Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind DROD Race 2
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged
icon Blind DROD Race 2 (+1)  
Since there seems to be some interest in having another of these, I'll offer myself up to run this.

Anyone who is interested in making rooms: tell me and I'll invite you to a beta board.
Anyone who wants to stream post here.

I'll try to shoot for making the rooms slightly more lenient and less dependent on intricacies of brains this time around. Otherwise, a similar difficulty and length is probably what I'd aim for, unless we don't want that.

The current plan is to host this on Local Time:08-20-2016 at 12:00 AM. Meaning we will be racing in negative 399 weeks, 3 days

I'm not sure what time would be best because I have pretty limited time over the two weekends following the next, so I might not be around to watch, but otherwise, I guess we'd want the competition to be a bit earlier compared to the last one, but still on a weekend.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 08-11-2016 05:25 PM]
08-03-2016 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (0)  
I'd like to try streaming this time :)

I think the consensus of the post-discussion last time was that it should probably be a bit shorter, because it gets really difficult to focus after a while, so maybe 3/4 of the length of the last one? I'm not sure. Everything else sounds good to me.

I'm actually relatively flexible with dates at the moment.
08-03-2016 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1530
I'm interested in making rooms!

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

08-03-2016 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Xindaris wrote:
I'm interested in making rooms!
It looks like you need to go to the CNet tab on your profile and make yourself available to beta test holds. I'll try and invite you again later today.

08-03-2016 at 03:54 PM
Xindaris
I clicked the checkbox and then "submit", and got a 404 page. But going back to my profile, the checkbox is now checked. Sorry about that.

08-03-2016 at 03:58 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
I think I'd like to join the race.

Well, if the timezone allows, anyway. I'm the one living on a GMT+8 which is at that last corner of the triangle.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 08-04-2016 03:47 AM]
08-04-2016 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
I'd like to try being a runner. I'll have to see if I can get Twitch to like DROD and my Linux machine. I'll do some tests and get back to you.

08-04-2016 at 06:11 AM
blorx1
Good to see we have a lot of interest in running the race this time around.

I think we have enough interest in architecture between Xindaris, disoriented and myself. We're still getting set up, so the hold might not be done for a bit. If anyone is interested in testing the hold for difficulty or workingness, feel free to message me.

Obviously when we'll run this is the biggest issue. My own schedule is rather inflexible for the next couple weekends, so if the one time I can make isn't good for the racers, then I'll have someone else post the hold and I can watch recordings later.

For me the best/only date is August 19th (and I can handle any time). I was originally thinking of 11 PM GMT, but that might be bad for everyone since it's late in Europe, Americans might be at work and uncopy might still be asleep, so feel free to post preferences, but chances I'll try to hold the race over that weekend (barring conflicts).

08-04-2016 at 06:41 AM
IQubic
I'm free for the rest of the summer, except August 20 - 28. Any time on any other date will work. If I can get my stream to work.

EDIT: I can get my stream working. If I am allowed, I would like to be a runner/racer.

[Last edited by IQubic at 08-05-2016 05:36 AM]
08-04-2016 at 09:57 PM
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
Sign me up as a level maker if you have room. I think I can think of some simple rooms in a few weeks.

If not that, I'll be happy to test them out a bit.

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 08-07-2016 05:32 AM]
08-07-2016 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I'm pretty sure that we'll have enough rooms, but I'll invite you in a little bit as a tester once we get close to having a finished candidate level so that we can get a good estimate of difficulty/time.

08-07-2016 at 05:51 AM
blorx1
I haven't heard too many complaints about my suggested time, so I'll finalize the time as August 19th 11PM GMT or
Local Time:08-20-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Meaning we will be racing in negative 399 weeks, 3 days

Post your stream handles here if you wish to race.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 08-11-2016 05:26 PM]
08-11-2016 at 05:09 PM
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+13)  
With a lot of caffeine before this should be possible. lutetiumpotassiumarsenic
08-14-2016 at 09:56 PM
IQubic
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+9)  
I am going to be running this hold. Find my stream at: IQubic

[Last edited by IQubic at 08-15-2016 09:56 PM : Fixing a link]
08-15-2016 at 09:55 PM
uncopy2002
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+21)  
My stream handle: themastermap. Just finished stream tests so I can get it set up instantly when the time comes.
08-16-2016 at 04:35 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+17)  
Why not, the first one was fun. Looks like I managed to set things up, so I can actually record this time. Stream will be at this LINK
08-19-2016 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Just like last time, me and Crimson will be doing a commentary stream for this race! You can find the stream at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pwXB4crNEs

We will start at 6:30PM EST, or 30 minutes before the start of the race, for some pre-race commentary!

Hoping to see many of you there!
-Jeff_Ray ===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-19-2016 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Darkmatt
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+9)  
I learned of this literally 40 minutes before the race but I'll gladly gofast.

https://www.twitch.tv/darkmatt717 Here's my stream. I'll be your mystery surprise racer for this contest.
08-19-2016 at 11:25 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+13)  
08-19-2016 at 11:32 PM
blorx1

File: Blind Race 2 Ready Set Go.hold (22.2 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's the hold:

08-19-2016 at 11:58 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2383

File: update.png (180.7 KB)
Downloaded 488 times.
Official results. This was a lot of fun.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-20-2016 02:04 AM]
08-20-2016 at 01:57 AM
uncopy2002
I originally thought I'd be at the 3rd place or something after knowing the final contestants. Turns out I somehow got the 1st! To be honest I was quite excited knowing I was the winner.

10/10 Good game will race again
08-20-2016 at 02:10 AM
uncopy2002
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+2)  
Comments on the race rooms, which I think guaranteed for a separate post:

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 08-20-2016 07:43 AM]
08-20-2016 at 07:39 AM
blorx1
Just a note about Frozen Abyss Entrance:

08-20-2016 at 07:59 AM
Lucky Luc
My footage on youtube

You can also find my warm up streams on the channel in case you missed them and want to watch them.

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 08-20-2016 09:29 AM]
08-20-2016 at 09:26 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
uncopy2002 wrote:
Atoll:
1S: This room surprisingly stumped Doom for a whole while. I think the firetrap at 29,25 pretty much gives away the solution, but I guess not. By the way, all the mimic potions are not needed anyway, you can just use the clone alone to push the WW on the firetrap.
Tunnel vision is bound to happen a few times when you try to do everything fast without thinking as much as usually :lol. There was small time loss like that all over the hold. I bet that's why LPers occasionally miss trivial stuff too, since some of your attention is split to commentary.
Preparation:
1S: This room is definitely much better than the original version (which requires you to stand on a door).
I did the victory lap rooms this morning and can confirm that you don't need to stand on a door.

Incidentally I wasn't expecting there to be quite this much variance in difficulty. The first race was more balanced in that regard. I just started with the closest level, without realizing I was doing the hardest rooms of the hold where you'd most likely want to use the jokers (so the level order wasn't meant as a handicap like someone thought on the commentary stream)

My footage is visible on Twitch for two weeks I believe (here under past broadcasts tab). I'll consider putting it on Youtube later...
08-20-2016 at 11:16 AM
uncopy2002

File: blindrace2_splittimes.png (119.7 KB)
Downloaded 318 times.
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+3)  
The counting is complete! We hereby announce the split times of each room for the 4 racers who crossed the finish line!

(Inspired by disoriented's well-formatted excel file for Variation)

Overall speaking, our performance in disoriented's level and blorx's level were pretty close, and it's Xindaris's level which became the tiebreaker (especially Entrance and 1S1E). Well, who could've guessed that?

Incidentally, nobody discovered Abyss 1S1E secret, and Preparation 2S/1S1E challenge confused a few of us.
08-20-2016 at 04:50 PM
Xindaris
uncopy2002 wrote: 1S: This room is definitely much better than the original version (which requires you to stand on a door).
You thought you needed to stand on a door? When? Why???

08-20-2016 at 05:03 PM
uncopy2002
Xindaris wrote:
uncopy2002 wrote: 1S: This room is definitely much better than the original version (which requires you to stand on a door).
You thought you needed to stand on a door? When? Why???

To lure the bottom golem up, in a safely manner. Unless the right part steps on a door, he's at least 4 tiles away from the bottom golem, and the lower part can get at most 4 tiles away from the golem, which means it won't go up.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 08-20-2016 05:09 PM]
08-20-2016 at 05:09 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Blind DROD Race 2 (+2)  
To clarify the situation for those who didn't watch the race: The reason disoriented's screencap (from Jeff and Crimson's commentary stream) awards 3rd place to mxvladi, while uncopy's table has it as a tie, is that mxvladi finished sooner than Luc (by 19 seconds), but Luc had some trouble starting and his in-game time was over a minute faster than mxvladi.

Since no-one has linked it yet, here is the commentary stream on Youtube.

uncopy dismissed the hold completion stats too quickly for them to be visible on the video, but his completion time was 52:05.

08-20-2016 at 05:13 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind DROD Race 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com