Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged

File: Arkys Revenge Compilation.hold (15.3 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (+3)  
The contest has wrapped up, so here's the architecture thread for people to fix up unintended solutions and make whatever other changes they consider necessary.

If you want to change your scroll text, please do so promptly. I'd like to send the text to Erik for recording in one week (June 15th), so I want it to be finalized by then. If anyone wants to make changes to their scroll text but will have trouble meeting that deadline, let me know.

I've also started decorating the hallways. The north side should look a bit better, though obviously I welcome criticism and ideas for what to do with the rest of them.

Finally, I added in architect names and placement in the contest to the scrolls outside each entry. Please let me know if I overlooked anything here.

Changes to entries:
-Added more checkpoints to WWW. Let me know if I should move them, add more, or whatever.
-Changed the tile under the conquer token in Cliff Puff to oremites at the architect's request. Any other changes are on Someone Else to make.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 08-07-2019 03:59 AM]
06-08-2019 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: overrun.png (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 827 times.
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (+1)  
I checked all the rooms' scrolls, but I only saw the overrun issue with this one scroll in River Crossing. Looks like it could be fixed by taking out the double newlines?

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 06-09-2019 04:25 AM]
06-09-2019 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (0)  
Those are single newlines for me, which seems to be the difference. Maybe that's a bug in the Mac version.

I took out the space between the two headlines.
06-09-2019 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
Could be the old issue with "carriage-return line-feed" being standard for new lines on Windows, with "line feed" being the standard on Unix systems (like present-day macOS)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-09-2019 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I'd like to have the lone north scroll removed from my room (Green Coffin of Death).
Also, there seems to be a difference in darkness between my room and the others. I'm ok with removing the darkness and make everything fit together a bit better, especially the hub.

06-09-2019 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I've checked over my rooms' scrolls, and didn't notice any errors. I don't particularly want to change the architecture of any of them, either. The one thing I can think of is to ask everyone else's opinion on whether I should make a challenge in The Problem of the Decoy (2W) for
since Chaco has proven that it's possible to clear the room that way with some very clever maneuvering. Since the description of that challenge would spoil the intended solution, I would imagine placing the scroll for it behind, or maybe directly on top of, a green door somewhere in the western side of the room (before any of the yellow doors).

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-09-2019 05:57 PM]
06-09-2019 at 05:54 PM
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100

File: Arkys Revenge - Fluffy Deception Compilation Edition.hold (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
So here's my updated entry.

I didn't really see anything substantial that needed changed with the room, so I simply added my own personal commentary to it (and a small aside regarding Arky's intended solution, I might make that a challenger if someone pulls that off). If anyone has a recommendation for what to change in the room, just say so.

06-09-2019 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Xindaris wrote:
...since Chaco has proven that it's possible to clear the room that way with some very clever...
I also did it
. Precisely because Arky said it was impossible, I immediately tried to get that to work.
Essentially, it's only about
. But perhaps I was just very lucky.
I'll find my demo and attach it here later, perhaps I found a new US.

But anyway, I do like the room regardless. Wouldn't change anything, wouldn't add challenge.

I guess there's just two types of players: those that heed Arkies advice, and those that don't. Don't think that one of the routes is more difficult than the other, the room simply seems to have two different solution types that appeal to different playing styles.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 06-09-2019 07:23 PM]
06-09-2019 at 07:21 PM
Dragon Fogel
Updated hold in first post.

-A blank line removed from River Crossing's scroll text. Is this enough to allow it to show up fully on a Mac?
-Northern scroll removed from Green Coffin of Death. I think I got rid of the darkness too, I don't work with lighting much so I'm not entirely sure.
-Commentary scrolls added to Fluffy Deception, side passage to Shallow Thoughts is slightly changed. I'm pretty sure there's no way to use the side passage to break the room, though I could make it more definitive by locking off the main area if you go through.
06-09-2019 at 07:30 PM
surrealcanine
Rank Points: 142

File: Arkys Revenge entry.hold (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation (+2)  
Some updates to my entries.

* I've added a challenge to clear Quest for Wisdom without entering the maze.
* Halph's Jailbreak now has a pair of challenges, one awarded for each solution.
* You Slay Me has some changes to the maze to prevent the player from being efficient enough to outrun the slayer. (If it's still possible.... well, I guess the tar technician responsible will be sacked.) The conquer tokens and force arrows have been swapped to allow for some actual optimization.
* Architect commentary has been added to all three rooms.
* Quest for Wisdom and Halph's Jailbreak now have variations attached as secret rooms just because I felt like making them.

06-11-2019 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Due to the fact that I'm asking Erik for voice acting on the scrolls, I'd rather not make additional rooms. Of course, anyone who wants to make a variant of their room for their own purposes is free to do so.
06-11-2019 at 06:42 AM
Dragon Fogel
This is just a reminder that there's only three days before I send off the scroll text. Please let me know before then if you want to change yours!
06-13-2019 at 01:07 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: Rabscuttles Arky Contest Hold Entry.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.

Updated my entry (Tarstuff Switch Tokens), mainly to remove unintended tar/gel solutions. The three sections should all have solutions that are all slightly different (Chaco's solution, though difficult to pull off, was too similar to gel/mud) and that are not doing the solution Arky says is impossible (i.e. running to the token and back, before it grows back to full)

So two main changes:
a) I added some orthosquares to make the tar/gel section longer, plus some others for symmetry. (It also increases the tar/mud distance, but I don't think I saw anyone's demos for that section who couldn't spare the extra turn.)

b) Removed the hot-tiles in the top two sections and added extra spikes in the mud/gel bit to really prevent baby chains.

I'd kind of like to mention the tiles and spikes in the Arky scroll (something like "These prevent the delver from standing still and filling the corridor with babies") but I think it makes it too long. Splitting the room into a series of three rooms could mean short scrolls in the later two rooms (a la the decoy potion rooms in TSS) If I don't find time to make a decision before the deadline then it's fine as it is.

06-13-2019 at 02:49 AM
MHighbrow
Rank Points: 153
I think I'm happy with my rooms as they are, but I'd like to know if anyone was bothered by the coloured lighting on the doors in Brained Roach. At least one person noted that the colours make it harder to see the highlighting on doors when you're checking plate/orb connections, and if that's a problem I can just get rid of the lighting.
06-13-2019 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92

File: Contribution to Arkys Revenge v2.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Here's an update to my entry "River Crossing". I've added an extra checkpoint, and made the area on the other side of the river bigger, to make the monster manipulation a bit less fiddly.
06-13-2019 at 07:47 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304

File: SEs Arkys Revenge.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Here's an update to Cliff Puff, which mostly makes it actually work. Thanks Fogel for the suggestion!
06-14-2019 at 12:54 AM
Rabscuttle
MHighbrow wrote:
I think I'm happy with my rooms as they are, but I'd like to know if anyone was bothered by the coloured lighting on the doors in Brained Roach. At least one person noted that the colours make it harder to see the highlighting on doors when you're checking plate/orb connections, and if that's a problem I can just get rid of the lighting.

I thought it was fine. But if you want to change it then different floor types can work (although not with the crumbly walls.) You could also use the lamp object thingies, which will colour code without interfering with the info highlights.
06-14-2019 at 02:36 AM
Dragon Fogel
I don't have any problem with the lighting in Brained Roach either.

Hold update in first post.
-Updated surrealcanine's rooms; secret rooms not added, but I left all commentary scrolls intact. You may want to adjust one of the Quest for Wisdom scrolls accordingly. Also, I replaced the stairway in Halph's Jailbreak with a seeding beacon so both challenges can be done without restoring.
-Updated River Crossing. Scroll has been adjusted as before to hopefully prevent the text overflow issue on Macs.
-Updated Tarstuff Switch Tokens.
-Updated Cliff Puff.
-Decorated a few more rooms in the passageways and tried to make the ones I already did look nicer. Only the bottom row is still empty rooms now. Also added a note indicating where the hold exit is.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 06-14-2019 03:47 AM]
06-14-2019 at 03:46 AM
Dragon Fogel
Just finished getting the scroll text (as it currently is) ready to pass along to Erik.

This is a reminder to make changes to the Arky scroll text promptly if you plan to do that!
06-14-2019 at 04:45 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
While I think my text wasn't the best, I've decided to leave it as is. The hint scrolls do not need to be voiced.

This is specifically with reference to HigherArky. My other two entries are fine.

06-14-2019 at 09:20 AM
Dragon Fogel
Reminder: If you want to make changes to your Arky scrolls, please let me know no later than tomorrow! On Sunday morning I'll be sending whatever I have off to Erik - though I could leave a room or two out of the script temporarily if someone informs me they need more time.

Obviously other changes to rooms can still be made, including to non-Arky scrolls if you have any.

Thanks again to all participants for making great rooms!
06-15-2019 at 04:31 AM
Dragon Fogel
Last warning! In a few hours I'll head to sleep. If I wake up and see someone left a comment about their Arky scrolls, I'll still be able to deal with it - otherwise, we're sticking with what we've got right now.
06-16-2019 at 03:48 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, I sent the text along to Erik. So that Arky text is staying the same. Of course, other scroll text is fine to change.
06-16-2019 at 04:47 PM
Rabscuttle
Just had a quick peek. You Slay Me has shifted up one square so 1S3W needs to have its western exit adjusted.

The modified rooms also need to have the renaming characters added back in.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-25-2019 02:23 PM]
06-25-2019 at 02:23 PM
Dragon Fogel
I completely overlooked that. Would have noticed when adding voice clips, since my plan was to reuse those NPCs for that (at least where possible) but I can take care of this now, and it also served as an excuse to decorate the last few hallway rooms.

Updated hold in the first post. Only changes were adding back the NPCs, adjusting the You Slay Me hallway, and finishing the decorating (unless somebody dislikes one of my hallway rooms so much that they think I should completely change it). I think I got all the room titles, let me know if I didn't.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 06-25-2019 03:19 PM]
06-25-2019 at 03:16 PM
Dragon Fogel
Voices are added! A big round of applause to Erik for recording all of these.

In addition, I included a silly feature where you can make Arky's sound effect play whenever you enter a puzzle room. Thanks to mrimer for providing it.

I did catch a few lines where Erik's wording was slightly different from the scroll, though. Emphasis added where the lines are different.
Problem of the Decoy: Scroll says "die to the fire traps", Erik says "die by the fire traps"
Arky's Impossible (TM) Construct Room: Scroll says "must be dropped by delver or construct", Erik says "must be dropped by a delver or construct"
Halph's Jailbreak: Scroll says "I have captured a prisoner", Erik says "I have captured the prisoner".
Shallow Thoughts: Scroll says "But it is far cleverer", Erik says "it is far cleverer". It sounds like he might have cut out the "But" inadvertently.

I'll leave the decision on whether to ask Erik to rerecord or just change the scroll text up to the respective architects. In the case of my own room, I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll just ask him to record the word "But" separately.
07-01-2019 at 05:58 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I'm fine with changing the text to match the speech in Problem of the Decoy. It means basically the same thing, so if it's more how Erik felt Arky would word that it's alright with me. Besides my obsessive nature wanting the text to match the words exactly whenever possible.

Here are some links to Things!

07-01-2019 at 03:13 PM
surrealcanine
Rank Points: 142

File: Arkys Revenge entry.hold (10 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
One more revision to my entries:
- Removed a question in a "Quest for Wisdom" scroll that would have led into a secret room.
- Fixed the first Arky scroll in "Halph's Jailbreak" to be consistent with the recording, also added a new commentary scroll to signify the change.
- Filled "You Slay Me" with cracked orbs to keep the player from outrunning the Slayer. Also added a new commentary scroll. (Thanks, Dragon Fogel!)

07-01-2019 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Whoops, apparently the hold is too big for me to attach now. I thought that might be the case but rather than any actual notification, the attachment just didn't go through, so I didn't notice last night.

I'll need permission to attach a larger file, so I'll try to get that sorted out. In the meantime, here are the changes that will be in the next version once I can upload it:
-Scrolls have been adjusted to match Erik's text (except in Shallow Thoughts; I plan to just ask him to record one word, which hopefully won't be a big deal)
-surrealcanine's rooms have been updated, and this time I made sure I put the characters back in afterwards.
07-01-2019 at 10:48 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Whoops, apparently the hold is too big for me to attach now. I thought that might be the case but rather than any actual notification, the attachment just didn't go through, so I didn't notice last night.

I'll need permission to attach a larger file, so I'll try to get that sorted out.
Fixed that for you :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-02-2019 at 06:04 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Arky's Revenge Contest Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com