Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Left and Right
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Romain673
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged

File: Left and Right.hold (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Left and Right (0)  
Hello,
This is a scripted level.

The idea :
Each turn you have only 2 possibility :
* wait ;
* move : going left if you are at the right, and going right if you are at the left ;
* (or press the special command for getting tp at the start of the level)

So, with these limitations, the hold is forced to be easy.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 12-09-2017 06:36 PM]
09-28-2017 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Romain673
icon Re: Left and Right (0)  
I would like some help with one specific script : 'Roach Duo' (2S1E) where the three units doesn't do exactly the same thing, despite the fact they got the same script.

And I know there is actually a minor bug where you can be tp on a wall when you finished a level on the edge of the map.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 09-28-2017 03:34 AM]
09-28-2017 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
A nice hold. I 'currently' don't have any comments, but there has some suggestions.

Some suggestions :
Click here to view the secret text

For the Roach Duo problem I don't know why that thing happen.

Sorry for my annoying 'english'.

09-28-2017 at 05:26 AM
Romain673
Nice tips for (10,25), i will do it.

And for Roach Queens, what kind of indicator you want ? They aleady face north when they wait a direction, you want more indicator than that ?
Like an indicator when there is two move left before they need a direction ?
09-28-2017 at 03:24 PM
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
Romain673 wrote:
Nice tips for (10,25), i will do it.

And for Roach Queens, what kind of indicator you want ? They aleady face north when they wait a direction, you want more indicator than that ?
Like an indicator when there is two move left before they need a direction ?
Well, you can show the threat clock with Set var "_ThreatClock" = 2, hide it with Set var "_ThreatClock" = 1, or make the appearance of threat clock default by Set var "_ThreatClock" = 0 (look at help by pressing F1 and find "character script commands")

If you want script it in "middle character", then you can use GoSub and Return to check whenever there is has Roach 5/6 or not.

Copied from this topic.

Here the code you need implemented to the "middle character" script :

Sorry if there has words you don't understand.

09-29-2017 at 09:00 AM
Romain673
Second third posted.
Added 2S1E, 3S1E, 4S1W, and 5S1W.
And I changed some things on my script.

Would like a review of 4S1W and 5S1W. It's some optionnal level, but with a good difficulty, but perhaps too much based on guess.
(if you want test a level and use the 'build levels', just add a '-Global Script' on the level you want to test)

And I have finish the script, except for 6S. So you can try to find bug on the script without passing by the end.
For example, I didn't knew Fegundo could pass on fire trap. There is perhaps some others things like that.

@Resert On : I have done what you asked. Thanks.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 11-29-2017 05:32 AM]
11-29-2017 at 05:29 AM
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638

File: Left and Right.demo (17.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
I have attached demos for you to check. I only tested out one role so far (evil eye) but will try to test out others soon.

The rooms you asked about:
4S1W was tricky. I was able to see that i needed to use the queen and the golem to block and was able to figure out how to do it eventually, but it was quite tricky.

5S1W was actually very nice. I was able to use logic to figure out how to time things. I like this room a lot.

General comments:
The monsters re-spawn every time you enter a room. You can add the following script to the beginning of each character to fix this (If you wan't to include seeding beacons in the hold you;ll have to modify this a bit.)
 If ...
       Wait for clean room
    Disappear
    End
 If End

In 2S1W you have a threat clock to inform the player what turn it is which is very nice for the queens. Unfortunately you can not see it if you are on the left tile due to the scroll. I'm not sure what can be done about this though since the scroll is necessary to explain the behavior.

In 6S the scripting is not letting me move south from the top row of the room and I can not get to the exit.

12-02-2017 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Romain673
The role change nothing to the hold, it's just cosmetic.

For 2S1W, I think I will remove the scroll after X turns. Guess it's better to have the timer instead of the scroll.

Thanks for the review.
12-02-2017 at 03:14 PM
Romain673
2 small questions before showing a last version here (I hope tomorrow).

1) Can I use the 'Wait 9999 turn(s)' and except the player to not use more than 9999 turn(s) ? :D

2) Is there a way to teleport the player to another room ? I think there is a teleport to room entrance but that's all, right ?
12-07-2017 at 05:14 AM
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
1) I suppose you could, but what use would that have? If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to set up a wait condition that will never be satisfied. Why bother having the wait in the first place? Maybe I need more context to understand what you are trying to do here.

2) You can place a level entrance in a room and then teleport the player to that level entrance using scripting. Level entrance won't have any effect on the room, unless starting there instead of at a room edge is important somehow.

12-07-2017 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Romain673
1) It's a moment on the script where i want him to stop (or doing nothing) and start again (from the start) if the player leave and enter in the room.

2) ty.
---
So, the final version is here. I will submit it in some days.
I have remove 3 levels on the hold, since it seem repetitive (the only new level is 4S1E).
I have change the green wall by a blue wall on 5S, initially i wanted to let the player finish really fastly the level, but it seem easy, so forcing them to finish all the level is perhaps better. I would like your opinion.
Added some 'giant tunnel' from up to down and down to up, few usefull, but I wanted that :P
I haven't tested it completely, but I will do it if nobody send me a demo.

And so, there is no gramatical error on the hold ?
And I have no idea about the difficulty/brain.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 12-09-2017 12:12 AM]
12-07-2017 at 04:02 PM
Romain673
New version with only minor changes.
I found an alternate solution for 2S1W, where you doesn't need to block with the queen. I hesitate between do nothing, force the queen to block, or create a challenge.

And I have another problem with Queen : they move every 6turns, so actually they wait for a direction at turn 6, 12, 18, 24, and 30. But they move left at the start of the room.
If I add a 'Face North' at the start of a level (like before), they will wait a direction at turn 1, 7, 13, 19, 25. Not really some 'good numbers'.
Last possibility, I can change the timer, and don't let the timer advance when the queen wait for a direction, so they will wait for a direction at turns 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30...
I take any advice. All solution seems good for me with advantage and disadvantages. :P

Else :
- Corrected again 5S, now it should work,
- Removed wall on 4S1E,
- Added one missing golem in 3S1E,
- Corrected one tunnel.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 12-09-2017 12:14 AM]
12-09-2017 at 12:11 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Left and Right
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com