Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Don't Play This Dumb Hold (Hodgepodge)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (9 votes)
σ 1.56
Author Name:SDK
Submitted By:disoriented
Hold Name:Don't Play This Dumb Hold
Theme:Hodgepodge
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:55
Number of Monsters:528
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Dont Play This Dumb Hold.hold (4 MB)
Downloaded 401 times.
License: Other
icon Don't Play This Dumb Hold  
Rooms, rooms, and some more rooms. Maybe even a guest appearance by a special forum member.
10-14-2018 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Don't Play This Dumb Hold (+1)  
Man, What a disappointment! From the hold and level title I was expecting a truly stupid experience here, and instead all I got was a bunch of original, fascinating, and frankly awesome linchpin puzzles. The hold description reads "don't waste your time," but unfortunately I can't recommend that you follow that at all. It really pains me to say this, disoriented. You're a really swell guy and all. But I think you've completely failed to make a dumb hold here. I had way too much fun with this.

I mean seriously. On top of the terrific puzzles that hit that sweet 6.5 brain spot that leave the player feeling super clever, you also included some great original aesthetics and hilarious self deprecating humor. How the heck am I supposed to have a bad time playing this with all of that!?!? And don't get me started on the absolutely hilarious, gut-busting, must-see ending! You know what, disoriented? I'm sorry but I have to say it. This is one of the best holds I've played in quite a while, probably my favorite this year. Sorry folks, if you want a miserable DROD experience you'll have to look elsewhere.

10-14-2018 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Don't Play This Dumb Hold (0)  
Note to disoriented. It looks like there's a small problem with scripting in 6N3E. If you clear the room, hit the seeding beacon, then reenter, the guards don't spawn, only the brain does. Looks like an "End" command is to blame here. Probably easily fixed by replacing "End" with "Goto" and a label at the end of the script.

10-28-2018 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2383

File: Dont Play This Dumb Hold.hold (4 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
I took out the End command. Hopefully it works better (in my testing it did). New version attached.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-29-2018 06:08 AM]
10-29-2018 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Do the HAs have to approve this update before it is pushed out?

11-09-2018 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Yes.... and I now realize you sent this request to me and I never did anything about it. Sorry!

I did a diff, and the only issue I see is that the movement order of all the scripted characters changed in that room. Is that something you can fix?

11-09-2018 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
I was careful to ensure the movement order remained the same for the scripted characters, relative to each other. The only real change is that the End command should be removed from every character’s script.

11-09-2018 at 07:50 PM
Schik
Click here to view the secret text

Is the one that shifted the order of all the others not important? I don't have a working copy of DROD at the moment and can't even check.

11-09-2018 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Don't Play This Dumb Hold (+2)  
I'm looking at the currently-published version of the room.

It looks like the move order shift is simply that the brain is #2 instead of #49. Since the brain doesn't move and there's nothing that could target the brain and take its move order into account, this shouldn't affect demos.

Although if you wanted to be sure, disoriented could just delete the brain and re-add it, and then you can confirm that all the move order conflicts disappear in that version.
11-09-2018 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Ah, I didn't even notice the one that went from 49 to 2 was Monster, not Character. Okay. I guess I can just update this.

11-09-2018 at 10:33 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Don't Play This Dumb Hold (+2)  
Just finished this hold and I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. Despite the seemingly-thrown-together-in-hurry look of the rooms and the whole level the puzzles themselves were of high quality, very accessible and mostly revolving around a single lynchpin. I learned quite a few new mechanics this way.

I also learned that my brain refuses to accept ice creation as something that you can use for your benefit.

I enjoyed the hold thoroughly with just a few small exceptions! My main complaint would be moving between the two halves (more like between 9/10 and 1/10 of the level), which required some needless legwork.
Another thing was the secret area's puzzles were a bit of a letdown as they didn't feel as tight as the rest:
Click here to view the secret text

Oh and the mastery area? It's probably the best thing you'll see this year, guaranteed O:-

Very much recommended, lots of fun, approachable challenge, good for medium players.

Rating: 9/10
Difficulty: 5/10

[Last edited by skell at 11-27-2018 03:46 PM]
11-27-2018 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Forum member ThemsAllTook has recorded a Let’s Play video series of himself playing through this hold.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBk6-z6v3pDLJI93eiiWFBPZ1K2dypXzV

12-16-2018 at 05:35 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Don't Play This Dumb Hold (Hodgepodge) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com