Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged
icon Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (0)  
If a monster is pushed towards a sword, then if the movement order is right, i.e the sword wielder moves later than the pusher, it'll properly trigger a kill.

However, if a monster is pushed towards a spear or pickaxe, then no matter which side you push them from the monster will not be killed. Intuitively we'd think that killing a monster is the same whether you do it directly (moving weapon towards monster) or reversely (moving monster towards weapon), so perhaps this guarantees a change

Incidentally, pushing a monster towards a caber with a non-caber isn't considered a kill, and pushing a monster towards a dagger has no effects whatsoever.

(By the way, pushing a dagger around only triggers the thrust part. It doesn't not give the wielder bodykill status, even if it's the Player being pushed.)

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 02-25-2016 04:17 PM]
02-25-2016 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (0)  
A weapon can only kill on the wielder's turn, (or when calculating tar stabs) and staying in place with a spear or pickaxe doesn't kill. (You can kill without moving or turning with the spear, but you have to bump whatever's in front of you to do so.) So, while this is weird, it seems to be in line with the general rules.

Not sure about the caber, though. If the caber has something pushed onto it, and the caber-wielder stays still, I'd expect that to be a kill.
02-25-2016 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (0)  
I get the impression the Caber kills things against walls and blocks explosions because the caber is "like a moving wall" and only being crushed between two "walls" kills something. So a stick wouldn't be "wally" enough to make the kill, but another caber would.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-25-2016 07:52 PM]
02-25-2016 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
A wait move with a caber kills when something is under it, regardless of surroundings. I remember there being a bugfix related to this, might be some minor quirk with it I'm forgetting.

So if you push into a caber, and the caber-wielder doesn't move or turn (so a decoy, for instance), that should be a kill. If the caber-wielder moves so that their caber is no longer over whatever got pushed there, that shouldn't be a kill.
02-25-2016 at 08:24 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for reporting these issues, uncopy2002! We'll investigate them at some point. Since we already have a 5.1 release candidate posted, I expect changes to fix these issues you're reporting will go into a later patch.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-26-2016 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (+1)  
I was glancing over older bug reports in case anything big had gone overlooked and realized something relevant to this one:

You can destroy a keg or mirror by pushing it into a spear or pickaxe from the killing side, regardless of the move order of its wielder.

This is probably a consequence of the fact that it's always been possible to destroy a mirror by pushing it directly into a sword - whatever process handled that has probably been adapted and reused.

However, the current behavior with monsters is a consequence of the fact that attacks by weapons are only processed on their wielder's turn (outside of the above case). This is longstanding behavior - it goes all the way back to tar not being cut if it grows into the space where a sword is. So if any changes are made, they should be thought about very carefully.

Basically just bumping this for further discussion. My personal opinion is that it's probably best to leave things as-is to avoid breaking things, even if it's not entirely intuitive.
10-07-2020 at 12:28 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I think this should be fixed. In my opinion it's extremely unintuitive if pushing a monster onto a spiky thing doesn't kill it.

I don't think pushing onto cabers should kill though, I agree with Xindaris here.

10-07-2020 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (+1)  
I would expect a caber to block movement into the tile entirely, so pushing a monster under a caber should behave like trying to push the monster into a wall.

I'm pretty sure this is how the game logic currently works anyway. I just did a test and was unable to push a decoy under a caber using a staff, but I could crush a decoy against a caber using another caber.

I guess I'm just voicing my support for "make spear/pickaxe kill but leave the caber as it is"

10-07-2020 at 08:27 AM
skell
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (+2)  
Okay, how it works right now:
1. Pushing monsters into sword - monster ends up under the sword and is not hurt by the pushing. They can be damaged by the stab that happens when the entity who wields the sword has its move. This is a behavior that goes all the way back to forever.
2. Pushing monsters into a caber - they do not end up under the caber.
3. Any other weapon - monster lands under the weapon, safe.

What's most intuitive to me:
1. Pushing a monster into a sword - immediately stab the monster.
2. Pushing a monster into a caber - prevent the push.
3. Pushing a monster into a tile occupied by dagger - nothing happens.
4. Pushing a monster into the monster wielding a dagger from the front - nothing happens. I believe it makes most sense to assume daggers are a weapon that requires intent to use.
4. Pushing a monster into a sharp edge of any other weapon - immediately stab the monster.
5. Pushing a monster into a flat edge of any other weapon - monster ends up on the weapon's tile.

Why it makes sense to me:
1. For the most part it's a simple translation of real-world phenomena into the world of DROD. It doesn't matter if I am pushed with a sword into someone else or someone else is pushed onto my sword, the effect is the same.
2. It has the symmetry of how most people expect swords to work - there have been probably a dozen threads in this board about why something can survive under a sword/not trigger. Tar growing a vulnerable edge onto a sword being a prime example.
3. I think it has better puzzle potential

What are the dangers:
1. A lot of broken demos and rooms? Someone more familiar with post-TSS architecture can most likely better

10-07-2020 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
skell wrote: What's most intuitive to me:
1. Pushing a monster into a sword - immediately stab the monster.

Why it makes sense to me:
1. For the most part it's a simple translation of real-world phenomena into the world of DROD. It doesn't matter if I am pushed with a sword into someone else or someone else is pushed onto my sword, the effect is the same.

I completely agree -- but the big problem with making any change is that this isn't how swords work in DROD, and that seems to be too well-established to change. As Fogel said, the underlying behaviour (swords only stab on their wielder's turn) goes back to DROD 1, and it's had an entire level devoted to it in Advanced Concepts. I don't like it but I think it's too late to change.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-07-2020 02:49 PM]
10-07-2020 at 02:48 PM
skell
Nuntar wrote:
I completely agree -- but the big problem with making any change is that this isn't how swords work in DROD, and that seems to be too well-established to change. As Fogel said, the underlying behaviour (swords only stab on their wielder's turn) goes back to DROD 1, and it's had an entire level devoted to it in Advanced Concepts. I don't like it but I think it's too late to change.

Oh I am aware of that - I mention it in the same post you quoted. But you're missing my point - I am not saying change how sword or weapon stabs work. Change how pushed monsters react to weapons. There is already a way to multi-stab with the same character by pushing them (though it's still limited to one stab per tile), and you can achieve the effect I am talking about without touching AE-era mechanics.

That still doesn't change the fact it would most likely break demos and rooms, though.

10-07-2020 at 03:09 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (+3)  
The behavior is present in every room that involves pushing weapons and things with swords, which is probably not a small number of rooms.

It would definitely break demos. I remember at least one room where I pushed a guard into another guard's sword and the second guard turned his sword to avoid the kill.

Succor, in the Arky's Revenge compilation, depends on the current behavior. Spoilers for that room's solution.

Click here to view the secret text

I'm not sure off the top of my head what other rooms depend on the current behavior for monsters. Another Arky contest entry, Bumfuzzling, depends on the current behavior for mirrors.
10-07-2020 at 04:34 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
skell wrote: Oh I am aware of that - I mention it in the same post you quoted. But you're missing my point - I am not saying change how sword or weapon stabs work. Change how pushed monsters react to weapons.

I don't think I'm missing your point. I'm saying it's conceptually inconsistent if we have "sword-bearers only stab on their turn" but also "sword = instant death for pushing".

You make a good point, though, that we already have the situation where A pushing B, if B is sworded, so that B's sword strikes C counts as a kill on A's turn, so we have an inconsistency no matter how we handle this.

10-07-2020 at 06:04 PM
skell
Nuntar wrote:
I don't think I'm missing your point. I'm saying it's conceptually inconsistent if we have "sword-bearers only stab on their turn" but also "sword = instant death for pushing".

Ah, gotcha. I thought I was just not expressing myself clearly, which I tend to do (and I was writing that reply during a short break).

You're right, there is no ultimate consistency we can have. I wonder though if we only changed it for Spear and Pickaxe, as the title of the thread suggests. There'd be way fewer chances of this breaking loads of demos.

10-07-2020 at 06:08 PM
mrimer
I'm okay with us changing it for spear and pickaxe.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-07-2020 10:04 PM]
10-07-2020 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill (+5)  
Two things. This reply I made applies to this. I won't be implementing or attempting to implement this change after all.

Second thing, see what I've found in the code for pushing monsters:
void CCurrentGame::WeaponPushback(
//FIXME: Need to discuss whether interactions with tokens/fuses/etc. are useful

I guess the discussion never happened.

[Last edited by skell at 10-15-2020 08:39 AM]
10-15-2020 at 08:38 AM
mrimer
That is true.

Okay.

10-16-2020 at 03:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Pushing monsters towards a spear/pickaxe at the killing side doesn't trigger a kill
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com