Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : S A N D (Beached water skippers)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 592
IP: Logged

File: S A N D.hold (14.9 KB)
Downloaded 5 times.
License: Public Domain
icon S A N D (0)  
A small (2 levels containing 18 rooms) hold themed around water skippers stuck on land. The second level also introduces Water Barrels, custom pushables which turn floor under them into shallow water when destroyed. Also there's a badly outdated star wars joke which inspired the whole thing.

I'd rate the first level's difficulty at medium-hard, the second a bit easier for introducing a new element, except for the top row where I put all the "serious" puzzles. Anyway, want testing for the usual purposes: Fun, checkpoint placement, broken enforcement.

The only specific question I can think of right now is the second level's 2N2E should have some visual clue for where the player isn't allowed to step because of the water skippers, or if how it is right now is OK.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-12-2018 03:12 AM]
07-09-2018 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
davidatk100
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: S A N D (+1)  
Hi Xindaris, I played through the first level and thoroughly enjoyed it. Overall I thought it was quite well polished. Manipulating stationary monsters is a clever idea which seems simple at first but many rooms were quit challenging.

Some spoilers below. I wasn't sure if I should secret them so I secreted everything :facepalm:.

1S1W:

1S2W:

1S:

1S1E:

1S2E:

1E:

1N:

Secret room

I look forward to playing the rest :)
07-09-2018 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: S A N D (0)  
Glad you like it so far! Usually I put a long stream of comments in a secret just to make it easier to scroll down the thread later; otherwise it's not a big deal. Response to specific comments:

EDIT: Uploaded new version with fixes mentioned in above secret to the first post.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-09-2018 05:04 PM]
07-09-2018 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
davidatk100
icon Re: S A N D (+1)  
Hi Xindaris,

I had a go at the second level Not Sand. As with the first level, I struggled through most of the rooms and eventually enjoyed the solution to most rooms. Note that I didn't download the updated level.

Overall I really enjoyed both levels :thumbsup
07-11-2018 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
Thank you again! If you don't mind, and if you have them, I would like to see your demos for the hold just to be sure you didn't break anything without realizing it. I'm not too worried about using less water barrels than given in some rooms, just don't want anything to be overly trivial to figure out.

The way the order of events within a turn plays out makes it basically impossible to fix the issue with explosions (and also firetraps) "activating" the water barrel effect a turn later. Basically the problem is that explosions and firetraps happen after all entities act, and the thing responsible for making shallow water appear is an entity, and so its action is "trapped" inside of that part of the turn when entities are acting. I can add something like "Sometimes the water needs an extra turn to fall, depending on what destroyed the barrel" to the scroll in the Entrance if you think it'll help.

Also, I take it that you were able to understand the "forbidden" tiles of 2N2E without any extra visual guides, then?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-11-2018 03:25 PM]
07-11-2018 at 03:18 PM
davidatk100

File: Davidatk100 S A N D all demos.demo (17.1 KB)
Downloaded 2 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: S A N D (+2)  
I don't understand what you mean about the "forbidden" tiles of 2N2E. Which tiles are you talking about?

I've attached all my demos for both levels. I didn't find any rooms trivial (except the entrance rooms).

Adding the extra note to the Entrance scroll is a good idea.

07-12-2018 at 01:28 AM
Xindaris
Thanks so much for the demos! Found a couple of things to change:

-Your solution to Sand 1W pointed out to me that I'd accidentally sort of trivialized the room. I added one more tile of "wall" on either side to fix that.
-Your solution to Not Sand 2N1E showed me a way to do the north side with only two barrels (I already knew how to do the south with two barrels), so I made a challenge for using only 4 total :)

(Update in first post)

Anyway, what I'm talking about with Not Sand 2N2E is just the danger zone where you can't walk because of the water skippers. As mentioned in the first post I had some concern about the player being able to see where he can and can't walk.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-12-2018 03:19 AM]
07-12-2018 at 03:16 AM
davidatk100
I understand now. I think Not Sand 2N2E was easy enough to navigate so the danger zone doesn't need to be marked. I got killed plenty of times, often on the same square but I was quick enough with the Undo button and most of the time I was working towards the solution. Having said all that, it might be nice to have the danger zone marked. I turned on Puzzle Mode for this room and several others which helped.
07-12-2018 at 03:43 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : S A N D (Beached water skippers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com