Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need some help with dialogue options ((Require a hand with scripting.))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fix-It Fixen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged

File: Dialogue options.jpg (330.5 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Need some help with dialogue options (0)  
I'm currently building quite a large hold, and I have a character in there that is to give some exposition at your character's own leisure. Thus, I thought, dialogue options.

Yet, I'd like to have the dialogue choice box pop back up after each choice, for easier navigation of dialogue. I can't seem to fix this. Included is a screenshot of the script as it is.

06-04-2016 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Need some help with dialogue options (+3)  
What you'll want to do is put the first part of your script after another Label, like maybe "Label Start", and at the end of each bunch of dialogue (before the next answer's label) put a "Goto Start". You'll also need to put some Wait #'s somewhere to make the cutscene between bringing up the question and bringing it up again be long enough to show all of the speech. You want the number of turns waited multiplied by the time per turn (the number you have after Cutscene that initiates the cutscene) to be greater than or equal to the sum of all the numbers of milliseconds the speeches last for (which it shows after "Speech whoever" in parentheses on each speech command). And there should of course be a "That's all for now" answer to the question, which goes to another new Label that exits the cutscene gracefully with a Cutscene 0. (EDIT: on closer inspection I presume that's what "Goodbye" does anyway)

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-04-2016 01:28 AM]
06-04-2016 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fix-It Fixen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Need some help with dialogue options (+1)  
Xindaris wrote:
What you'll want to do is put the first part of your script after another Label, like maybe "Label Start", and at the end of each bunch of dialogue (before the next answer's label) put a "Goto Start". You'll also need to put some Wait #'s somewhere to make the cutscene between bringing up the question and bringing it up again be long enough to show all of the speech. You want the number of turns waited multiplied by the time per turn (the number you have after Cutscene that initiates the cutscene) to be greater than or equal to the sum of all the numbers of milliseconds the speeches last for (which it shows after "Speech whoever" in parentheses on each speech command). And there should of course be a "That's all for now" answer to the question, which goes to another new Label that exits the cutscene gracefully with a Cutscene 0. (EDIT: on closer inspection I presume that's what "Goodbye" does anyway)

Thanks for the help, pal! I'm sitting on a pretty good dialogue tree now, thanks to you!

06-04-2016 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need some help with dialogue options ((Require a hand with scripting.))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com