparative token (+2)  
Imperative token is certainly not going to be implemented unless some big changes in the game logic are made (specifically, adding hooks to scripts which execute in the middle of something happening elsewhere in the room, kinda like in RPG for fighting).

What we could potentially add is a "Custom" token, and an accompanying command "Wait for custom token to activate at...". The way it would work would be that the token would remember being activated even if whatever moved on top of it was pushed off or killed on the same turn.

I am not really sure how useful such a feature would be for you but if anything it has the possibility of being implemented.

10-20-2020 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Imparative token (0)  
"Custom" token would be excellent, honestly. Just something that fixes the various problems making current "custom token"s not behave or really even look like real ones in terms of layering would be pretty neat. Preferably it would be something created by a drodscript command which includes a place to put an image so that multiple different custom tokens can exist in the same room at once.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

10-20-2020 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Imparative token (make character behave like a token does)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com