Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (+1)  
Thank you! The hold is attached in the first post now. As explained, it includes voice acting, a few scrolls have been changed to reflect the voice clips, and surrealcanine's rooms have been modified.

I've decided to ask Erik to just record one word so I can insert it into Shallow Thoughts. Other than that, I think we're about ready to send this off to HA. I would encourage people to run through the hold to see if there are any other issues; I'll be doing that myself pretty soon, and making a demo set for HA submission.
07-02-2019 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (0)  
Was there a room where the scroll text included the phrase "mathematical proof"?

I can't find it now.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-03-2019 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
disoriented wrote:
Was there a room where the scroll text included the phrase "mathematical proof"?

I can't find it now.

I did something like that for Blood and Ashes.

07-03-2019 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
When I try to import the hold, drod complains about too little memory. The hold file is 64 MB. I guess this is too large. I assume that I could perhaps solve this problem, but if I'm experiencing this, others probably will too.

Might there be a way to decrease hold size? 64 MB seems to be an awful lot for only the voice clips. Perhaps the wind files could be compacted significantly without quality loss? I'm not an expert, unfortunately, so I can't help you out...

Bottom line: I can't play this right now :(

07-09-2019 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Sorry, I haven't been keeping track. Are these sound files WAVs, OGGs, or something else?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-09-2019 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
They're all WAVs except for the dun-dun-dunnn.ogg sound effect.
07-09-2019 at 09:23 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Dragon Fogel, generally OGG will result in a much smaller file, depending on the codec which it is wrapping. Uncompressed WAV is fine for general editing but should not be used for importing into holds.

If you need a batch convert of WAV to OGG, I can help with that.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-09-2019 at 09:26 PM
Dragon Fogel
Conversion shouldn't be a big problem. The bigger issue is going to be changing all the lines in the hold, but that shouldn't take more than a day.

Thanks for the offer, though.
07-09-2019 at 11:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
On second thought, I'm having more trouble finding something than I thought I would, so I'll take you up on that offer.
07-09-2019 at 11:51 PM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, the WAVs are replaced with OGGs now and the file is a quarter of the size. Thanks to disoriented for the help!
07-10-2019 at 07:45 AM
Dying Flutchman
Works like a charm now.

Thnx for fixing this.

07-10-2019 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Yes, works for me too.

Fogel asked me to look through the hold for checkpointing issues, so here goes:

2N1E: Add one around (15,16).
1N2W: Remove the checkpoint closest to each roach.
1N1W: Still has none! Suggestions: (10,10), (27,10), (10,21) and (27,21).
1N1E: Move (22,17) to (23,17).
1E: Add one under the time token.
2W: Move (22,16) to (21,16).
1S4W: Still has none! Suggestions: (15,28) and (33,28).
3S4W: Add checkpoints at (19,12) and (19,19).
5S1E: Still has none! Suggestions: (8,16) and (12,14).
5S: Add checkpoints at (28,7), (28,17) and (28,26).
5S3W: Add one at (20,10).

07-10-2019 at 02:51 PM
Dragon Fogel
Update: Added checkpoints in all the suggested locations. Also added one near the oremite path in 5S1E.

Also I've expanded the credits scroll into two to account for disoriented's help with the voice clips and Nuntar's checkpoint advice.
07-10-2019 at 04:50 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Update: Added checkpoints in all the suggested locations. Also added one near the oremite path in 5S1E.
Oops :P That was a typo, (12,14) should have been (12,24).

A couple more points:
4S3W: Remove SW checkpoint.
2N: Scroll says that default for special command is "." but doesn't specify numpad as opposed to regular full stop. If you want, you can use $_CMD_UseCommand$ in the scroll text to display whatever key the user has bound to special command.

If it's okay, I really would rather not be specially credited for this.

07-11-2019 at 03:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
Updated to address the above points.
07-11-2019 at 06:49 PM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
Been busy and never got around to writing a full review of the contest, or even looking at the compilation.

A challenge which is asking to appear is
Click here to view the secret text

07-22-2019 at 05:15 PM
Dying Flutchman
bbb wrote:
Been busy and never got around to writing a full review of the contest, or even looking at the compilation.

A challenge which is asking to appear is

That was my room. I liked the idea a lot!

07-22-2019 at 06:00 PM
Dragon Fogel
So, here's a status update: I never heard back from Erik and it's been a month. However, I was only asking for one word and it's one that's on other scrolls, so at this point I'll just try to copy another use of it. Probably won't sound as good as if he'd done a take specifically for this, but it's my room and I can deal with it.

My current plan is to post an update tonight after getting that done, then submit to HA in about a week if no other issues arise.

As for the above challenge, since the room's original author is interested in putting it in and I've confirmed myself that it's possible, I'm willing to include it. But I'm not sure on what would need to be scripted. Is it even possible to award a challenge on death in general, or does that only work in TCB because it's a cutscene?

Edit: Okay, done. I'd never tried copying audio before, but it turned out that what I wanted to do was very simple. Update has been posted with one additional word of audio. However, the challenge still isn't implemented.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 08-06-2019 04:03 AM]
08-06-2019 at 03:52 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
While I doubt it's possible to script a challenge to occur "on player death", I presume you know "how" the player can put himself in a situation where it's possible for him to die, and you could script a challenge to occur at that point. For example, if the way to kill yourself is to bring a monster within a certain area then you just need a "wait for entity monster". Or if it involved, say, lighting a fuse that'll blow up a bomb near the player you can check for said fuse being lit. Maybe a good way to word the challenge scroll would be "put yourself in mortal danger" or "prove you aren't really completely safe", something like that.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-06-2019 04:48 AM]
08-06-2019 at 04:47 AM
Dragon Fogel
The specific details:

Edit: just tested and I couldn't get a challenge to work when stepping in a firetrap. So I guess it works in TCB due to trickery with the cutscene.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 08-06-2019 05:20 AM]
08-06-2019 at 05:12 AM
Dying Flutchman
It's my room, so here's my 5 cents:

I'd suggest to make the challenge something like "provide the means to kill yourself" and then award it when the mimic thing has appropriately been set up. Actual stabbing not required.

I'm on holiday, so I can't test the possibilities for myself, unfortunately.

Edit: I'd suggest to name the challenge: "Dead as a delver"

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 08-06-2019 07:15 PM]
08-06-2019 at 09:23 AM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (+2)  
Updated with an implementation of the challenge for Green Coffin of Death as suggested above.

Details below, so Flutchman can tell me if all this is fine without needing to actually access the room:

08-06-2019 at 06:17 PM
Dying Flutchman
Great. Tnx DF.

One suggestion:

Challenge name is fine.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 08-06-2019 07:20 PM]
08-06-2019 at 07:20 PM
Dragon Fogel
Scroll text is changed, as requested. I kept "before the room is clear" for clarity. Also confirmed that the challenge doesn't award after the room is clear.

In addition, I looked at the other challenge scripting and noticed some troublesome End commands in surrealcanine's rooms, particularly in the Halph room. So I rescripted those. However, I haven't gotten around to testing the new scripts just yet to make sure that 1) they award the challenges when appropriate and 2) they don't award the challenges when not appropriate. I'll do that later today but it wouldn't hurt if somebody else did it before I get to that.

Edit: I messed up with the Quest for Wisdom challenge. Fixed that on my side but I'm going to check Halph's Jailbreak before I post an update.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 08-06-2019 11:45 PM]
08-06-2019 at 07:57 PM
Dragon Fogel
Good thing I tested because I messed up the challenge scripting in both of surrealcanine's rooms. New update with that fixed.

Also I extended the area that Commuted Sentence checks for because I got Halph out of the prison but he wasn't in that narrow area, so I didn't get that challenge.

Right now my main focus is putting together a demo pack for HA submission, and I'm close to having that done.
08-07-2019 at 01:39 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, got a full set of demos ready. While I was doing that I noticed there was no checkpoint in the fish room, so I added one.

Normally I wouldn't update just for that, but nobody downloaded the previous update so I might as well.
08-07-2019 at 03:59 AM
Dragon Fogel
Submitted to HA. Thanks again to everyone who participated or helped!
08-14-2019 at 04:26 PM
Dragon Fogel
Tweaked the challenge checking in Halph's Jailbreak again. However, I've noticed an issue which surrealcanine might want addressed?

08-19-2019 at 05:28 PM
surrealcanine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 139
In response to Dragon Fogel's discovery:

08-22-2019 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com