Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (+1)  
Version number: GatEB 5.1.0.6521

How to recreate:
1) Go to room editor.
2) Click to create a new room next to an existing one.
3) The room will appear 8 rooms to the south of its intended position.

Intended behavior: Room should be created NOT 8 rooms south.

-JeffRayGun

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-24-2016 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670

File: Suicidal Guard.hold (916 bytes)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (+1)  
Intrigued by this report, I did some digging, and while I couldn't replicate Jeff's issue exactly, I did find something that will most likely be indicative of the issue here.

There's a problem with copying holds made by other people in that the room co-ordinates get totally messed up when you make your own copy!

REPRODUCTION STEPS:

1) Import hold attached to this post.
2) Try to add a room, and you will be prompted to make a copy of the hold.
3) In new copy of hold, the new room is placed at coordinates 1410066258 Times South 50 Times East! (The original room's coordinates are similarly messed up!)

Worth noting that the level entrance location is missing from the original room in the new copy, which probably explains the wacky coordinates?

EDIT: When setting a new main level entrance to fix the dodgy coordinates, I got an error beep, but unfortunately there is nothing in my drod.err. Unless Steam has its own drod.err in a different location?

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-24-2016 08:23 PM]
09-24-2016 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (0)  
The Caravel files for DROD steam appeared in My Documents for me. Might be a different place for you though.

Also, I get this when trying to display the Suicidal Guard copy on the Manage Location screen, and then a crash:

Assertion error in line 1297 of .\CurrentGame.cpp: "this->pEntrance"

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-24-2016 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (+1)  
reyll3 in chat figured out that the 8 rooms South issue happens when you create a new room by clicking in the mini-map in the room editor. This happens with your own holds too rather than issues with imported holds you've made a copy of.

EDIT: Wow Jeff mentioned this in his opening post and I missed it. Doh!

It looks like there may be two separate issues in this thread now, sorry!

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-24-2016 08:34 PM]
09-24-2016 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
The Caravel files for DROD steam appeared in My Documents for me. Might be a different place for you though.

Yep, there it is.

Here was the assertion error I got when setting a new level entrance as the main entrance:

Assertion error in line 3631 of .\EditRoomScreen.cpp: "pOldMainEntrance"

Can also confirm that when going to the Hold Management screen when one of these billion coordinate holds is selected DROD will crash with the error Jeff got. Can no longer delete these holds now :p

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-24-2016 08:37 PM]
09-24-2016 at 08:33 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (+2)  
Thanks, all. I think this is one and the same core issue.

We have a 32-bit integer overflow.

In the Steam player .dat files, starting IDs are 100M. When multiplied by 100, these roll over the 4.2B limit (multiple times). This causes the offset.

Wow...I'm surprised this issue did not come up once in our past year of testing. Sheesh. :?

I need to think of how to fix this...

Idea #1: Using 10M instead of 100M for the starting ID would work. That would require deleting all of your local .dat files and letting the game recreate them starting at this value. Can we think of a cleaner solution?

Idea #2: have a start-up step that looks for this situation and fixes up the level IDs and room Y coordinates automatically. Could be error prone and would take a good amount of development and validation to get precisely right.

I prefer #1.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-25-2016 07:34 PM]
09-25-2016 at 06:43 PM
mrimer
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south (+3)  
I've uploaded a fix on Windows.

May I request everyone export your player progress for Gunthro, if you'd like, then delete your five local .dat files
(located in "C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\Caravel\drod-5_0\")
and then start up the new version from scratch and confirm these issues are now all fixed?

Thanks, and my apologies for the inconvenience :blush

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-25-2016 07:14 PM]
09-25-2016 at 07:13 PM
kieranmillar
The good news is that the issues are fixed in 5.1.0.6530 after deleting all of the dat files.

The bad news is that Steam Cloud kept trying to "help" by readding all of the dat files I kept deleting and so the problem remained, but I disabled it and then all was fine.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-25-2016 10:00 PM]
09-25-2016 at 10:00 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
There is also now a worse problem: player saves made from any GatEB Steam version doesn't import properly in the new version at all. To reproduce the problem:

Start afresh. Go through a room or two in GatEB, and confirm that the Restore button is active. Export player.

Now start afresh again, and try to import the player you just exported. You'll see that no progress has been imported whatsoever, and the Restore button is not available.

(I've tested this for exported players using both the old and new .dat files and they both don't work. TSS exported player seems to be fine though)

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 09-26-2016 03:25 AM]
09-26-2016 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
uncopy2002 wrote:
There is also now a worse problem: player saves made from any GatEB Steam version doesn't import properly in the new version at all. To reproduce the problem:

Start afresh. Go through a room or two in GatEB, and confirm that the Restore button is active. Export player.

Now start afresh again, and try to import the player you just exported. You'll see that no progress has been imported whatsoever, and the Restore button is not available.

(I've tested this for exported players using both the old and new .dat files and they both don't work. TSS exported player seems to be fine though)
Hmm...if export/import for GatEB doesn't work for either old or new .dats, then this might have been a preexisting problem. I'll track it down asap, but it might take me some time. Meanwhile, as a workaround, you can keep playing GatEB using your original .dat files if you don't plan to use the level editor during that time.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2016 11:26 PM]
09-26-2016 at 04:41 PM
mrimer
I've tracked down the Steam-specific issue where demos and player progress in an official hold do not get imported properly. I'll work on a fix. Please note this isn't a GatEB 5.0-specific issue. The root cause is in the way the Steam version manages the DLC.

10-30-2016 at 11:03 PM
mrimer
mrimer wrote:
I've tracked down the Steam-specific issue where demos and player progress in an official hold do not get imported properly. I'll work on a fix. Please note this isn't a GatEB 5.0-specific issue. The root cause is in the way the Steam version manages the DLC.
I've made a fix for this and verified I can now import demos and a player profile correctly to the Steam version of GatEB.

I've uploaded the fix for Windows, and Trick will fix the Linux version presently. I'll have to tinker with the Mac version a bit longer to get this fixed.

10-31-2016 at 04:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: Rooms created in room editor appear 8 rooms south
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com