Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Halph's interactions with temporal clones
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged
icon Halph's interactions with temporal clones (+3)  
This is my first post at the forum, so, hi! :)

I want to address the way Halph interacts with temporal clones, which I think is very faulty and misleading. Currently, in TSS 5.0.1.6060, it works like this:

When the player steps on a temporal split point token, Halph keeps receiving and obeying commands from the player as usual (“follow me”, “stay here”, “door!” etc.), leading you to think that he can be used to solve the puzzle. But as soon as you press tab, and time is reversed/a temporal clone is created, Halph instantly “forgets” every single command you have given him since you stepped on the token. In other words: Temporal clones can't command Halph to do anything (but give off the impression of being able to do so before being activated). This, in turn, renders these commands (in most cases) pretty pointless.

Even though the current behavior of Halph could be used in some “quirk”-puzzles (to map out an otherwise impossible path for the temporal clones), it's both unintuitive and illogical (why wouldn't the clone be able to yell at Halph, when it screams when it dies?)... This makes Halph + temporal split point tokens a bad puzzle combination in my opinion. But it could have been a great one! I purpose this alternative behavior, which I think is both intuitive and more flexible, and therefore has much greater puzzle potential:

Make Halph receive commands from temporal clones, in the same way he does from Beethro, and make him obey the most recent one given to him at any one time. He should of course treat the different clones/player as different entities, so that when he is bumped by a temporal clone, he follows the clone, and not the current player. This way, Halph seems to behave exactly as he normally does.

Implementing this would, of course, only have an effect on rooms that contain both Halph and temporal split point tokens, and seeing how Halph is a very uncommon element in user-made holds, I doubt that many (if any) holds would currently be affected.

Lastly, as this is my first post: Thanks for the great game!
12-11-2015 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Halph's interactions with temporal clones (+1)  
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for posting. You make some good points about the interactions between temporal clones and Halph. It's particularly weird since pretty much every other character (Monsters, slayers, etc.) treat temporal clones exactly the same as they would Beethro for the most part.

On the other hand, there is at least one room in a published hold that makes use of time clones and Halph: A Journey Through Time: 5S1E. Changes that would break demos in published holds are typically avoided unless the thing being changed was considered to be a bug. One way to possibly get around this is to have a new Halph game element. We already have "Young Halph" and "regular Halph" who behave slightly differently (I believe "Young Halph" can't go in shallow water and "regular Halph" can. What about having an "Old Halph" that can respond to temporal clones?) Just a thought for how to accomplish this feature request without breaking demos.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 12-11-2015 08:23 PM]
12-11-2015 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
icon Re: Halph's interactions with temporal clones (0)  
Temporal clones don't bump. they wait instead. So nothing weird there mechanics-wise.

If you wan't to take into consideration that "yeah but it's Beethros clone and Halph follows Beethro when instructed to." It would make some sence normaly, but say you leave Halp in the clones already recorded path. Now what? The clone has no recorded interaction with Halp.

So... You could have a new Halp that follows any Mute Beethro that bumps into them. But You'd need to modify the clones to be able to bump (attemp to move where it can't originaly), but then if ya move'em by pushing they'll be able to move. So you could record a lengthy move set by blocking most directions that the clone would act out once pushed. (pretty sure that would ruin a lot of existing rooms)

Don't wana be a downer but this probably won't change.
Anyways, enjoy your stay at the forums.

12-12-2015 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
D.Craven_0ne wrote:
Temporal clones don't bump. they wait instead. So nothing weird there mechanics-wise.

This isn't true. If you have Beethro hit a time token, then bump a wall, then hit tab, the time clone will also bump the wall. It is recorded as a bump move. This behavior has actually already been used in a puzzle in a published hold. It's true that a clone attempting to move into a space he can't is not recorded as a bump move, but that doesn't mean time clones can't bump.

12-12-2015 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
By wait I actualy meant "wait" as in a numpad 5 move that counts as a turn not pausing its replay. If in the scenario you just described you push the clone so that it has no obstacle blocking it when it would bump the wall, it still won't move.
(edit: I'm wrong again, P token activated T clones that originaly bumped into walls do activate orbs so they do record bumps. But if bumping is a valid move then why does it stop the replays when you're fidling with the clone and ends up getting stuck on the wall? xD)

Then again if you have a power token active you can have it activate an orb(no sword) by bumping into it... which counts as a move for it. But if you push it a tile closer it stops replayig yet it still keeps activating the orb. So...

Well I dunno, they definitely don't make it obvious if they bump unless it actualy has an effect. Also I sure as hell wouldn't follow one around. How can you tell if it's not an outdated recording and just go on the most epic of pointless adventures? :P

Buuuuut still since "being in the way" is something the bumped character reacts to(by the logic of the orb -and scripts now that I think about it,) I guess a new Halph could work after all. My bad. ;)

[Last edited by D.Craven_0ne at 12-12-2015 03:02 AM : COS I WAS WRONG AGAIN? xD]
12-12-2015 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Yeah, the "bump" move is pretty weird. "Move north" and "bump north" are distinct movements even though they don't have separate keystrokes. When time clones are blocked things get even weirder. A clone that moved north when recording but is subsequently blocked doesn't do a bump move, but tries and fails to do a North Move. But as you noted this isn't quite the same as just waiting either since it will still do weird things like activate orbs with it's body, push things with a staff, etc as though it had either moved or bumped in that direction. Super weird.

As for having a Halph version that follows clones, there are a lot of things that would be tricky to decide. For instance if a clone attempt to move into Halph with a non bumping move, should that count as a bump? I can see good arguments for both yes and no.

12-12-2015 at 05:47 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I seem to recall it being mentioned elsewhere that timeclone bumping/obstacles works like this:

-A recorded move in a direction that is no longer available causes the clone to wait until that move is open, not continuing its replay until it is.
-A recorded bump against a wall causes the clone to bump whatever it's bumping.

In other words, the recording makes a distinction between bumping and actually moving in the original timeline, translating those moves into respectively attempting to bump and attempting to move. Recorded waits are a third case, translated into waits where the timeclone is still advancing forward in its timeline, which it isn't doing when "waiting" for an open move.

As for Halph not obeying timeclones..I actually discovered this behavior recently and thought it was neat, didn't occur to me at all as unnatural or illogical. After all, mimics don't copy a timeclone's movements and a recording is actually unrecorded and the token turned back to completely untouched status if a recording player steps on a mimic potion. Besides which, it has some really great potential for puzzles where the original timeline makes Halph let him through, and then the second timeline has to open the doors some other way. Seeing this behavior immediately gave me an idea for a room I want to make, which is something I can't say about anything I'd really consider a bug.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-12-2015 05:57 AM]
12-12-2015 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Xindaris wrote:
-A recorded move in a direction that is no longer available causes the clone to wait until that move is open, not continuing its replay until it is.

That's what I thought too, but it's not quite correct as D.Craven_0ne discovered. A time clone that was recorded as moving North with sword pointed south can be pushed to be just south of an orb. If a power token was hit, the clone will attempt and fail the north move, but still activate the orb as though it had been bumped. Similarly, a time clone attempting a blocked North move can push a mirror that is on it's staff (if the mirror is on a wall say). Similarly,a clone can be recorded moving north with a dagger, then on replay have a south facing force arrow block his path. He can still kill a roach with the blocked attempt at moving North. All of these things are a lot more like a bump move than a wait move. I had actually not realized any of this until testing it out in the editor just now.

12-12-2015 at 06:08 AM
Bent
Insoluble wrote: It's particularly weird since pretty much every other character (Monsters, slayers, etc.) treat temporal clones exactly the same as they would Beethro for the most part.

Yes, that's exactly why I don't like the current behavior. If the other characters also treated the temporal clones as ghosts, Halph's reaction would make perfect sense.

Insoluble wrote: On the other hand, there is at least one room in a published hold that makes use of time clones and Halph: A Journey Through Time: 5S1E. Changes that would break demos in published holds are typically avoided unless the thing being changed was considered to be a bug. One way to possibly get around this is to have a new Halph game element. We already have "Young Halph" and "regular Halph" who behave slightly differently (I believe "Young Halph" can't go in shallow water and "regular Halph" can. What about having an "Old Halph" that can respond to temporal clones?) Just a thought for how to accomplish this feature request without breaking demos.

I understand. Adding yet another Halph, who in most rooms would act identical to the others, seems a little overboard to me though.
I looked up the room in question, and saw that the architect used “Young Halph”. Another possible solution would therefore be to only change the behavior of “regular Halph”. Actually, I think this would be even better than changing both, since it allows the architect to make use of both behaviors in puzzles, and choose the one he feels acts more natural. It also adds another meaningful difference between the two elements, which is a good thing in my book. And makes sense chronologically (the newer Halph reacting to the newest element). And lastly: This way, most rooms involving temporal split point tokens and Halph would be “un-broken”, just by replacing “Halph” with “Young Halph” (, whether or not this would break demos I have no idea).

Another thing: In the “TSS 5.0.2 ---> 5.1"-tread skell writes that this bug fix will be implemented:

skell wrote: * Temporal clones can now bump into characters and make them react to Wait for Player to Touch Me command [39362]“.

This adds even more inconsistency between Halph and other characters, since other characters now will react to temporal clones bumping them, and they will be doing so as if it was the player bumping them.
12-12-2015 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
There are four other cases (that I know of) of entities treating the player and timeclones differently:

* The script command "Wait for entity Player" only responds to the player. This can be used to make custom monsters that track the player, or track timeclones but not the player. Hyperme has made some interesting puzzles with these in a hold in beta. Similarly, the variables _X and _Y always track the player's location.
* In TSS, temporal aumtlich, which are a scripted element, only attack the player. However, once 5.1 is released we're going to make a "fixed" temporal aumtlich for Entry Point, which chooses between the player, timeclones and other targets in the same way as regular monsters.
* As already mentioned, mimics respond only to the player.
* The brain pathmap only targets the player. Guards still choose whichever of the player and timeclones is closest, but if their target is a timeclone, they attack it with unbrained movement. Brained roaches only attack the player, unless there is no available path.

However, mimics can't respond to two entities at once, and similarly the brain pathmap can only have a single target, because of the way it's designed. (That's why the same behaviour is shown when guards / brained monsters choose between the player and a stalwart.) There's no similar reason why Halph couldn't respond to two entities, since he is only responding to one at a time (unless both tap him in one turn, but then we could just say the player takes priority).

It doesn't make much sense for anything to treat the player and timeclones differently, because timeclones are the player, a few minutes removed in time. But I'm okay with this being overridden for gameplay reasons in the case of entities that inherently have a single target, like mimics and the brain pathmap. Halph doesn't fall into this category.

So, yes, I'm uncomfortable with the current behaviour. I feel guilty for not highlighting it as an issue when AJTT was in Architecture. (That said, this was long before 5.1, and we had no idea that skell was going to come along and work like a Citizen at actually getting all the bugs people had found with 5.0 fixed. At that time, there were interesting discussions about what the behaviour should have been with things like tar growing over disabled force arrows, but there was a general feeling of "TSS is out now, nothing's going to get changed".)

I think... maybe... the suggestion of making Halph and Young Halph behave differently is a good one. The biggest problem with it is that, once players have seen a room with Halph + timeclones, they are likely to assume Halph and Young Halph behave the same. But they could play around until they discovered what the behaviour is. The AJTT room already requires you to either know the behaviour beforehand or figure it out by experimentation. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; recently rewatching Pearls' LP of Gigantic Jewel Lost, I've been reminded that experimenting to figure out aspects of behaviour you don't know can be fun and rewarding.

In favour, both "Halph responds to timeclones" and "Halph doesn't respond to timeclones" lead to interesting puzzles that you just can't make with other elements. On the "doesn't respond" side, there's using Halph as an obstacle, as in the AJTT room. On the "responds" side, I had this idea last night: when recording, Beethro bumps Halph for "follow me", then again for "stay put". After rewinding, the second Beethro bumps Halph for "follow me" and moves so that he is in the same place when the timeclone does the "stay put" bump, which thus changes to a "follow me instead" bump...

12-12-2015 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
If this is changed to a Young Halph/Adult Halph thing, it would be pretty interesting to do a time-shenanigans-themed hold where Halph is younger or older depending on which entrance to a room you use...

Possible explanation for the suggested new behavior: Halph's smart enough to figure out which Beethro is the current timeline one regardless of his age, but when he's young he's too easily confused by multiple orders so he just sticks to main timeline Beethro. The older version of Halph doesn't get confused, and goes with whoever last made the request.

(also, multiple orders in one turn are still going to resolve at different times due to movement order, though Player Takes Priority would fit with that explanation I just suggested)
12-12-2015 at 04:05 PM
Bent
Nuntar wrote: The biggest problem with it is that, once players have seen a room with Halph + timeclones, they are likely to assume Halph and Young Halph behave the same.

Of course, the exact same thing could be said of the difference between Halph/Young Halph and Stalwarts/Soldiers when it comes to how they react to shallow water.

Nuntar wrote: And that's not necessarily a bad thing; […] experimenting to figure out aspects of behaviour you don't know can be fun and rewarding.

I agree.

Dragon Fogel wrote: Possible explanation for the suggested new behavior: Halph's smart enough to figure out which Beethro is the current timeline one regardless of his age, but when he's young he's too easily confused by multiple orders so he just sticks to main timeline Beethro. The older version of Halph doesn't get confused, and goes with whoever last made the request.

Sure. An alternative explanation could be that Young Halph senses that something is “off” about the temporal clones, and therefore does not trust them, while the older Halph just sees a bunch of Beethros. The reason being that children often are extremely receptive to the mood of their caretakers (to compensate for their lack of experience, physical/mental power, etc.).

Dragon Fogel wrote: (also, multiple orders in one turn are still going to resolve at different times due to movement order, though Player Takes Priority would fit with that explanation I just suggested)

I'd prefer just letting the movement order take care of it, since it's more in line with the rest of the DROD ruleset. Also, player-priority would make Halph's behavior (as a game-element) less logically coherent: Normally, Halph always obeys the most recent command given to him, but since the player moves before the temporal clones in the turn, player-priority would make Halph obey the turn's least recent command.
12-12-2015 at 09:32 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Halph's interactions with temporal clones (+4)  
I don't like the idea of having different behavior for two elements that look and behave almost the same, so if any change were to be made I think it makes more sense to keep it consistent between both Halphs. While this difference would be something that most likely would come up naturally (at least if you thought you can time-bump him and suddenly it didn't work, in the other direction it'd be worse), it would be more sour than euphoric experience.

That being said, in my subjective opinion the fact that Halph does not react to time clones bumping him or doors makes perfect sense, since Halph is a very player-oriented entity and time clones have the aura of otherness.

Also I am not so sure allowing clones to bump Halph would be any more consistent. Sure, if during recording you bumped him and then on playback it happened on the same recorded move. But what if in the recording you bumped a brain and later replaced it with Halph? In-universe it wouldn't really make sense. But then again I'd rather talk about things that make sense mechanically, since lore is very malleable.

Ultimately both behaviors can make for interesting puzzles and I understand the desire to have both.

And I'll be honest here - if this were to be change I am not going to be the one to code it, because it'd be a pain in the butt to do so :).

11-23-2020 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Halph's interactions with temporal clones
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com