Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Debugging Mode (An Unusual Trick?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
IP: Logged

File: Debugging Mode 101.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Debugging Mode (0)  
Anyone edit, currently have 2 completed levels, one uncompleted. Please check the rights about my theory in "Debugging Mode on Bridge".

[Last edited by Resert On at 09-20-2017 09:34 AM]
09-20-2017 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
icon Re: Debugging Mode (0)  
Maybe I need extra post for attach "Debugging Mode on Master Wall".

09-20-2017 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4569
If you want to add a new level, just replace the attachment in the first post -- that's where people will usually look for the latest version. However, it's recommended that you don't use master wall as a puzzle element; master wall responds to metagame data (whether or not you've ever completed all secrets), and to make this work, the master wall had to be given certain "fudges" that make it awkward. In any case, it's meant to be an element outside normal puzzle space.

Now, comments on the rooms:

Pressure Plates: Interesting examination of pressure plates that start out depressed. However, 1N and 1N1E are way too fiddly because of the awkwardness of predicting snakes' movements several turns in advance. Also, if a snake strays onto the plate in 1N, there isn't an accessible checkpoint, so you have to start over. 1N1E has no checkpoints at all.

1E: The puzzle itself is reasonable, but has an unintended solution: Beethro can step on (11,26) himself. You've created a "Holo-Wall" custom character to act as an obstacle on a pressure plate, but this is what the "obstacle" element (next to fuses on the third tab) already does.

1W: Pretty decent roach horde room. Needs a checkpoint around (7,11) that you can tag in between waves.

Tunnels: Exploration of the interaction of temporal clones and tunnels. Needs proofreading. (I could help with this, but I'd need the rooms to be finished first, so that it's clear exactly what you want to explain in each room.)

1E doesn't require any mechanics beyond those taught in Entrance. Just have the temporal clone wait near the south of the arena and move north, then push him up to the tunnel.

1S1W could really do with checkpoints in the arena. Temporal clones can tag checkpoints too!

As for bridges, you're right about the mechanics, and this can be interesting if you use builders to change what tiles are adjacent to a bridge. Don't forget to explore bridges and shallow water, too!

09-20-2017 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Nuntar wrote:
master wall responds to metagame data (whether or not you've ever completed all secrets), and to make this work, the master wall had to be given certain "fudges" that make it awkward. In any case, it's meant to be an element outside normal puzzle space.
What problems I got if I use them? I planning to place the "Debugging on Master Wall" level entrance behind master wall.

[Last edited by Resert On at 09-22-2017 12:19 AM]
09-22-2017 at 12:18 AM
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1296
IIRC, demos don't record if you enter a master wall - or, at least, the spider rejects them. The rooms would have to be unscorable. If the room is possible without stepping on the master wall, it would be silently unsolvable - any demo that involved stepping on the master wall would be invalid. But I'd also say it's just bad form to use it in puzzles.

If there were any scoreable rooms with master wall in them (that aren't accessible until mastering the hold), the hold would be rejected by the HAs.

Beyond that, dropped master walls are almost identical as an element to shallow water (wading). Only seep can move in master wall; only waterskippers (and wraithwings) can move on shallow water. There's about half a dozen other differences; they're not (in my opinion) sufficiently different enough to be worth exploring.
09-22-2017 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Debugging Mode (An Unusual Trick?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com